Smoking?

xzvs

Registered
I did one of the "patented" hayabusa holeshots today -- front wheel up about a foot and rear tire spinning. Took it up to about 9k like that, and my buddy behind me said the bike was smoking (literally). He said it wasn't "bad" or anything -- just that he noticed smoke out of my tailpipes. Is that normal "wheelie" smoke?? (have heard they tend to smoke when wheelied). Like i said -- front was never more than a foot up.
Bike has about 2k miles on it and is mostly ridden grandpa style.

I get a "chuff" of oily stink and small puff at every cold start. I leave my bike of the Baxley which raises the front end maybe 3 inches off of the ground. Never really thought about the angle being the issue. Hmmm...

Ya -- guy behind me said he was pretty sure it was out the exhaust
Oil level is the same as the day I changed it - bout 3/4 up the sight glass

Good question -- I dropped a tooth on the front -- so the two pretty much go hand in hand now.
I have run it wot several times before the sprocket change (even with gtrpimp behind me ) and have had no reports of smoke (flames yes-- smoke no) so I am assuming this has something to do with the front wheel up.

BTW I was no where near full throttle during the wheelie

<!--EDIT|xzvs
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149054315 -->

Sound slike some unhealthy Busas... Sorry but There is NO SMOKE at all under full throttle or after sitting for a couple of days. I'm not saying it's terminal, but it seems odd. Did you break in the bike according to Man. Specs?

Grandpa style break in? say it isn't so.

It could be that your rings didn't seat? ie: didn't ride it hard enough on break in.

See some of the "break in" posts around here. About 50/50 here, some say, per factory, some say, ride it like ya stole it. I'm of the later opinion, ride it like ya stole it. I had 50k on my 00 and it never smoked, I rode it hard from day one, bullet proof engine and trans.

But then again, I had a 99 that was babied until I got it and it didn't smoke either.
rock.gif
? hmmmm?
rock.gif

Maybe it wasn't babied in the first miles put on it?

rock.gif

I actually broke it in pretty hard , but tried to stay within the factory rpm ranges. Never at a steady rpm.
I use it for my commute daily and rarely have a chance to open it up. Its only about a 10 min commute.

MIght just be crappy gas, running to high of an octane maybe?

I didn't hammer the crap out of it during break in but didn't baby it either. I stayed below 9K for the 1st 500...

My boat smokes too when I start it.

Oh wait it has twin two strokes...

Seen it a few times on dif. bikes, not just Busa,s, after lugging around for a while and then hammer it and POOF, jut a quick puff and then they usually clear up. i think it,s a combo of most of the things mentioned above. As long as it,s rare, I wouldn,t worry to much. Hell, you think that,s bad, wait til you sit a stop and go trafic til the temp gets a little high, then rev it a tad and look at the pipes in the headlight from the car behind you, it will puf a lil til the temp goes back down, something to do with the vent tube going to the crank case on some shid like that, but that,s a whole diff. post.
laugh.gif

Good question -- I dropped a tooth on the front -- so the two pretty much go hand in hand now.
I have run it wot several times before the sprocket change (even with gtrpimp behind me ) and have had no reports of smoke (flames yes-- smoke no) so I am assuming this has something to do with the front wheel up.

BTW I was no where near full throttle during the wheelie
is it just me or does something not seem right about poofs of smoke and flames??
rock.gif

Back