Someone tell me about snow blowers

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
It seems that there are two kinds, single stage with rubber blades, and dual stage that have metal blades. The single blade ones are much lighter. I only have the regular two car garage with a short drive way.

Being not familiar with snow, (they only get about 2 feet per year in Idaho Falls), I'm inclined to go for the cheaper and lighter single stage. With an electric start these are about $600. The double stage ones run about $1200.

Any opinions for someone who has never really dealt with snow?

The people here mostly ride HDs. They think they are way cool. I have seen very few sport bikes and no Busas yet, so maybe I can pick on them a little (population here is 55,000 so maybe I shouldn't pick too hard, I won't be that hard to remember).

There are many, many miles of good, flat highway that is largely un-patrolled, and the scenery is breath taking. Mountains everywhere, and everything is so green! Unlike TX which is mostly flat and drab, and bumper to bumper.

I should have my bike out of storage and into a house we are closing on Dec 1. That means it will have had an empty gas tank for about a month. I will fill it with gas and Staybil and hope no rust has occured.

They have real winters here, with a few weeks dipping in to the zero range, so I probably won't be riding for a few months anyway.

The temp house I'm in has cable internet, so I thought I'd take time and re-establish communication.

I see SH.org is back up. Best to everyone till later.

single stage pretty much dumps out of the chute within two or three feet from machine , dual stage will shoot snow up to 20 feet , depends on how much you plan on doing and how long you want to spend doin it ? walkways single stage is fine, when you start doin driveways dual stage is much easier / quicker the ones with the rubber blades will clean a surface better ! hope this helps

basicaly you get what you pay for ?

Got a single stage and it collects dust in the barn. Wasnt heavy enought to even do the sidewalk. Got on of those big orange ones from Home Depot(Aries, I think) Electric or pull start. Head light, a must for clearing the drive at 5 in the morning. Self propelled forward and reverse. Like johnstein said, it gets the snow out of the way instead of just dumping it right next to ya. Well worth the extra money but I dont think it was more than a grand. Might wanna check out Home Depot.

Welcome to the Northwest man!!!

There are SO many cool roads to ride next year!!!

You are gonna be like a kid in a candy store!

Have a good winter!

Only 2 feet, use a shovel.
beerchug.gif

Go with the two stage snow blower. That is what I have and would not be without here in Buffalo, NY area. The two stage has a set of steel impellars the draw in the snow and a steel blower behind the steel impellar that throws the snow out of the machine quite a distrance. A single stage is just that. The rubber impellar pulls double duty drawing in the snow and throwing it out of the machine. As you said the dual stage is weighs more so it will not float up on the snow being removed. Try Home Depot or Sears they both have them here for around 700.00 brand new. If all you get is 2 feet a year you can get away with a 5 to 7 hp blower which will throw the snow around10 to 15 ft.

(NightCrawler @ Nov. 16 2006,22:22) Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE Miami ... ?

tounge.gif
Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike you right now?

(300Busa @ Nov. 17 2006,01
super.gif
)
(NightCrawler @ Nov. 16 2006,22:22) Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE Miami ... ?

tounge.gif
Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike you right now?
laugh.gif

Well if it makes you feel any better, there's a cold-front heading my way and its gonna get cold down here ... I mean FREEZING!

I think the weather lady said something like 61 degrees!
jump9.gif

61? how sweet. That jacket I bought from you doesn't seem to work in the 30's.

Get the 2 stage. Never heard anything but that is the way to go from others.
Been wanting one myself. Just never want to spend the cash on one. Maybe this year.

80 Degrees and sunny here. We're riding 310 Miles this Saturday covering most of sunny Southern California.

Come towards the light... all are welcome....
firedevil.gif

..., trip

PS... Snow blower... I used to date her... cold b**ch!
SHOCKED.gif

Get a duel stage, you can get one at a sears store for around $500.00 or $600.00 for the size you need. Sears should be putting them on sale soon, they always do.

Snow Linky

I have an Ariens 2 stage 6.5 hp. I needed a certain size - 22". I have a retaining wall on each side of my driveway and have to get realy close to the cars. It's a 2 stage with 5 forward gears and 2 reverse and has a metal shoot (lots of 'em are plastic). The smalls ones usually don't have a lot of features. Not the case with Ariens.

EL LINKO

Well Ill be the first one to say that a two stage for you might be overkill. My driveway is around 70 feet long. I use a single stage 41/2 horse MTD that is about 10 years old. This single stage will throw snow 10 to 15 feet with no problem. Hell, you can pick them up used in good shape for around $150. You said your drive way is short. The single stage is also alot lighter to push around (thats why it isnt self propelled) but it is electric start. I guess it all comes down to money. If cost isnt an option, and your doing a bunch of side walks or neighbors stuff (I do this with my single stage) you may want to go with the two stage. If you want to save some cash, I think you will be just fine with the single, but whatever you do, dont wait till the snow is on its way or you will be using a shovel. Once you do that, you will be begging for any snow thrower!

A single stage will do fine. With heavy wet snow is a little tougher with it. A 2 stage is defintely a better bigger blower, but the cheaper one will do most of the time. I live just south of you in Utah and I still just shovel for winter exercise. I have ridden my bikes every month for the last 3 years.

Here ya go man....one of these should do the trick!

snow2.jpg

snow1.jpg

Big block Chevy baby!!! Now THAT is a snow blower!!!

I have an electric start 2 stage from SEARS it's like 8 or 9 HP. The damn thing throws snow like 30 feet if it is the light stuff. I bought it used for $400 after a "not so snowy" winter. I had a 2 stage pull start MTD from Wally's 4.5 HP that I paid $459 for before this one. That one was fine up to about 30". I just couldn't pass up the deal on the bigger one.

BTW I have not used it in 2 years, I bought a 7.5' plow instead...

Oh yeah, bring on the snow!!!

I plow at $45 and hour and that pays for mods and Daytona.

Back