So much for man's best friend

abusive homes are usually to blame. sorry you had to do it John. Its a shame it had to happen. Hope you heal up okay

In re:  "You know what I could care less about all this stuff about keeping dogs if they bite you i do really care about what breed the dog is either."

Did you mean 'couldn't' care less and 'don't' really care about what breed?  Sheesh!

And for whomever wants to choke the dog and urinate on him...
corner2.png

wtf.gif
Next time I will run my spelling through CBXRider Spell Check
moon.gif

You know what I could care less about all this stuff about keeping dogs if they bite you i do really care about what breed the dog is either.  If I had a dog and he bit me sorry that is it he is going down no if's, and's or but's.
I hope you never own a dog.  You should really consider the moral responsibilities before owning one.  Especially if you get a puppy.  Puppies are what you make them with the natural pack instincts.
Charles I have owned plenty of Dogs and worked as a trainer before I went in the Navy and I have felt like that the whole time fella sorry but if the dog bites me in anger that is his A$$ sorry that is how I roll.

OH Yeah CBXRider can you spell check this for me
guns.gif

Damn John, sorry to hear the bad report from the surgeon.
sad.gif

Glad to hear you are taking it well, the ZZ top moustache and all
beerchug.gif

You know what I could care less about all this stuff about keeping dogs if they bite you i do really care about what breed the dog is either.  If I had a dog and he bit me sorry that is it he is going down no if's, and's or but's.
I hope you never own a dog.  You should really consider the moral responsibilities before owning one.  Especially if you get a puppy.  Puppies are what you make them with the natural pack instincts.
Charles I have owned plenty of Dogs and worked as a trainer before I went in the Navy and I have felt like that the whole time fella sorry but if the dog bites me in anger that is his A$$ sorry that is how I roll.  
Most dogs don't bite in anger, most bite in fear. And we can keep those fearful situations from happening most of the time.

The situation is different when we're talking about someone who has done their best to train their dog and take responsibility for them.

But we all know that the majority of people don't take the time or effort to handle dogs correctly.  For them its an easy excuse to just put the dog down and that's a situation I don't want becoming acceptable.  That's why I quoted those posts.  To say that without any background info just reinforces that its acceptable and those people will go out, buy another dog, give it the same bad training or lack of and the same end result happens...

But I do understand there are exceptions and sometimes it is best to put the dog down.

I saw this earlier today when you posted....then heard from Dave. Hope everything ends up working out okay with the Plastic Surgeon. You know if you need anything we're just a phone call away.

Glad to say Anastasia was luckier than you....she was bitten today by my friend's dog. I'm not sure what breed he is, but he's smaller. Like the size of a Pomeranian (?sp). He's never bitten anyone before. Luckily he's had all his shots and the bite was mostly superficial. She did bruise up pretty quickly though. Doc says she should be fine.

I saw this earlier today when you posted....then heard from Dave.  Hope everything ends up working out okay with the Plastic Surgeon.  You know if you need anything we're just a phone call away.

Glad to say Anastasia was luckier than you....she was bitten today by my friend's dog.  I'm not sure what breed he is, but he's smaller.  Like the size of a Pomeranian (?sp).  He's never bitten anyone before.  Luckily he's had all his shots and the bite was mostly superficial.  She did bruise up pretty quickly though.  Doc says she should be fine.
That's scary to think about. That is exactly why John made the right decision here. Can you imagine if that was his dog.
crazy.gif

In re: "OH Yeah CBXRider can you spell check this for me"

Only if you ask nicely
peace.gif
Try proofreading the post before posting it. Your choice of words completely changed the meaning you were trying to convey, do/don't could/couldn't? And BTW, no one should beat a dog to death.

I saw this earlier today when you posted....then heard from Dave.  Hope everything ends up working out okay with the Plastic Surgeon.  You know if you need anything we're just a phone call away.

Glad to say Anastasia was luckier than you....she was bitten today by my friend's dog.  I'm not sure what breed he is, but he's smaller.  Like the size of a Pomeranian (?sp).  He's never bitten anyone before.  Luckily he's had all his shots and the bite was mostly superficial.  She did bruise up pretty quickly though.  Doc says she should be fine.
When I was about 3 or 4 I had a chunk taken out of my cheek by a DASCHUND! I still have the scar to this day.... and I don't like weiner dogs!

Hope your lip heals cleanly!
I've grown up around dogs. Our family has trained field dogs for trials and hunting for most of my 50 years. I can appreciate your efforts to try and rehabilitate this dog and respect your decision to put him down. He is still an animal and unpredictable. Some animals will continue to challenge for dominance and they're sure to do it when least expected. Sorry you experienced this, but this dog has no business in your home as you've recently determined.
I am a little uncomfortable seeing so many posts about abusing animals here. Humans can use their insights into dog behavior and the pack mentality to establish dominance and effectivly train their animals in the majority of cases. We're still the humans, though. I think it is a mistake for a trainer to think of himself as some sort of super top dog. It's simply a dog reacting to their environment and doing what their instinct says, not a personal challenge. I'm no Cesar Millan; I've seen more than one dog I've pulled the plug on after deciding I couldn't reach them, although it was usually someone else's dog so I didn't have to do the deed. I can say I've never beat or abused a dog other than a single move to protect myself if snapped at or jumped on. One more thing: This only applies to a small group here, but losing your temper and your control and severely beating a dog doesn't make you a super anything. No doubt anyone who thinks this statement is directed at them is already making excuses and cussing me out. None of us will ever know what really happens between you and your animals but I implore you to give this some thought, and next time remember that you really are the boss and you get to decide how you act and react.

