Smoking

CrashBomb

Registered
I've read a few threads and done some searching but haven't come up with any definitive answers so I'll ask...

I've noticed that I'm getting more and more exhaust smoke, mostly on acceleration but I see a puff or two in my mirrors quite often. Truthfully, I'm not sure when it started doing this because I pulled the mirrors off shortly after I bought the bike and only recently put them back on.

It doesn't seem like it smokes constantly or consistently, sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. If I roll on it and ride it out I don't see as much but when I jump on it hard from a lower rpm it's puffing a pretty good sized cloud. It also seems worse when I've been chugging around in low gear for awhile and pounce on it hard than when I'm cruising at a higher speed and just twist it up from there, i.e. I notice it mostly when I'm following behind a slower vehicle and wring the throttle open to pass.

It's getting downright cold in this part of the world lately, and maybe I just wasn't seeing as much when the weather was warmer, but I can't imagine I wouldn't have noticed it doing this before. It does seem like a pretty good size cloudy/hazy mass of smoke, and it's hard to tell if it's blue/white (oil?) or pure white (coolant?) just from looking in the mirror but it's got me worried regardless. It shouldn't be throwing that much smoke of any kind.

I'm still trying to track down that oil leak and am getting some wafting smoke from where it's dripped on the headers but this is definitely from the exhaust. I can only see (and smell) the oil burning off the headers when I'm not moving.

I don't doubt I'm running a little rich because I'm running a TRE, plus I've got a 4 into 1 without a PC3 yet (I can see soot on the tail pipe) but I don't think this is just rich exhaust smoke, it looks too white.

Could t-bodies out of synch cause that much exhaust smoke, or do I need to be looking deeper in the engine? I used to use Bardahl No Smoke in my classic cars when I had smoking problems but I've never put it in a bike because I've never had a bike do this to me. I'd try that out but don't want to just put a band-aid over the problem.

I'm off work tomorrow so I'm thinking about either getting out the Carbtune and synching the bodies or maybe just loading it up and taking it to the local Zuk shop.

Sorry for the long post but this has been bugging me and I want to get it taken care of. Thanks for your help and advice in advance.

Oh, another quick question. Does anyone know if there's an e-copy of the owner's manual online anywhere? Not the service manual (have that) but the manual you get when you buy the bike. Suzuki probably gets an entirely otherworldly price for them.

I should add...

almost 6k
Hindle full 4-1
TRE
just switched to full synth last oil change + a little Lucas stabilizer
(I also changed to my usual winter weight oil of 10w30 at the last oil change)

I think I would pull the plugs and have a look. From there a compression or leak-down test would tell whether the rings or valve guides were the source. (assuming oil deposits on plugs) If it's coolant the culprit hole will have a really clean plug.

Back