some opinions please

ditchdr

Registered
So for the past few months I have slowley been taking on more and more bike repair work. Simple things like tires and tune ups and what have you.. Well I have a single car garage and there is just no more room to work on stuff.. I cant do oil changes in the drive way or the HOA would freak.. Not to mention I cant fire up a bike with a set up pipes and rev the motor at 3am with out upsettign the neighbors.. So i have rented a 10x20 storage unit in a very secure place right down the road.. I have had 4 or 5 custoemrs since and I tell them to drop the bike at my house and i will take it to the "shop" to do the work..

I dont want my custoemrs thinking i am up to something fishy, or some wrong doing. But i cant have them come and go beacuse i am not going to give up my gate code to them..

So my question is would you be okay taking your bike to someone who works out of a storage unit to repair your ride? I had my own big time shop for a few years just the econmy took a mojor dump here and people are finaly seeing how a bike saves tons of money on a daily comute vs a car.. So its not like i am some fly by night tech. I just dont want to present a bad image and right now this is all I can afford untill some other things happen and we free up some cash here.

You do good work and word of mouth alone will get you business.And they won't care where you work on it at as long as their scoot is safe.But I do understand where ya coming from some people will frown on it.

We have a group here that operates COMPLETELY out of a storage unit... we even have barbeques over there every weekend... but then again their's is not GATED... so you can just drive right up....

but to answer your question. NO I do not think it affects your reputation working out of a unit like that.... everyone understands... and I used to take my stuff to a guy who had one of those storage units/ store fronts... you know he had an actual walk in door... not just a roll up one. (once again.. not gated though.... so I would think yours would provide more security!)

I personally would have a little red flag come up if you told me "drop it off at my house. I'll take it down to the shop" if I didn't know you and thought you would Hot Rod my bike on the way down there. (sorry.. we have a shady mechanic at the stealership here that I DO NOT TRUST!)

Back