Sikh soldier completes basic training with Turban on .

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Sikh soldier completes US Army training with turban on

Not sure , kinda one of those things that goes against the 'uniformity' of ranks in my mind.
Congratulations to him and thanks for his willingness to serve but I just don't agree with allowing him to keep his turban on .

3eb0124b.jpg

while I follow what you are saying, his turban does look very similar to the other's berets. Its the same color, has the same insignia and in a crowd, really doesnt look *that* different unless he's on the front row.

The article says he was enlisted/recruited for his language skills. His comments seem very enthusiastic, so while initially it seems odd, I suspect he'll find his way into some special forces group or at least be stationed in a forward area where his language skils are important and he'd probably be asked to wear the turban anyway :)

Zuk I in most ways agree with you but isn't it a pandoras box ?
Now folks from others denominations will look to his precedent and want the same , no ?
Will a Muslim be allowed to wear a turban ?
Will a Jew be allowed to wear a yamaka ?
Will a Rastafarian be allowed to have four foot long dreads ?

If he enlisted voluntarily and insisted on keeping the turbin, I would say no way. However, if it's true that the military solicited him for his language skills, then I would suggests it's up to them if they wish to make concessions. In a strange sort of way, it's rather neat to see someone committed to the US while still honoring their religion. So long as he puts America first, that's what really matters.

His language skills + features will prove invaluable no doubt, particularly for intel. Hence, his value justified the exception which I am sure was vetted by higher echelon.

Last edited:
It doesnt detract from the uniform or call unneeded attention to himself(on first look). There are different variations to our uniforms. Women wear different uniforms and pregnant women wear waaaay different uniforms.

I think it looks fine.

Special exception for language skills. While I don't like the special attention (beard and turban) I also understand the Army must have wanted him badly. Special exception does not mean automatic widespread acceptance.

Zuk I in most ways agree with you but isn't it a pandoras box ?
Now folks from others denominations will look to his precedent and want the same , no ?
Will a Muslim be allowed to wear a turban ?
Will a Jew be allowed to wear a yamaka ?
Will a Rastafarian be allowed to have four foot long dreads ?

Perhaps, however have you looked at a pic of the SF teams that are in countries around the world? hell some of them are 30-40lbs over weight, some have beards that Santa would be proud of, they wear native clothing, etc, most of them look nothing like what you would imagine a US soldier to look if you walked onto most any base.

I agree that in basic training they are all generally supposed to "look and act the same" but you just cannot teach some things and the more we fight battles in more distant places, we'll need folks that can blend in and get the trust of locals. We can teach anyone how to fight but we cant tell them how to be a good Sikh or Muslim or whatever. That's upbringing that the US military just will never be able to provide. I think we'll see more of these specially recruited folks in the coming years, maybe less publicized since now that guy probably will not be used in any undercover work.

I'am really not sure why the Army would allow a Sikh to wear a NON Issued Uniform and wear a beard in the US. All those Special Ops people you talk about ONLY look that way in their operational countries NOT the US. And a Sikh is an Indian from NORTHERN INDIA. So are we now targeting an friendly nation. And if not, just what are his Demanded Skills that allow the exemption ? Sounds phony to me. :beerchug:

I've seen special forces in Iraq and Afg and yes some of them dress in local garb and look like locals but just the pic above makes him appear to stand out like a sore thumb.
Giving him special privilege again is a pandoras box which will set precedent for anyone else who wants to be different and dress different .

Well I don't agree but it is equal opportunity. And I am truly hoping this person is seriously honoring your country and not making a look what I got away with thing. We have it up here as well. I don't think long standing uniforms should be changed to suit religous beliefs.

Well I don't agree but it is equal opportunity. And I am truly hoping this person is seriously honoring your country and not making a look what I got away with thing. We have it up here as well. I don't think long standing uniforms should be changed to suit religous beliefs.

Yep, like his beard wouldn't grow back. And he can wear his turban out of uniform. Wait, I forgot, you can't offend muslims in this counrty. Another step towards them running things here. Wait again, one already is:laugh:
Yes, I said it, if it offends you, well, I guess it offends you.

Yep, like his beard wouldn't grow back. And he can wear his turban out of uniform. Wait, I forgot, you can't offend muslims in this counrty. Another step towards them running things here. Wait again, one already is:laugh:
Yes, I said it, if it offends you, well, I guess it offends you.

Sixpack a Sikh is a Hindu not a Muslim

A Sikh is a Hindu?

You sure?

:laugh::whistle:

cheers
ken

I think so :)
Maybe not a Hindu but def not a Muslim .

Sikhism pronounced /ˈsiːkɨzəm/ or English pronunciation:*/ˈsɪkɨzəm/; Punjabi: ਸਿੱਖੀ, sikkhī, IPA:*[ˈsɪkːʰiː] is a monotheistic religion founded in the fifteenth century Punjab on the teachings of Guru Nanak Dev Ji and ten successive Sikh Gurus (the last one being the sacred text Guru Granth Sahib Ji). It is the fifth-largest organized religion in the world[1] and one of the fastest-growing.[2] This system of religious philosophy and expression has been traditionally known as the Gurmat (literally the counsel of the gurus). Sikhism originated from the word Sikh, which in turn comes from the Sanskrit root śiṣya meaning "disciple", or śikṣa meaning "instruction".[3][4]

Sixpack a Sikh is a Hindu not a Muslim

Well I appologize for my ignorance. But let me now add Hindu's to the list of folks we can't offend and that get special exceptions.
Let me gripe a little to support my veiws. I always wanted to be in the military and I scored a 98 on the ASVAB in 1995, I had my pick of branch and enrty level position. My final medical exam revealed 6 screws in my jaw...disqualified, even appealed all the way to the Surgeon General...denied! A guy in the same group with me had 3 screws and some pins in his shoulder, he got in fine.
Apparently it wasn't meant to be for me, but hey, now you ca grow a beard and wear whatever you like if it's your religeon.
I think it's a shame and a disgrace what this country is sinking to, and now this has opened the door for this nonsense in the military! I have nothing but respect and admiration for our military and soldiers too!

Call me old fashioned, but this should have never been allowed. There are several uniform wear religious accommodations in AR 670-1, but nothing like this.

Nothing says "turd in the punchbowl" like a turban and full facial hair!

His head dress is NOT a religious affair. It's a distinction of the Sikh Warrior Class of Northern India. I had a Sikh Indian Major (who became a very good friend) as a counterpart in Africa. Did he wear one, well yes sometimes, but most of the time NO. He just wore his normal uniform (British type) and a baseball cap and so did the other Sikh Officers I was with. And by the way, the Beard is a Sergeants Rank distinction (like their Battalion Sergeant Major) :beerchug:

Back