Shock very stiff!

Big D's Busa

Registered
Hey guys as u may know I put some extensions on my bike and as u all know u have to tighten the shock up. I have it tighten all the way down pretty close till it got hard to turn. I have turned up all settings to stiff on the shock also. When I did this the bike felt like it gained and inch or two and the tail looked like a 1000 lol way up in the air. So now I lowered it 2 inchs in the rear to even it out. I weigh about 300 myself I tryed to ride someone that was about 160 and it rubbed. I was wondering if I go the different shock route will the bike be even harder. Its pretty rough right now to me. Whats my best options I still would like to be able to ride someone. I have even thought about the adjustable lowering links instead so when im by myself I can just drop it down, Then when I have a rider put it back to stock height.

0826001639.jpg

If you have a stock shock it's probably designed for 140-160 lbs rider and stock length swingarm. With your weight and a stretch the only way to correct the ride is to respring the shock or replace it. You probably have the compression and preload cranked to max and the shock just isn't going to work set like That.

I know what I'm talking about because I'm 300 lbs too, but I don't have a stretch. My setup is pretty stiff too and I'm looking to upgrade rear shock and fork springs as soon as funds allow. I guess in Japan people like us are Sumo wrestlers, not Hyaybusa pilots :laugh:

BTW: If you like to occasionally take her up past 100 mph, having the suspension set so hard is quite possibly dangerous.

Last edited:
Have you thought about putting an extended tail on the bike? If you want to keep the stretch you may have to go that route to gain some suspension travel clearance back. I'd also look into a new spring or complete rear shock.

Don"t turn the rebound dampening up all the way. This controls only how fast the shock will extend after a bump and if you have it too high then it will compress when you hit a bump and compress more when you hit another bump and it doesn't have enough time to extend back before another bump. The shock may be getting "packed up" Also, cranking the preload up all the way and then lowering it are working against each other. Raise it back up an inch and back off on the rebound dampening.:thumbsup:

Nor a re sprung, revalved shock could do it too. Racetech or ohlins, or a k8 for a slightly cheaper route
Posted via Mobile Device

What do people use to adjust the spanner nut under the spring?

I have used a flat head screwdriver and a hammer...I can't see getting a wrench in there with the tire and all

Back