John, after all is said and done I hope you heal well and soon, I love dogs too but Im not going to banter on about what you could have or should have done. My main concern is that YOU are ok, no one can really say what they would or would not do, everyone and every situation is different...anywho, like I said, YOU are my focus, heal up soon, and I have met you, you have a good heart John and I KNOW you already miss the dog, sorry for you all the way around bro...

Sorry to hear the news from the doc, heres to hoping you make as full a recovery as you can mate!
please.gif

well the body can do some amazing stuff... and if it does not heal completely, they can always work from there.. you should start practicing your "lisp"
whistling.gif

bad year for you.... maybe we should go skydiving huh? fingers, face, may as well add some legs to this mix..

and remember, we met on the net...
rofl.gif

well the body can do some amazing stuff... and if it does not heal completely, they can always work from there.. you should start practicing your "lisp"
whistling.gif

bad year for you.... maybe we should go skydiving huh? fingers, face, may as well add some legs to this mix..

rofl.gif
Mr. Bogus has a way with words...soothing yet scathing all at once. I, for one, feel the love
laugh.gif

Who are you two kidding? You couldn't find the plane to jump from without a GPS...
rofl.gif

Hope you're feeling better GIXERHP
smile.gif

rofl.gif

zzwhip.gif
AM -->
Mr Bogus @ Jun. 26 2008 said:
1459514[/ATTACH] AM]
whistling.gif

rofl.gif
Mr. Bogus has a way with words...soothing yet scathing all at once. I, for one, feel the love
laugh.gif

Who are you two kidding? You couldn't find the plane to jump from without a GPS...
rofl.gif

Hope you're feeling better GIXERHP
smile.gif
That's just wrong, Michelle...

...but good!
rofl.gif

Hope you're feeling better, John!

zzwhip.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif

Dogs can be just like kids to some people, and honestly raising them is a lot the same... If you control them, love them and nurture them they (a dog or child) will stick with you for years. If you let them (put in a dog or child here) run all over you, dominate and control your life and household them they will at some point try to take a snap at you. I think that dogs are way more forgiving than people, any of us that had a Good dog as a kid (not one just tied up that you beat with a stick) knows that it takes time and patience to work with a dog to make him what you want him to be. Do you think that police dogs or rescue dogs are just left in the kennel? How about seeing eye dogs? Nope those dogs are cared for, trained and loved and they respond to that. Take a dog that has been mistreated, abused and neglected, many times they can be converted and many times they revert back to what they learned first... John I think that is exactly what has happened to you........

While we were at the Eureka Springs get together we got a call that our little minature schnauzer was attacked and killed on our back porch by coyotes. The kids are upset, Kristie and I are sad but we know that we raised that dog in a loving home and he was part of our family. There is no doubt in my mind that he was trying to protect our home from the coyotes and he died trying to protect the ones that cared and loved him.....

There is more to raising a child or dog then saying that they're alive, they made it to be an adult.... You have to invest time and energy, good kids and dogs have to be created and worked not just born....

OKAY I'm done now......

sorry john my aunt raised over 20 plus dobermans never once bit..but the mix in your mastiff might have caused it

and some shelters give the dog a test like stick your hand down when they are eating and if they grown or snap than they put them down..that is not right cause no one should put their hand by them when they are eating so you have to watch some shelters.

but good luck john you need to talk call me
Sorry to hear John.

I don't agree with the idea that no one should put there hand near a dogs food. Every dog I have had, as pups or older, I put my hand in their bowl. I got them use to it. If a child comes near my dogs while they are eating, I don't want them to get a bite. I have a pit bull, retriever mix, I can stick my hand in his bowl, pet him, or even take the food out of his mouth if I want. He has only tried to bite me once while putting medicine in his ear after really bad infection. It was out of fear and he did not bite down hard. He was in really bad pain, we ended up having to have him knocked out to get medicine in his ear. I don't think the shelter should put a dog down for an aggressive eating habit, it can be broke with a little work.

Sorry to hear about your dog, Cap.

So sorry to hear about your dog Captain
sad.gif
I'm sure the whole family feels a hole in their hearts because they are so much a part of our family...that's so sad
sad.gif

I agree with Fate on the issue of being able to approach a dog while he/she is eating...one of the first things animal shelters checks for is "food aggression" in a dog. If they go nuts and try to bite when someone gets near their food source, many of those dogs are euthanized because they pose too much of a risk to children and other pets.

Every Dane I've had will allow the cats to sit by their bowl with not even a growl, so I know my kids are safe...

sad.gif

Our dogs have been trained to stop if anything like a hand or another dog nose goes into their food dishes. Our lab, Dexter, got very upset when my in-laws' dog stuck her nose in his bowl. He was very confused.

Back