Winter storage: Garage versus shed

Blkoutbusa

Registered
So I have always stored the bikes in the garage with a tender and covered. The space would be great to get back. Downside is shed obviously isn't "heated" like the garage is. Garage never freezes due to being attatched to the home.

What other downsides are there to shed storage if battery tender and everything else are the same?

We run antifreeze already so no issue there. Shed is brand new and no rodent issues so far. It just worries me how cold it will get in there versus the garage.

I’ll give you a little background on this. So my Busa is an 06, spent it’s entire life in a heated garage. There was not one bit of oxidation or rust on any components.
After it was wrecked it was stored for 2 years in an impound facility, it was still sealed off BUT climate control and such were not the same as the garage. Anyway some of my components are oxidized my horn is rusty along with my header bolts and exhaust springs. My pair valve lines as well. Also a mouse made a home in my tail, he was pretty decent since he didn’t mess up any of my wires or leave any doodoo but he did bring a lot of paper to sleep on.
Stick with the garage if you can. If you can not, coat all the surfaces you can with WD-40, it will prevent oxidation and keeps mice and rodents away.

Things to consider . Insurance policy . Something happens to it in shed when your policy states you store in garage . In shed your fuel tank will get the Coke can effect of condensation . One night 30 degrees , and late next day a warm front moves into the 60's or 70's the tank will sweat inside , and out .
Tell your wife you really need the garage room so this winter were going to show the bike off in the LIVING RM ! ;)

I usually pull the battery
drain the oil
Remove and disassemble the engine for up grades
So is does not matter how cold it is outside :poke:

I live in North Dakota. From my 2000 ZX-12R, which I bought new, to my current bike, I've always stored my bikes in my shed because I don't have a garage. Sometimes the windchill will be as low as -40 in the winter. The next week the temperature might hit 40 degrees above zero. Big variation in temperature. When I park my bike for the winter, I buy a can of Seafoam, ride to a gas station, dump in half the can of Seafoam, and fill the tank completely full, which prevents rust. When I get home, I take the battery out, take it in the house, and put it on a battery tender until spring. In the spring, I put the battery back in, start the bike and let it run for a while, and then change the oil and filter. I've been doing this for years now and it's always worked out great for me. I should probably also tell you that my current bike is a 2012 ZX-14R. You're probably wondering then, why would I post on here. I look at this site everyday. I have a lot of respect for all of you because of your dedication to the Hayabusa, which is a great motorcycle. You all stick together and help each other out in any way you can. You've earned my respect for that. I've never ridden a Busa, but a few of my friends have had them and they really liked them. Hope you don't mind me lurking around here and giving my 2 cents once in a while. Another thing, in North Dakota in the winter, I don't put the bike cover on anymore. When it gets real cold and then warms up somewhat, I'll lift the cover and my bike has frost all over it. I just leave it off now and no problems.

Last edited:
Can you get an extension cord into the shed for a tender? If not I’d pull it. Change the oil, fill full of gas with stabilizer, and maybe try to start once every other week?

Can you get an extension cord into the shed for a tender? If not I’d pull it. Change the oil, fill full of gas with stabilizer, and maybe try to start once every other week?
I wouldn't start it unless you can bring it up to operating temp but even then you risk condensation in the engine as a result of the heat/cooling cycle. Condensation makes things rust internally...

I knew guys that put a good breathable cover on their bikes and left them outside and had no problems.

I got sheds and a garage , but my Busa sleeps inside the house !!
This pick is where me and my L2 lovely sleep , and that cot is for the expected......two wheeled human hybrid.......hahahahaha
IMG_20170509_083958.jpg

IMG_20170509_084042.jpg

I got sheds and a garage , but my Busa sleeps inside the house !!
This pick is where me and my L2 lovely sleep , and that cot is for the expected......two wheeled human hybrid.......hahahahahaView attachment 1589087

View attachment 1589088
I gotta say, that is dedication!!
lol, you are thee man lmao!
That is the spare room, right?
I mean, it's gotta be coz if that's your bedroom, you need a telling off from 'ol Ma lol.:poke:

'Ol Ma knows the rules , just like her , L2's got special parking areas all over 'tha hood bro ' !! hahahahaView attachment 1589089

On tour one year I stopped in a lil ski town for dinner at what looked like a nice place, and saw a m/c parking area sign that read Harleys only. I pulled away and found another restaurant that luckily for me had a menu item named Medallions of Elk with a garlic mash and asparagus. Damn that was good!

On tour one year I stopped in a lil ski town for dinner at what looked like a nice place, and saw a m/c parking area sign that read Harleys only. I pulled away and found another restaurant that luckily for me had a menu item named Medallions of Elk with a garlic mash and asparagus. Damn that was good!
You'd be able to park your Kwacka 9 there now mate , ya cbx Honda wouldn't have made them too happy I guess !!

Back