Should I purchase a Tank bra?

OB_X-treme

Registered
This topic was already in Labusas, but I am hoping to get more responses...

The problem I'm having is that I'll only ride about 3000km on my R6 in a season and thinking if it's worth putting on a tank bra. I know it's safer but driving it with jeans on will it mark up or scuff the tank at all? I'll wax it often to prevent scratches or wearing out the paint, but is it an item I should consider buying. I'm not going on many long distance trips, just a couple once and a while. Yamaha offers a tank pad so your stomach won't rub it out at all, is this a mickey mouse thing? I'm just debating if I should buy something for protection. Should I?

BAGSTER.COM 1-800-ITALJET

Full protection, call to order or paper brochure. Web site is very good and esys to navigate.

For information, the stock Suzuki tank protector has the Japanese characters (like on the fairing) imbossed on it-- to give a bit of distinction the others don't. And it's true that it "lifts" a bit a high speeds. But the paint is kind of soft and jeans, zippers and belt buckles will scratch it. Seems like a good investment to protect your tank.

Is the factory Suzuki tank protector any good? I have not seen one yet, is it basic black or in matching colors? Guess I'll run down and see how proud my dealer is of this item Monday if they're worth having. Jack

All my jeans have a button in the front. Sit on your bike and look where that button is. 20 coats of wax will not prevent scratches from something metal rubbing on your tank. By the way, listen to Bulldog and get some leathers or at least a pair of those kevlar jeans. What's the big deal about leaving it on the bike anyway? I did Waltman one better. I ordered a bra from Second Look a week before I picked up my bike. It is color matched and is "invisible" when its on. I only take it off when washing the bike.

Hi Stephen,

Can you tell us who you purchased the magnetic carbon fiber bra from? Sounds like the better solution to the problem.

Thanks, Bob

I agree... tank bras are essential... just remember... do not let them get wet and then let your bike sit in the sun... you will cloud your paint!

Ok, I'm purchasing one, but Can I ride without a tank bra once and a while without harming the tank? If I take it to school sometimes I might not wear my jacket so it's just a t-shirt and jeans. Will it do anything to it? I'll put the bra on while going on trips, but those odd times I might not to put it on. Is it a bad choice?

SQUID ALERT!!! SQUID ALERT!!

....why don't you just wear a muscle shirt and lycra pants with a pair of surfers slippers!! (like my buddy does on his CB-1)...

Buy a nylon riding jacket for hot days etc BEFORE buying a tank bra!!!!..

You obviously haven't fell off your bike or tripped and scrubbed your knee on the cement!!

YOU CAN REPAINT YOUR TANK!! WHAT ABOUT YOUR SKIN!?

...my 2 cents...

Jack, I have the factory bra and it looks great, and does the job well, worth all of $26.00 I paid, why pay more?

X-treme, I always ride with my leather jacket, helmet, gloves, boots and jeans, winter or summer. Hein Gericke jackets have removable liners for summer riding with several zippers for ventilation. You dont want to know what it feels to slide on the hot pavement wearing t-shirts.

I got the LP carbon fiber 1/2 tank bra but I will not be using it. It looks great but at speed it picks up from the force of air above 110mph....I tried tightening the thing up but to no avail. I took the thing off on a ride since it was annoying me. My last one on my last bike cbr900rr worked just fine but not this one. I bought a magnetic euro carbon look tank pad for the pants and jackets marks and it works fine....I have a 3 day on the bike brand new LP carbon fiber Tank bra for sale if anyone is interested....$50.00

The first accessory I purchased for the 'Busa the day I took delivery of it, was a tank bra. Don't ride without it. Every once in a while, remove it and wax the tank.

Waltman,
Thanks for info and you are correct, the price doesn't get any better! Jack.

Yaya.. Ok I heard enough thanks :)
I'll leave it at that and I'll put the damn thing on. Thanks alot guys for answering my question.

I got the Carbon Fiber Lockhart Phillips Tank Bra through a local shop in town Superbikes & Ski which has excellent prices. I can get the normal black one for around $20 but the carbon fiber I have is much better looking than the stock black ones. I am not using my tank bra since it comes up at over a 100mph +. It depends on how aggressive you ride also. I love curves more than the straights but now I have the bothe of best world's....

Back