some old boat pics

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
Well going through my Pops effects, found some pics he had saved..

These were shot at Bonelli park in SanDimas CA in the late 90's..

The boat is a Curtis Baby Hydro that belonged to the late "Denver Mullens"

The hull weighs in at about 250lbs without rigging.. the 15:1 / .60 over 454 made 1120hp + another 300 hp worth of juice :whistle: (alcohol motor with gas for the juice)

In this trim it would run 7's at around 175mph.. just a stroll in the park :)

The guy in Pic 2 might be familiar to anyone familiar with the "night stalkers"

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

b6.jpg

Last edited:
you will see that my lifeline jacket matches Terry's boat and paint.. not by accident, he is the sucker that loaned me the jacket for my first race the year before.. Sold it to me for $900 and bought his new one for for his 6 second boat...

He cost me a lot of money after that first race (we runner upped)

SWEET:thumbsup:

Those boats look like their about to sink.
2 to 4" of free-board ...

any boats going by will sink one in a heartbeat if not moving.. as soon as we are moving, they are pretty safe (well relatively speaking) :laugh:

Last edited:
ya when their moving it looks like there's 2 to 4" of air under em'. They just skip across the water like a flat rock when you were a kid. I guess when you get a little bigger you can skip boats across the water:laugh:

they do ride above the air.. they build a cushion of air and ride on it.. you have about 6 square inches up front half the prop and the rudder in the water (rudder exerts about 1500lbs of down force on the nose of the boat (and yes it is mounted at the very rear)

here is a pretty "off the wall" video... covers a lot of what drag boat racing is

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is off the topic just a bit but I can't stop looking at your BIL pants...... I think I had a pair just like em :laugh:

BIL pants? the yellow with orange stripe are a triple layer Kevlar/nomex ballistic pant designed to withstand a sub 175mph water entry.. the tan ones (with elastic ankles) are simple nomex (single layer fire suit).. they have to be paired with a fireproof driving boot and gauntlet fire glove..

BIL pants? the yellow with orange stripe are a triple layer Kevlar/nomex ballistic pant designed to withstand a sub 175mph water entry.. the tan ones (with elastic ankles) are simple nomex (single layer fire suit).. they have to be paired with a fireproof driving boot and gauntlet fire glove..

I was talking about the pink and purple ones....or do my eyes deceive me????

not sure what they were, maybe his jammies? Robert is a fairly dangerous guy so I only push him so far :laugh: (the night stalkers thing) you sure do not surprise the guy.... special forces guys are whacko...

Back