Spark plugs?

my owners manual says to replace the spark plugs every 7500 miles or 24 months, which ever come first.
How important is it to change spark plugs right at 7500 miles?

It's a pretty quick and easy to change out the plugs. I'm sure they would have plenty of miles left on them if you were on an extended trip and needed to wait a couple thousand miles. I changed mine a little late and they came out clean.

:beerchug:

Hell on my last two busa's I never changed the plugs. I took them out at 30,000 miles and they still looked like new! Changing them at 7,500 miles like the book tells you is a rip off.

ahem...................over 20k and now 5 years on original plugs :whistle:

perhaps gappin them if needed but shouldn't need to change em. BTW, whats the gap spec on the plugs?......guess i'll have to scope out da manual
Posted via Mobile Device

I went by the book (7,500 miles) on each of my last two rides and both times the plugs looked brand spankin' new.............waste of time and $$$$.

I went by the book (7,500 miles) on each of my last two rides and both times the plugs looked brand spankin' new.............waste of time and $$$$.
Yea kind of the idea.. keep in mind that a car with the new ignition systems can go 100K plus on a set of thunderbolts... These bikes have amazingly good ignition systems and so I just ran mine till the hint of issues started (hard start or mileage falls off)

I didn't check my manual till I had 14k already, then changed them, was running fine before that, but noticed better gas mileage and performance after the new ones
I Have the NGK 9 .... somethings..lol

I changed mine at 7500 and they looked brand new! Now I've got 25,000 miles on the bike but it's running fine. Might just go another season on this set.

Back