Someone tell me about snow blowers

can you just hire somebody to do it?

wink.gif

Hey welcome to Idaho, Not sure about the snow blower but if you are ever over in the Boise area, we have lots of riders here. Maybe I can make it that way as well. Rock on and enjoy the snow. It is gone before you know it and riding season is on again!!

Just pay someone like runeight mentioned...That way you can sit back in the warm and drink some coffee and wave at the ole chap doing it. you'll both have a smile on your face and 1 less piece of equipment hogging up garage space and not to mention maintain. Work smart, not hard. Your question is answered and I'll even waive the $50 consultation fee.

(GSXTacy @ Nov. 17 2006,09:17) Well Ill be the first one to say that a two stage for you might be overkill. My driveway is around 70 feet long. I use a single stage 41/2 horse MTD that is about 10 years old. This single stage will throw snow 10 to 15 feet with no problem. Hell, you can pick them up used in good shape for around $150. You said your drive way is short. The single stage is also alot lighter to push around (thats why it isnt self propelled) but it is electric start. I guess it all comes down to money. If cost isnt an option, and  your doing a bunch of side walks or neighbors stuff (I do this with my single stage) you may want to go with the two stage. If you want to save some cash, I think you will be just fine with the single, but whatever you do, dont wait till the snow is on its way or you will be using a shovel. Once you do that, you will be begging for any snow thrower!
I couldn't agree more. A 2 stage for a normal driveway where he's at is flushing money down the toilet not to mention how much more space it'll take up in the garage. Hell if my driveway was under 50' and we averaged less than 3' of snow a year I'd be using a $10 shovel.

I've bought both types. One is a small single stage MTD 2 stroke that I bought for my moms house 15 years ago. Typical driveway about 50' and sidewalks. It throws the snow more than far enough, it's very light and the 2 stroke engine has plenty of power for heavy wet snow. Total repairs over 15 years has been 1 drive belt and the plastic scraper at the bottom. It still has the original spark plug. I believe I paid $200 bucks for it when Walmart first opened in this area.

For my house I bought a monster self propelled 4 stroke MTD two stage from TSC. 16" tires with selectable floating axle or locked posi traction (included snow chains too). 5 forward gears and 2 reverse. Electric start and halogen headlight.
My driveway is over 300' long at 10' wide and expands near the garage area for additional parking. It also drops down into a valley and back up again before hitting the street so the posi traction and chains are a must have. And don't even get me started about drifts out here in the country!
That's what two stage snow blowers are made for. It would be nothing but overkill in a residential neighborhood.

you only get two feet in a year there and your going to dump money for a snow blower? OK OK Im picking on ya..... because we can get up to and some times over two feet in one night here. I when I built my house started with a 12 horse blower but it took to much time with 100 feet of drive with a turn around. I now use a 4x4 truck with a plow..... We get tired of the snow around here by mid winter (Buffalo New York) And yes getting only two feet in a year would be great!

Back