Spark Plugs for the Gen 2

bigron

Registered
Hello folks, looking for some updated info the which spark plugs to get for the Gen 2.
I know the stock are the CR9EIA-9.

I ve have been repeatedly told that the new NGK iridiums are the CR9EIX which can be used as replacements. Part no. 3512
However all the websites seem to suggest these are for the Gen 1 strangely.
I am okay with getting the iridiums but not if they are for the Gen 1.
Anyone can throw some light on this please.
Thanks in advance.

Ok, so the OEM plugs for the 2011 model are here on this listing . . .
why not just use these?
then there is no confusion.
1565937407557.png

More info from the oRg . . .
1565937751633.png

Last edited:
From the NGK Website:

IRIDIUM IX® VS. OE IRIDIUM SPARK PLUGS

NGK builds two types of iridium spark plugs: OE Iridium and Iridium IX®. Every plug in the Laser Series was designed for an OEM application. All dual precious metal plugs are designed to provide maximum longevity. For the OE Iridium series, dual precious metal means iridium on the center tip and platinum on the ground electrode. Some of these plugs have special resistors or multiple ground electrodes, depending on the original equipment requirements.
The Iridium IX® spark plugs are a single precious metal aftermarket performance plug. They are a great option for modified engines, and where recommended, are appropriate replacements for OEM spark plugs. Iridium IX® plugs are an excellent upgrade from standard nickel plugs. The Iridium IX® plugs are offered in various heat ranges and sizes to fit most automotive and non-automotive applications.
These two plugs perform similarly, due to their fine-wire tip design, but the service interval is different; the Laser Series are typically designed to last 80 to 100 thousand miles, where as the Iridium IX® spark plugs are designed to last 40 to 50 thousand miles.

C = 10.0 Thread Size
R = Resistor Construction
9 = Heat Range, 10 is bottom of the cool range
E = Thread Reach 19.0mm
I = One-Sided Iridium Spark Plug

IX = Iridium IX Spark Plug

-9 = Factory gap of 0.9mm
If none, NGK recommend Motorcycle gap 0.7-0.8mm

6289CR9EIA-9NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plug

1565938586712.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3521CR9EIXNGK Iridium IX Spark Plug

1565938606401.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys.
I am not in States so ordering from a website their and shipping over the pond is not feasible.
The iridiums 3521s are readily avaible in auto parts stores where I am.
The stock ones have to be ordered from a dealer and would take 15 days after ordering, for the dealer them receive it and then ship them to me.
If the 3512 are the direct fit I would just go and get them from an auto shop.

Hello folks, looking for some updated info the which spark plugs to get for the Gen 2.
I know the stock are the CR9EIA-9.

I ve have been repeatedly told that the new NGK iridiums are the CR9EIX which can be used as replacements. Part no. 3512
However all the websites seem to suggest these are for the Gen 1 strangely.
I am okay with getting the iridiums but not if they are for the Gen 1.
Anyone can throw some light on this please.
Thanks in advance.
OK so I'm running into a similar issue that Ron had with getting spark plugs for the gen2 motor. Had several shops offer me the cr9eix plugs which going by the post @ottafish put above are almost the same aside from the gap that I can do myself and that the ground electrode is nickel instead of platinum. I'm just wondering if anyone else is running the cr9eix plugs in a gen 2 and if they've noticed any issues. I had problems getting the correct ones at the start of covid thru my work with its being an ngk dealer but figured that was because of all the shut downs but finding them in stock near me is looking like it's gonna be an issue and I was hoping to get this bike finished this weekend so I didn't want to have to order and wait if the eix plugs are the right ones. I did cross reference the denso number and it shows both plugs being suitable replacements but I like to double check the knowledge of the org before making any mistakes.

I recently replaced mine, but I stuck with OEM. Found them on eBay and listing said 1999 to 2017 models.

I recently replaced mine, but I stuck with OEM. Found them on eBay and listing said 1999 to 2017 models.
So you put the cr9eia-9 in yours Miguel? It's funny the ad said 99-17 because 1st gen calls for cr9e which is the same thing only in. I've seen the cr9eix advertised as an iridium replacement for for the first gen but read some folks like kiwi had issues with them. I can find them online but with them being the biggest faked plug out there because of the price I'm leary of ordering online and prefer going to a parts store that is an actual ngk dealer.

