Sometimes: ride fast, ride alone

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Since I laid a flagstone walk on Saturday, I earned the right to ride and explore on Sunday! Nevada is like the outback in Australia, except for the Sierras on the California border, north, south and east are simply without people. I've always wanted to explore this little town called Gerlach, about 100 miles north of Reno and totally desolate! You go there and make a right into even more desolate space to get to "Burning Man", for those of you that have heard of it(amazing, once a year, temporary city that springs out of nothing, thrives, then disappears annually, naked people and all).
Anyways, I needed to scuff in my new PP's, test my new Beltronics radar detector, and see if I needed knee surgery with the bike raised 1" in the back and the Sato rearsets! The ride ended up being 400 miles and I still got home for dinner!
I think when I do my next week long tour, I'll put the Buell pegs back on...one or two dayers, I'll stick with the rearsets. The compromise is clearly...comfort vrs. performance, the type of the ride dictates the equipment.
Anyway, here's the pics...
1)about 40 miles out of Reno towards Gerlach

P1000690.JPG

2) The giant lake, like an inland sea...Lake Pyramid

P1000691.JPG

3) this pic doesn't do justice to the "I'm on another planet feeling" of this open expanse! The road literally disappears off the curvature of the Earth!

P1000693.JPG

My track leathers, new tires, a FIFTY mile straightaway, new radar detector, early Sunday morning, no one around within 60 miles, what do you think my cruising speed was?

P1000695.JPG

Sometimes you feel so puny! I love the forest twisties, but this moonscape also does your soul good.

P1000697.JPG

I came over a rise and, as you can see, the Sierras just suddenly occur! This was a picturesque little place called Surprise Valley.

P1000698.JPG

Once I got into the mountains, I hit some little one laners that Tim from Pashnit would call "goat trails"!

At that point I was having so much fun, sorry, I took no more pictures!

Raydog

P1000699.JPG

OK, 5 minutes passed and nobody asked me how fast I went on that straightaway so I'm tellin you....182 mph, Zumo GPS speed (I wanted to take a picture of the tach and speedo but was busy noticing that the telephone poles looked like a picket fence!

OK, 5 minutes passed and nobody asked me how fast I went on that straightaway so I'm tellin you....182 mph, Zumo GPS speed (I wanted to take a picture of the tach and speedo but was busy noticing that the telephone poles looked like a picket fence!
LOL i was just gonna say something about that never ending drag strip out there 182!!!!!! i bet you had your emergency brake on to!
bowdown.gif

The darn speedometer was bouncing around 210 mph...it must be optimistic on the big end to the tune of 30% !!

Back