Rear shock question

Blacmajic

Registered
Hello everyone, new to the forum. Just purchased my second busa, and man did I screw up royally. I got the I want this bike tunnel vision and am paying for it dearly. Anyway, I have an 08 with 8200 miles on it. Previous owner put an extended swingarm with 18 inch 240 tire on the bike. There is absolutely no bounce to the rear, its like a brick doesnt move at all when pushed on or sat on. Any idea what the problem could be? I checked out the shock and the spring is tightened all the way down maybe inch, inch and half from the bottom of the thread collar. I have seen picture of the rear shock on other bikes and it appears the spring should only be 6 to 10 mm from the top of the thread. Is it possible that all I need to do is adjust the preload or more likely I need a new shock? Bike also has adjustable dog bone which is on the bottom hole. Also will adjusting the preload raise the bike up? Thanks for the help!!

If you post a pic would be helpful.
Maybe the rear shock is ****ed up.
I would make it full soft and see where you stand then.
Let somebody watch you when you sit on it and see if it sags.
I don't think having a biker tire should effect the shock.

18" is a lot of leverage to put on the stock shock. The previous owner was trying to make it work by jacking up the preload in an attempt to get the bike to stop bottoming out (bet he was a big guy or rode 2 up). You may need a new rear shock or at least a stronger spring to get this to work properly. You need 50-60% of your shocks travel to get a controlled (and safe IMHO) ride. Modders often spend too much on bling and then just make due with the ride. After all a good shock is $600ish on the bottom end and a spring alone is $120-$200 or so installed. Further when you get out into the garage stretches, there isn't a lot of good info out there other than trial and error.

Your best bet is to get help before you spend money. Some of our sponsors can give some guidance and they will pipe up soon to this thread. I rode a couple stretches and while I'm not a fan they rode pretty well and turned, stopped and accelerated in a fairly safe manner. When people are planning their mods in a stretch they need to plan $200 to $500 in the budget to adjust the suspension to be safe in the new geometry due to the stretch.

Thanks for the info guys, had the shop loosen the pre load for me while they were doing my tires and chain and sprockets. Unforunately they only gave it two full turns and it is still loaded almost all the way down and has no bounce. I'm stopping by local shop and getting a spanner wrench so I can do it myself. Anyone have experience with the small hook one that attaches to a ratchet? Its significantly cheaper than the full one with handle but dont want to waste money on it if it doesnt work as well.

I need one of those where can you buy them?
Thanks for the info guys, had the shop loosen the pre load for me while they were doing my tires and chain and sprockets. Unforunately they only gave it two full turns and it is still loaded almost all the way down and has no bounce. I'm stopping by local shop and getting a spanner wrench so I can do it myself. Anyone have experience with the small hook one that attaches to a ratchet? Its significantly cheaper than the full one with handle but dont want to waste money on it if it doesnt work as well.

If the preload was all the way cranked up then this is not an adjustment issue it is either a new, heaver spring or a new shock. Springs are cheaper. Even putting around town this does not sound like a very safe situation.

If the preload was all the way cranked up then this is not an adjustment issue it is either a new, heaver spring or a new shock. Springs are cheaper. Even putting around town this does not sound like a very safe situation.
Yea I adjusted the preload to give it some shock travel, but I don't want to risk bottoming out. I will be ordering the heavy duty spring, hopefully that will get me where I want to be and still have the ability to take my wife for rides on the rare occasions shes willing to ride.

Back