Whoever thought of the Marble Mod rocks!

#cruncherbusa

Registered
Last winter I got a pair of Micron cans and started having some backfires this spring. I went & bought the brock plates to stop the backfires & hadn't got around to fixing the plates. Then I saw this "Marble Mod" here & after a bad backfire today. Got a marble & got 'er done! Bye Bye backfires! Whoever thought of this mod rocks & is one of the many reason why this board rocks!

One question though, what is the likelihood of the marble traveling down & if it does will it hurt anything? I don't know if I should go ahead & do the brock plate mod now, what do you guys think?

Highly unlikely unless the marble were to break into pieces. Remember that the hose attaches to metal nipples on the Pair valve.

Good to know. I'll probably try this and save myself about $50 when I get back.

rock.gif
bike wouldn't start? That's odd... It worked perfectly for me... (Did you make sure the bike wasn't in gear or something?

Hey Kev, just have a few beers at a few bars and it will start right up ! BURRRPPP!!!

why not just remove the pair (weight savings) and you wont have to worry about a marble.

I've had 4 little pieces of cut metal under the attachment points for the pair for a few years. I cut the stock tubes about a quarter of an' inch from the head,loosened the bolts that hold the 4 tubes to the head,and slipped in the 4 pieces of sheet alluminum that I cut.

cost 50 cents.... saves 2 + pounds.

Like rubbah.. I coudlnt' stand the thoughts of giving somebody $50 for 3$ worth of aluminum... maybe if they'd said EGO instead of BDE on them..but I still doubt it.. since the only person thats ever seen the stupid things is me.. haha

I did sorta like Rub... only slightly more advanced... I took all the pair junk off... snipped the hoses off.. grinded it down smooth so there was a nice pretty hole going thru my soon to be block off plates.. put a dot of weld into each little hole.. let that cool a bit.. took it back to the grinder and smoothed em back down... laid em' down.. squirted em' black and let it dry.

I bummed a piece of gasket paper from one of the service techs where I work and made four little gasket.. bolted em' all back on,, and viola.. fini!

.. I also cut the other two hoses off out of site.. put a bolt in the end.. and hose clamped em' down tight and haven't thought about any of that pair nonesense since.

Like rubbah.. I coudlnt' stand the thoughts of giving somebody $50 for 3$ worth of aluminum... I did sorta like Rub... only slightly more advanced...  
sure.... out do the Rubb...show me up why dont ya....

"only slightly more advanced"

Ego's high school guidance councillor said I[da Rubbah]would never amount to anything.

hav a well engineered 1...RSD.

It would crank, but it wouldn't fire, sounded flooded. If I held the throttle open it would start but as soon as I let it go, it would die.  
rock.gif
Are you sure you plugged the right hose?

Also, did you have the "choke" on or off? Engine hot or cold?
Yes, correct hose, ( i looked up the thread to verify) choke off, engine cold. It would start if I choked it but then die when I remove the choke. FYI, the choke is never needed to start the bike, (I'm in Fla) It always starts immediatly and runs until shut off. (unless I kill it)

Kev

...I removed the PAIR!! Was more concerned with reducing the weight.
biggrin.gif

I dont go racing or anything...but a lighter busa is always welcome
wink.gif
...even though its just 2LBS

Yes, correct hose, ( i looked up the thread to verify) choke off, engine cold. It would start if I choked it but then die when I remove the choke. FYI, the choke is never needed to start the bike, (I'm in Fla) It always starts immediatly and runs until shut off. (unless I kill it)

Kev
I wonder if something else got crimped or disconnected when you put the tank back down?

Is your idle too low?

This is a $10,000 motorcycle ladies and gentlemen, don't be a cheap ass and do it right. Get the right parts and seal it off correctly, then take the pair valve set-up stomp on it, beat it with a hammer for good measure and throw it away forever. It always amazes me that people come up with a great "cheap way to fix instead of doing it the proper way. Makes me laugh!
laugh.gif

If your marbling it to fix until you can get the parts/time to do it right then fine, otherwise
rock.gif

Last winter I got a pair of Micron cans and started having some backfires this spring. I went & bought the brock plates to stop the backfires & hadn't got around to fixing the plates. Then I saw this "Marble Mod"  here & after a bad backfire today. Got a marble & got 'er done! Bye Bye backfires! Whoever thought of this mod rocks & is one of the many reason why this board rocks!

One question though, what is the likelihood of the marble traveling down & if it does will it hurt anything? I don't know if I should go ahead & do the brock plate mod now, what do you guys think?
Not trying to sound arsh on this and I am glad it worked for you. I however will never have to wonder whether my BDE block off plates will get sucked down a hose. One less thing to think about and I can spend my attention on riding!
smile.gif

The BDE plates might be pricey, but they are the cat's a--. Come with high-temp o-rings. If you get the cheapie plates they generally don't come with gaskets which are required. You have to hunt 'em down. I do think RSD's idea is slick, however.
Kev, it really sounds like something else was going on when your bike wouldn't start. The PAIR just doesn't effect the starting/running of the Busa that much. Not tied in to the ECU, just a stand alone system.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116395131 -->

This is a $10,000 motorcycle ladies and gentlemen, don't be a cheap ass and do it right. Get the right parts and seal it off correctly, then take the pair valve set-up stomp on it, beat it with a hammer for good measure and throw it away forever. It always amazes me that people come up with a great "cheap way to fix instead of doing it the proper way. Makes me laugh!
laugh.gif

If your marbling it to fix until you can get the parts/time to do it right then fine, otherwise
rock.gif
First of all, you're not the boss of me or anyone else on this board.

Secondly, I think this fix was intended for people who either don't have the mechanical aptitude, money or patience to do the full PAIR-removal mod.

Fact is, it works. If you can't handle that, or that other people are "doing things" to "their" bikes which you don't like, oh well, never mind, get over it...

<!--EDIT|DAB
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116396260 -->

laugh.gif

rock.gif
First of all, you're not the boss of me or anyone else on this board.

Secondly, I think this fix was intended for people who either don't have the mechanical aptitude, money or patience to do the full PAIR-removal mod.

Fact is, it works. If you can't handle that, or that other people are "doing things" to "their" bikes which you don't like, oh well, never mind, get over it...
Hey Just,

last time I checked you didn't pay a red cent for my bike so ........
wink.gif

Back