Short term winter storage...Help!

Hayabusa Fury

Registered
My '08 Hayabusa has been sitting for about 2 months. I have moved it around the garage a few times and taken it on very short rides (less than 5miles). Between the heavy rain, snow and lay off. I have not been into riding it much. It is in an attached garage just on the kickstand. It is all stock about 6000 miles and still on good looking stock tires.

What kind of side effects should I be looking for from it sitting?

I thought I would be riding it much more often and did not do any pro-active storage or winter steps on her. Is there anything I should be doing if storing it for a month or two?

Any help is mucho appreciated. :beerchug:

-Fury

You shouldn't have any problems for just a month or two in storage. For any longer I'd put some Sta-Bil in the gas and make sure to run it into the fuel injectors so the treatment is inside the fuel lines as well. Also, get a Deltran Battery Jr. and plug it in and forget about it. Then, when you do want to ride, all you do is unplug the tender and fire it up!

It may be rough to start, but other than that you should be fine. I had to put mine on a short storage period during the snow we have had. The first start was a little rough and then it was easy from there on.

mine is in a short storage period too. I put her away at 6:00 pm and she is out by 6:30 am almost every day :laugh:

Always a good idea to keep the gas tank full - minimizes condensation of water from the air. Battery Tender, or better yet a Battery Minder is a very good idea.

In my honest opinion I would suggest that you do start you bike at least once a month or more and allow it to get to operating temp, give it a rev or two, drop it in and out of gears a few times and then gently, very gently rub the fairings and caress the tank while she cools down, you must let her know you have not forgotten her and still love her.
trust me, you will both be happier! LOL

All kidding aside, I really do suggest you do the rubbing and caressing,
no really Bro do it!
just my 2c

a MONTH OR TWO DOWN YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. dO NOT JUST START THE BIKE AND LET IT RUN FOR 5 MINUTES AND SHUT IT OFF THAT'S THE WORST THING YOU CAN DO. lIKE ANOTHER MEMBER POSTED CONDENSATION IS YOUR WORST ENEMY. iF IT'S IN THE 30'S AND NO HEAT IN THE GARAGE i'D PULL THE BATTERY AND BRING IT INSIDE AND PLACE IT ON SOMETHING LIKE A 2X4. IT NEVER HURTS TO PUT STABIL IN THE GAS TANK. WARDIE (

mine hasen't moved since Oct, I hate winter....
stay-bil 4 sure, I pulled the battery out and brought it inside, and get the tires off the cement, even if you park it on plywood it helps. And on the warm days I will start it up and let it run. But I will run it at different RPM's..

all you guys can send me your bikes and I will take good care of then. I just going to sacrificed my spaced for you guys and you don't need to worry about gas problems or anything else. :whistle:

Thanks for the tips everyone. I did get a chance to take her out today. It was dry except for in really shaded areas. Some of those wet areas still had some ice. I went about 25 miles before the ice spots got too sketchy and I had to turn back.

jefferycarman, we need to hook up and ride sometime. Maybe once it gets a little less icy?:thumbsup:

IF you are going to run the bike... short hops are terrible..

Water condenses in the crank case and it takes a good 20 minutes to get it all boiled back out when you ride.. You are better suited IMO to let the thing just sit with fresh oil in it and a full tank of gas.. 3 or 4 months is not that long on a motor to sit so I would not get to worried about it..

A battery tender is a good idea (not a trickle charger either)..

Thanks for the tips everyone. I did get a chance to take her out today. It was dry except for in really shaded areas. Some of those wet areas still had some ice. I went about 25 miles before the ice spots got too sketchy and I had to turn back.

jefferycarman, we need to hook up and ride sometime. Maybe once it gets a little less icy?:thumbsup:
Once this ice goes away that sounds like a good idea. Just don't leave me too far behind :beerchug:

Back