simple pair mod stops backfire

OB_hallazz

Registered
instead of removing pair just clip the 4 tubes with wire cutters then weld the ends shut--I bought the stop plates from micron and it does look better but nobody can see it if its under the fairing--the parts from micron cost 30.00 and they are no more than 4 aluminum plates with drill holes ready for mounting--you do save a few pounds by removing pair but it is minimal. I will testify that the bike runs smoother and hardly no backfires by covering up the pair.

Fully agree there, KA, and it also improves the looks tremendously for those wanting to use the A-TECH half-cowl lowers!

Just plug the 4 holes with #12 Robertson metal screws with the shanks cut down to 1/2" and points ground onto them, add red Lock-Tite.

They self tap with no shavings to worry about. Drive them in with a screwdriver bit on a 3/8" socket handle.

And dump the PAIR octopus while you're in there...it's just held on with three bolts.

I'll confirm smoother idle and 100% elimination of backfires, flames, farting and popping.

All you need to do is put a plug in a *single* vac line to block it. The line is on the right rear of the airbox.
Poof you are done.

Jeff I did that hose block on my bike in July; it reduced the backfiring noticeably but didn't eliminate it by any means. Obviously the valve was sucking air from somewhere...I can't imagine where though.

Tossing the whole PAIR octopus in the trash and plugging the holes is a complete cure.

Pete here you are tossing the PAIR valve into the trash while there are people in third world countries in dire need of fresh air - how selfish. :)

In the Ukrane alone there are Urals driving around while sucking nothing but contaminated air into there pipes.

"Pick a PAIR and Save a URAL"

Pete, it worked just fine with me..... the screw stuff is the way we do our race bikes, but we must keep the octop. in place on the bike to meet 750 SS rules. It's quick and easy.

Don't have a clue where your bike was "leaking", strange.

[This message has been edited by jeffw (edited 28 February 2000).]

jeff , had the same problem bike would backfire let off the gas. talked with lee he said sounded thr the hose of the bottom of the air cleaner was not plug off. fixed it 3 weeks ago live in ny so were just statting break the bikes out . test drive today or by wedesday let you all know , did not touch the pair valve ay all hopefully the vacume hose will do the trick. later, mark

The big hose to the airbox is the valves source of air and the small hose to the throttle body is the valves control hose (opens and closes the Pair Valve).

A plug in the hose for the airbox should do just fine, removing the six hosed creature takes off some unneeded weight and a lot cheaper then a carbon diet.

just bought 3/8 inch plug for the right side of air box. removed the hose and plug it off, waiting for micro to send me the plates to remove rest of the system. life is good !!!

jeff i plug the small hose which operates the flapper inside the air box. do i need to plug the larger hose off the right rear side of the airbox also.still backfires alttle and do you need to plug the vavle under the ari box after you remove the small hose. thinkn=ing about removing the whole pair vavle later .

JEFF WORKED GREAT NO MORE BACKFIRES JUST PLUGED THE BIG HOSE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF AIRBOX AND RUBBER CAP ON THE PLASTIC NIPPLE WERE THE HOSE WAS. NEVER SOUNDED BETTER I LOVE THAT HINDLE, THANKS TO EVERYBODY FOR YOUR HELP. NOW PLEASE KAWASAKI WIL YOU RELEASE THAT ZX12 OR WHAT WERE NOT THAT SCARY ARE WE ????

Back