Should Dealer Fix This?

Guapote

Registered
Since I don't have a stand for my new (to me) Busa, (love my Fz1 centerstand!) I had a local shop install an RK chain and new sprockets with one tooth dropped in the front. Just went for a short ride. went to wipe off the chain and lube it and noticed that they installed stock length chain. this means hardly ANY adjustment left (only two marks till full out). I sort of think the shop should cut off the necessary links and redo it- IMO even if they hadn't thought to use a shorter chain, they should have noticed the adjustment when it was done. Whaddya think, dealer should redo it or not?

Yes! They should have noticed that and told you that you either needed a new chain or not have done the install. That can cause serious wear and tear on the sprockets and chain

i dont think so. the chain is adjusted and working. its not the shops fault that the 16 tooth sprocket is smaller and you lose somr chain length. its not like the chain isnt working right. i know thats not what you wanted to hear but i dont think any shop is gonna cut lengths out of a perfectly good chain that is adjusted correctly without you requesting it.

I'm confused? How can a smaller sprocket cause a stock chain to have less adjustment left in it? Would it not increase your adj ability a bit since it's a smaller sprocket?

I'm confused? How can a smaller sprocket cause a stock chain to have less adjustment left in it? Would it not increase your adj ability a bit since it's a smaller sprocket?

Nope. Think about a little more.
I think the shop should have at least pointed this out to you and asked if you wanted it shortened...for whatever extra it would have been. My2cents

Smaller sprocket takes less chain to go around it, so you have to move the wheel farther back to take up the extra slack. Which can sometimes put you at the very extended reach of the chain adjusters.

To the OP, I'd make them take a link out of it. Being as they instaled a new chain along with the new sprockets, they should have shortened it to fit properly. With a good chain tool, it only takes a minute.

I'm almost always nice when I deal with businesses-they are trying to make a living a keep the doors open in a bad economy. Just to clarify, I ordered the parts through them, I did not take parts in to have them installed. If they won't fix it I'll do it myself as soon as my stand gets here.

Smaller sprocket takes less chain to go around it, so you have to move the wheel farther back to take up the extra slack. Which can sometimes put you at the very extended reach of the chain adjusters.

To the OP, I'd make them take a link out of it. Being as they instaled a new chain along with the new sprockets, they should have shortened it to fit properly. With a good chain tool, it only takes a minute.

Ok I understand now. Long day at work.

Now buy a 2+ for the rear and you will be back to normal. :thumbsup:

Just re read your post since you gave them the chain and sprocket assuming that you bought your parts else where and had them install it is like going to a fine resturant and handing them a steak you bought from the local grocery store and asking them to cook it for you.
If you didnt ask them to cut a link out to compensate for the new sprocket then I wouldnt have either if I was the mechanic. Since its a new chain it will stretch a lil at first so make that one click.

They might do it for return business, but I couldn't be upset with them if they didn't. Good luck with it.

I would think a seasoned tech would to know to at least ask to take a link out but to adjust it all the way out with no more left isnt professional to me.Pretty easy job really.

I switched to a -1 in the and used the stock length chain for a period of time. For wear purposes the front / back sprocket + chain should be a worn in as set to a point. If you swap gears occasionally there should be little to worry about. When you shorten a chain you have to press out more than 1 link...you need 2 pins sticking up to recieve the master which is 2 females. How many miles are on the chain? A good shop will explain why they did what the did and make you aware of the benefits and risks of what the reccomend.

I switched to a -1 in the and used the stock length chain for a period of time. For wear purposes the front / back sprocket + chain should be a worn in as set to a point. If you swap gears occasionally there should be little to worry about. When you shorten a chain you have to press out more than 1 link...you need 2 pins sticking up to recieve the master which is 2 females. How many miles are on the chain? A good shop will explain why they did what the did and make you aware of the benefits and risks of what the reccomend.

Right, you can't shorten a chain by 1 link, have to remove 2, an inner and an outer. That might make it too short. I think Gearing Commander.com has a chain lenght calculator and wheelbase change.

Now buy a 2+ for the rear and you will be back to normal. :thumbsup:

Just re read your post since you gave them the chain and sprocket assuming that you bought your parts else where and had them install it is like going to a fine resturant and handing them a steak you bought from the local grocery store and asking them to cook it for you.
If you didnt ask them to cut a link out to compensate for the new sprocket then I wouldnt have either if I was the mechanic. Since its a new chain it will stretch a lil at first so make that one click.
Yep just put a +2 in back and it'll bring the wheel back up and give you plenty of room for adjustment, and PLENTY of acceleration :thumbsup:
Thats how I fixed the problem :laugh:

i dont think so. the chain is adjusted and working. its not the shops fault that the 16 tooth sprocket is smaller and you lose somr chain length. its not like the chain isnt working right. i know thats not what you wanted to hear but i dont think any shop is gonna cut lengths out of a perfectly good chain that is adjusted correctly without you requesting it.

I agree:thumbsup:

Went for an all day ride today with 16T front-much nicer at low speeds and in town, think -1, +2 might be alittle too much!.
BTW, parts were puchased through this shop- I wouldn't expect any shop to fix or make adjustments for stuff I bought online. But, as RYC1966 pointed out, can't remove only one link. Removing two might well make the chain too short. Chain runs fine, very smooth now. Just think it would have been good for the shop to point out the loss of adjustment that I didn't think about when they ordered the parts.

You have plenty of adjustment, and your chain will never stretch enough for it to be a problem. The stock chain has plenty of slack and adjustment for the -1, a +3 rear, and -1 and +3 combined. The dealer did nothing wrong, and as mentioned, you must remove 2 links, not just one. You're bike is fine.:beerchug:

Yeah, you're right. I've been told by a couple people now that a quality 530 chain just doesn't stretch very fast so I'll quit worrying about it. Bike ran great today on a long ride. It had been sitting for two years before I bought it and the chain was wrecked. I tried to revive it with cleaning and lube, but o-rings were breaking out in brittle pieces. New tires, chain and sprockets and oil change and all is good.

Yeah, you're right. I've been told by a couple people now that a quality 530 chain just doesn't stretch very fast so I'll quit worrying about it. Bike ran great today on a long ride. It had been sitting for two years before I bought it and the chain was wrecked. I tried to revive it with cleaning and lube, but o-rings were breaking out in brittle pieces. New tires, chain and sprockets and oil change and all is good.

quality is important but a quality chain will still die quickly if not maintained properly.:laugh:

I was riding on a road after a thunderstorm went through today now I have to clean and lube again even though I did it not even 200 miles ago. :banghead:

Back