Spark Plugs?

Speed King

Banned
Is it fairly easy to change the spark plugs?
Do you have to gap the spark plugs or do they come pre-gapped?
Are some spark plugs better than others and where do you go to get your spark plugs?
Thanks guys and gals:colgate:

I'll take a swing at this. Fairly easy shouldn't take a terribly long time to get to, tank has to come up and etc call it an afternoon job. Most plugs come pre-gapped but with as cheap and easy as it is to check its probably worth doing. Plugs are made of different materials and some have different heat ranges, there may be a plug that works better but with a stock bike I can't imagine a large difference in anything other then life expectancy even then I wouldn't think it would be huge. Stay with the stock plug unless you have a good reason to switch like nitrous, turbo, supercharger etc.

Also I would imagine this has been a blank subject because it has been a answered and talked about to death, please check the search in the future.

:thumbsup:

I'll take a swing at this. Fairly easy shouldn't take a terribly long time to get to, tank has to come up and etc call it an afternoon job. Most plugs come pre-gapped but with as cheap and easy as it is to check its probably worth doing. Plugs are made of different materials and some have different heat ranges, there may be a plug that works better but with a stock bike I can't imagine a large difference in anything other then life expectancy even then I wouldn't think it would be huge. Stay with the stock plug unless you have a good reason to switch like nitrous, turbo, supercharger etc.

Also I would imagine this has been a blank subject because it has been a answered and talked about to death, please check the search in the future.

:thumbsup:

thanks k03gsxr750:thumbsup:

The Iridium plugs are pre-gapped and shouldn't need to be gapped. The standard plugs should be checked with a plug gauge prior to installation. I'd agree that it's an afternoon job to get the tank up, airbox off and gain access to the plugs. a little anti-seize is a good idea.

On the Gen II the complete air box has to come off wich isn't too bad but can be difficult for those who are all thumbs. The coils are on top of the plugs wich just unlug from the top of the plug and wiring harness. Gen II has Irridium plugs not standard ( NGK are common )... should be pre gapped but worth a quick check. Be careful on tightening and cross threading since the head is aluminum...

Back