sold busa

tourbus

Registered
a month ago my girlfriend & i were doing roll-ons out here on a nice kansas road. she rides a 03 zx636 and me on a 03 busa. to my surprise her bike wd pull from me doing 6th gear roll-ons and stay in front of me until it topped out then i wd finally go by her. we tried other gears and much to my surprise again the 6r wd pull away or stay right with me. i weigh 65lbs more than her but i thot a 1299cc should make an ass out of a 636cc. so i replyed to another guy on the board who was going to race a 1000rr honda and told my story and told him to watch out for these smaller cc bikes. a couple guys replied to my story and said the 6r is no contest for a busa. so i wanted to find out whats going on & had the bike serviced ie airfilter,fuel filter,plugs basically everything but the valves which were supposedly done last spring at 5000k, then i took it & dynoed and found out some bad news 123hp 79.6 torque. the guy running the dyno said thats not right and rechecked everything & ran the bike again & came up with basically the same #'s. we started talking about what it would cost to start checking things out & repairs and i just decided to go ahead and sell it i sold it 2day for $4800 and will be getting a brand new 1.

That sucks!! I would say that something is not right. These bikes are supposed to be in the 165 hp range and right around a 100 ft lbs of torque and you were nowhere near that. Sounds like you did the right thing and got rid of it. Repairing it would have cost a fortune. One question for ya, did you tell the person that bought it from ya that it made half the power it should(just kidding!!). Good luck with the brand new one
super.gif

I have a 05 ninja 636 and just bought my 05 busa. I thought the 636 was fast but after ridding the busa for 3 weeks, when I got back on the 636 is was a joke. You should be smoking her. If she is starting off at 10k rpm then she might hang (to about 100mph) , but no way she should pull you in 6th.

How long had you owned the bike? Do you know what modifications the previous owner had done to the bike?

if a 636 was outrunning your bus, you did the right thing by selling it.

i bought it last august with 5300 miles on it, it rode,started,shifted, looked good. i do alot of touring around so i usually dont run my bikes hard so i felt that it was running to it potential until i compared it to another bike. amy did remind me of something else when we did a second gear roll-on i crept in front of her and she said blueish smoke was coming out of the left can. i think now the previous owner rang it out & got rid of it for the same reason i did. thats ok i will be owning a blue 07 on saturday.

next time re-connect the third plug wire and check it. I hear their bite'n on worms, may try that.

did your dyno sheet look something like this?? If so I bet your cam chain was a tooth off like mine was when this run was made. The low hp line is with it wrong and the high hp line is after they put it right.

dyno_run.jpg

That dyno chart is identical to mine, mine had the same hp curve and all. The dealer i got it from said they had just done a valve inspection for the previous owner and had 1 or two valves tight on the exhaust side, thats what i was told anyways. I have been burnt with used bikes so much that i didnt feel like skrewing with it, i probley should of had a few things checked out deeper in the engine but felt like id rather put the $ into a brand new 1. for the record it was all stock except for yoshimura rs-3 bolt-ons and i had 10k on the bike.

(tourbus @ Dec. 04 2006,12:51) That dyno chart is identical to mine, mine had the same hp curve and all. The dealer i got it from said they had just done a valve inspection for the previous owner and had 1 or two valves tight on the exhaust side, thats what i was told anyways. I have been burnt with used bikes so much that i didnt feel like skrewing with it, i probley should of had a few things checked out deeper in the engine but felt like id rather put the $ into a brand new 1. for the record it was all stock except for yoshimura rs-3 bolt-ons and i had 10k on the bike.
Man you got hammered and the dealer screwed your bike up.

(jwcfbd @ Dec. 04 2006,17:53) did your dyno sheet look something like this??  If so I bet your cam chain was a tooth off like mine was when this run was made.  The low hp line is with it wrong and the high hp line is after they put it right.
Hey jwcfbd--was yours stock when it ran the low numbers, or had it been modified? Just trying to figure out if this is a potential "problem" from the factory.

Back