So you put the cr9eia-9 in yours Miguel? It's funny the ad said 99-17 because 1st gen calls for cr9e which is the same thing only in. I've seen the cr9eix advertised as an iridium replacement for for the first gen but read some folks like kiwi had issues with them. I can find them online but with them being the biggest faked plug out there because of the price I'm leary of ordering online and prefer going to a parts store that is an actual ngk dealer.
Correct. I just typed the OEM plug number and several came up. These were from one of those Suzuki dealers that sells online. They sat on my workbench for awhile before I finally replaced them. @dave s, the seller and part delivered seemed like the real deal to me and I haven’t had any issues. Here is a screenshot:

384278A1-3F4A-4D8E-B0BD-2EB50ABCCA6D.png

folks?

2 years ago (or 3) i had a longer phone call directly with a german ngk member seemed to be an engineer or similar
and that man told me that the gen2 iridiums look outside quite similar to the gen1´s
but the so called ignition flame´s distance (my words) differs

and the use of the gen2 iridium sparks in a gen1 could cause issues.
so his statement.

i guess,
the best time to replace, i guess, should be caused by everybody´s own feeling about how the engine starts and runs
if you reach then with the standards the 20 000 km line - fine
and
if you reach then with the iridiums the 40 000 km line - fine too

my hint was to make an excel sheet when what was done incl. date and milage and to "follow" that
i do so now for over 15 years in special excel sheets for my busa and my fj1200 etc.

big grin - even the refill of my scott auto chain oiler i note there - bit splendid, yes, but i feel fine that way ;)

@mabupa
@dave s

yes,
the best way will be to join the local suzuki dealer for new sparks
or
at a specialized motorcycle spare part dealer
or
if you definitely know the internet dealer as definitely trustable, at him!

but nowhere else !

all elsewhere bought (faked) spark plugs can cause biggest issues - up to a "burnt through" piston :(

so you won´t get happy with those saved bucks !
quite the reverse! :(

Hi folks,
Coming back to the same query in 2023! Going through the same delima, whether CR9EIX shall be used instead of CR9EIA-9 (OEM) as a replacement. The only reason is that I am unable to find the OEM ones here.

Is there any one who has used the iridium ones, CR9EIX? Any reviews?

@mabupa
@dave s

yes,
the best way will be to join the local suzuki dealer for new sparks
or
at a specialized motorcycle spare part dealer
or
if you definitely know the internet dealer as definitely trustable, at him!

but nowhere else !

all elsewhere bought (faked) spark plugs can cause biggest issues - up to a "burnt through" piston :(

so you won´t get happy with those saved bucks !
quite the reverse! :(
All very true, but I laugh at the way you explain things Frank, awesome!

Hi folks,
Coming back to the same query in 2023! Going through the same delima, whether CR9EIX shall be used instead of CR9EIA-9 (OEM) as a replacement. The only reason is that I am unable to find the OEM ones here.

Using them right now in my Gen ii with the Turbo. Both versions of plugs have Iridium in them. Platinum just lasts longer than Nickel. That's it. That's why Platinum cost more. # 9 is the heat number. They are both 9's.
I find it's just all hype.
I've travelled 160km so far with the CR9IEX (bought from the local auto store).
All you need to do is gap them correctly for the application which is important. It is at the end of the day just a 4 cycle engine. The Busa engine isn't some magical, mystical engine needing parts only found at the peak of Mt. Fuji when the Japanese Morning Glory flower is in bloom :laugh:

The CR9IEX is performing perfectly. The good thing is, Platinum will have a longer life than Nickel.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

The actual difference is the "ix" plug is described as a "fine wire iridium" but they are the correct plug for your bike and actually what most suzuki dealers will give you a well when you go to buy them. Bun running them in my 2014 for 50k and pretty much all my suzuki customers.

Using them right now in my Gen ii with the Turbo. Both versions of plugs have Iridium in them. Platinum just lasts longer than Nickel. That's it. That's why Platinum cost more. # 9 is the heat number. They are both 9's.
I find it's just all hype.
I've travelled 160km so far with the CR9IEX (bought from the local auto store).
All you need to do is gap them correctly for the application which is important. It is at the end of the day just a 4 cycle engine. The Busa engine isn't some magical, mystical engine needing parts only found at the peak of Mt. Fuji when the Japanese Morning Glory flower is in bloom :laugh:

The CR9IEX is performing perfectly. The good thing is, Platinum will have a longer life than Nickel.
You are right and it is worth checking the gap even tho they do come pre gapped but have to be real careful on how you gap iridium and platinum plugs and only check the gap with feeler gauges not the old gap tool we used on copper plugs and carried around on our key rings :laugh:. I don't know much about the whole turbo thing but have been told that the cheaper cr9e plugs work as good or better with turbos but that's just knowledge I picked up from people that actually know turbos.

Back