Shortened Swingarm

Thanks guys for all the great information. I think I'm going to "keep it simple" as much as possible for time and dollars considerations. I've been involved on the California Superbike School (CSS) forums lately and you can imagine how hammered I'm getting there. Your help has given me more strength to persevere.

Fantasy land and reality are two separate avenues of pursuit. Absolutely nothing you can do to that busa will improve your skills. Skill cannot be purchased or built into a bike, skill must be earned.

Improving the bike's ability is of no use until the rider's skill has exceeded the capability of the bike. Money spent on training is far better spent on improving your skills, confidence as well as lap times. No amount of suspension improvements will replace the need for training. A quality instructor is invaluable when it comes to climbing the skills ladder.

I really hope ur not planning on doing that. a busa is not a corner carver. if u wanna carve corners sell it and buy a 600.

A Busa is not a corner carver.....:rofl:
Says who?
Sure, ride a Busa to it's upper limits and a 600/750/1000 will still be capable of making it through the curves a little faster. Shorter wheelbase, narrower frame/more ground clearance, less weight, ect.
BUT; I'll drag my knee right beside or past a liter bike on a Busa, racing anyone short of an experienced track rider...myself and MANY others.
It's the rider, once you can push the Busa to it's cornering limits, then it's the bike. Not until.
Not a corner carver:rofl:

how would a shorter swingarm at stock ride height or taller drag hard parts any faster?

IF it's stock ride height/stock suspension, and IF the angle of the shorter swingarm is the same as the stock one, then you could lose a small amount of ground clearance.
Same principle as stretching a bike, the extended arm with stock suspension increases the ride height.:beerchug:

To the OP
The Busa will also drag the throttle side fairings sooner than it will the clutch side, as the throttle side of the engine sits out a little further. Lower the bike even the slightest and that happens even quicker.
I dragged both sides of my Busa many times. That's no good either, just asking for a lowside.
It was an adjustment coming from riding 1000's.
You need to have no chicken strips, and have to drag hard parts through a curve to go through it any faster(again, no good), before you NEED the cornering advantages of a 600/750/1000.:beerchug:

My chicken strips are 1 3/16" on the right and 15/16 on the left; Why the difference I don't know other than I just feel safer on the left side maybe. Obviously I'm not scraping anything. I was out with a 650 half naked Suzuki today..looked like an FZ1 sort of and I had no trouble doing anything he did on real tough corners. He wasn't a great rider but it gave me more confidence anyway. I appreciate everyone keeping me on the right path here. I'm pretty determined.

IF it's stock ride height/stock suspension, and IF the angle of the shorter swingarm is the same as the stock one, then you could lose a small amount of ground clearance.
Same principle as stretching a bike, the extended arm with stock suspension increases the ride height.:beerchug:

What I meant was stock clearance. So many inches off the ground. If it lowered it much I would hope they would raise it up, wouldn't be much of a point to building a lowered corner carver

Learn to hang off the bike more so it stays more upright and alter your riding style to flatter the heavier bike and take advantage of the characteristics of the Busa, it aint a 250 Two Stroke so dont try and hold the same corner speed as one, on the other hand a 250 wont fire out the corner like a busa so square it off and use the power coming out of the curve, likewise you arent going to outbrake a 600 with 140 lbs rider on a Busa with 280 lbs rider !!! Prob the biggest diff round track on the Busa when you learn to keep it upright more is the brakes, they take a lot of stopping.

When the Busa came out a guy I know was racing in British Superbikes on a ZX7R, hes a pro racer and in his shop was a Busa that he was devoloping for track work, we laughed (at the time most people hated the look and we all said its too big etc etc) he had raised it and got a hi exhaust on it and said he was pretty much as quick as on his 750 race bike round the longer circuits !!! He preferred the Busa !!!!!!

SO, Im getting better but still not dragging anything and my chicken strips are shrinking ever so slowly. I realized today I already have a 55 profile tire in the rear and 120/70 on the front.

One thing I should have been more clear about. I'm not necessarily trying to win any races...Especially in the beginning. I just want to have a good time and the idea is to take it to the California Superbike School where they have even had cruisers. I want to look as good and fast as I can out there but if a 250 is running circles around me so be it. Most importantly I don't want to crash. I ran of the road yesterday due to a Q2 that is on the wearbars...stupid. I wiggled the rear and did the right thing...got off the rear brake and steered as straight as I could on the soft stuff and got right back on the road...didn't phase me much because I was right back on it and no more rear brake in a fashion that could get me in trouble. I'm one of those that like to use the rear brake but stupid with that tire.

I know that more upright is safer but I'm supposed to be able to get it leaned over if necessary right?

Get some track time and training. Usually there's someone there that can dial in your suspension. When the chicken strips disappear think about the next step. IMHO leave the swingarm alone.

Mine is a naked stripped down bike with Renthals.
Not really interested in pretending to be Marquez or Rossi,
Mine's more of a silly toy for clowning about and being an arse on.
Shorter arm (as in the link I posted above) would suit it.

image.jpg
image hosting without account

Back