Kawasaki smoke, opinion wanted.

Kaptain Kanji

Registered
So I stopped into a Kawi dealer yesterday and was looking a used an 08 Concours with 8K miles on it. After some talk, the sales dude starts her up and lets her idle for a minute or so. I give it a couple low RPM quick revs and remark about the quick response. At this point NO smoke was coming from the exhaust. Then , HE grabs the throttle and gives it 3 big high RPM revs and I noticed clouds of blue oil smoke coming from the exhaust. I asked him about the blue smoke and he said "thats normal for a bike that's been sitting for a while". I go "hmmmm" to myself, thinking that doesn't seem right.!!
Now what do you guys think.?? Was that normal or has the bike got an oil burning problem.?
I looked at the back of the muffler where the exhaust comes out and I saw it was black. I also noticed some little black spots around the exhaust exit.

It has been sitting and was cold, this would be a normal event. Ride it and get it hot, will most likely never happen again........
Tell him you want it for 24 hours to exercise it, I really don't see a problem here.

Also, it has most likely been started and shut off cold around the store, it really needs to be ridden for a few hours.

Last edited:
It has been sitting and was cold, this would be a normal event. Ride it and get it hot, will most likely never happen again........
Tell him you want it for 24 hours to exercise it, I really don't see a problem here.

Also, it has most likely been started and shut off cold around the store, it really needs to be ridden for a few hours.

No, it's not normal.
My bikes (ZRX1200 for a Kawi example, the Honda before it, and the Busa after) set for 4 months, start 'em, not even a trace of smoke, ever.
Started and shut off, no matter, shouldn't be blowing oil smoke.
Any blue smoke indicates an oil control problem. Walk, there are too many used bikes on the market now to bother with a problem child.

My brothers GSXR 600 smokes after sitting for a while, but only for a few seconds & it ain't BLUE.

I don't know of many places (and NONE personally) that allow test rides, let alone give you one for a whole day ? Would be nice though !

blue smoke is burning oil dont walk away run, plus not to start a war but that kawasucky 1400 engine has had a bad history from what I here... there has been reports of brand new 1400's blowing up, and when I was in the market for my next bike I asked a few well know mechanic's around here they said great buy a zx 14 and we will do alot of business.. you might want to consider a st1300 or the fjr you cant go wrong with eiither of them.

If it is not too far, call Talledega cycle at 256-270-1111 and ask for Axel. He priced a new 09 Connie to a guy I work with for 10,200otd. That was almost a month ago so may can do better now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back