Serious warranty question

rabtech

Registered
Let me start by saying that I have never had any serious problems with my Busa. Yesterday I hit the starter and the starter made a grinding noise. I was about 40 miles from home and had to get a trailer and load my bike up. When I got home I took the right fairing off That is when I saw 2 broken covers on the side of the block. I carried it today to my favorite Suzuki shop. They later called me and informed me that it had not only cracked the covers but it had also cracked the block. (somthing about the middle idler) They said that they would have to call the Suzuki rep and get back with me because of the severity. Now I would assume that they will have no problems warranting the parts , But they will have to remove the engine and split the block and this will intail removing the heads and just about all the parts of the motor. Should I let them break the engine down to this state being the bike is 3 months old. Or do I even have a choice. I would much rather them put a motor in the bike that is preassambled at the Suzuki plant rather that the local shop go though the whole motor. Someone with knowlege on warranty and Suzuki and all the above please help me. Also I want my bike repaired quickly. Summer is just starting and will end soon. I dont want my bike down more than a couple of weeks.
cussing.gif

...Summer is just starting and will end soon. I dont want my bike down more than a couple of weeks.  
cussing.gif
The decent thing for Suzuki to do, IMO, is to replace the engine, and it's probably cheaper anyway (parts vs. labor) so I suspect that's what they'd do. They might offer to buy it back, but I doubt it.

What with all of the seasonal work for you local shop, however, I can assure you that you will probably be out of action for at least a month. Sorry you have to go through this, pal
pissed.gif

I'ld demand a new motor...But with luck as is goes they will more than likely replace and repair...

Check the thread i just posted "Back in the Saddle Again" ... I had a similiar problem. But if its only three months old you're covered by warranty. What year is your bike?? I thought this issue was resolved in the 2003s.

I just posted about this same problem, The dealer only replaced the cases not the engine and now it leaks oil at the rear. Read my post

Rabtech....is this a 2002 or 2003 busa? Supposedly the 03s have a larger starting gear and this problem was resolved. I bought a 2003 to avoid this problem. Hope it doesnt happen.

sorry about you bike. I'd be on the phone to someone much much higher than a suzuki rep....Thats B.S. When you spend that much on a bike, its first summer shouldn't be in the shop.

rabtec, thats a serious crock! 3 months old? ever hear of the "lemon law" I would definately tell the dealer that sold it to me to replace the entire bike asap! or sue the dog hair off them! when you purchase a vehichle and the major component that motovates that vehichle fails and renders the vehichle useless is a "lemon" and the dealer must replace it! it never ceases to amaze me that manufacturers of motor vehicles especially suzuki will put machines on the floor with known "MAJOR" problems that can render that machine useless. would have been real nice if you had been 500 miles from no where at 9:00 at night with no cell phone, say you pull over for a P break? insist on a new machine! the dealer should eat it for selling you a lemon!

I bought the bike on 4/13/2003 at Jackson TN at the Great Outdoor Store. It is a Black on black Limited Edition 2002. I have pictures of it on my website at www.rabtech.com I called Suzuki America and they told me that they would send a dispatch message to there local field rep to call or go by the shop where it is it. He also told me that the bike was designed so that any part could be ordered and there was no chance that they would ship a whole engine in. If someone knows of a better way to handle what is going on please call me at 205-522-1121. If you are able to help me professionally I would be glad to pay for assistance. I dont know what would happen if someone help me get them to swap bikes, due to all the aftermarket stuff that is on the bike. I guess they would have to let me swap all the stuff such as wheels and exhaust while I was at the dealership. I really like the Black on Black but I guess a 40th ann bike would be nice. I live aprox 100 to 150 miles from the dealer where I bought it. I carried it to Clanton AL to Action Motorsports to have it repaired. They seem to be nice people in Clanton. I just hate to be out of business for the prime summer months. AND YES THERE IS A SERVICE BULLITEN ON THE STARTER AND I THINK IT IS BECAUSE OF INFERIOR METAL USED IN THE STARTER COVERS AND GEARS. This is a very sad subject.

busablacksmall_006.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
P.S. Thanks for everyones comments and support. Riding my BUSA just seems to make my stressful work days go by better just knowing that the weekend is going to be fun. I also like riding with all my friends. If and when I ever get my bike back If anyone lives close to Haleyville, AL give me a call at the above number and well hit some twisties together.

This board is the best and to all who pay for it and support it "thanks"

busablacksmall_002.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told by my dealer that they would repair the damage if it happened under warranty. I understand a low battery will cause the engine to kick back and blow the starter. Keep the battery charged. Schnitz racing makes a cover for the starter to protect the case. It's about 20 bucks. Good invetsment!

www.schnitzracing.com

Postal.

A low battery, too quick a tap on the starter button, kickback, I think I've heard em all. The bottom line is that Suzuki KNEW of the problem and failed to notify owners of the bike.. The Dollar rules in this market, its cheaper to frustrate a customer and have em down and out for the summer than gain a good customer service name.

A low battery, too quick a tap on the starter button, kickback, I think I've heard em all. The bottom line is that Suzuki KNEW of the problem and failed to notify owners of the bike.. The Dollar rules in this market, its cheaper to frustrate a customer and have em down and out for the summer than gain a good customer service name.
I agree, no bike should have this type of a malfunction for any reason. I mentioned the low battery because it might help someone avoid this problem. Yes, Suzuki should have recalled the bike to the dealers and fixed the problem, but they didn't. I guess they think they don't have to, customer loyalty must be very high. Regardless, a person can install the Schnitz racing starter case device and protect their engine casing, or take a chance on blowing a starter without it and destroying the engine case. I'll pay the 20 bucks and minimize the damage.

wink.gif

I was told by my dealer that they would repair the damage if it happened under warranty.  I understand a low battery will cause the engine to kick back and blow the starter.  Keep the battery charged.  Schnitz racing makes a cover for the starter to protect the case.  It's about 20 bucks.  Good invetsment!

www.schnitzracing.com

Postal.
And praytell just what the hell are you doing here?
rock.gif
I thought you quit on us dude. So you come back now after all the traded insults and good times. Is this a permanent stay, or are you just browsing?
rock.gif
You need to make up you mind because it's just not fair. You go off and leave the family with all your worldly wisdom and knowledge and pass it off to God knows whom, and then you return for a surprise visit? What up wit dat? Even though you are characterized as being somewhat "PRETTY", you gets no special privileges 'round chere. Anyway, I wrote all that nonsense just to say one thing..."GOOD TO HEAR FROM YA MAN!" Just thought that you should know that things are better and we have a great new group of newbies.

Brian
laugh.gif

rock.gif

this is what a neighbor did before the lemon law. he had a jeep cherokee, it had serious electrical probs that prevented it from starting, they fixed that, then it ran like crap, something about the tranny had a flaw? and they said the warranty wouldnt cover the expense to fix the problem(right around the time of throttle body injection) so he drove the jeep around with a huge sign on all 3 sides that read "I purchased this "LEMON" at Aurora Chevy/AMC/Jeep" if you got closer you could read the problems in detail what was wrong. he said he would park it out front of the dealer then go shop and eat. within a week he was driving a new vehicle, and it wasnt a jeep cherokee, but it was courtesy of the Jeep dealership. now I am sure there are laws regarding lemons, warranties, even time frames upon which they have to fix the problem. this is the way I see it, if the dealer is decent, he would either swap, since yours isnt new not much he can do there unless its a new 2002 just 3 monthes old. or they could loan you a new or used busa till yours is repaired. I would let him know that you and the entire busa community knows that suzuki knowingly puts bikes with poor engineering on the floors (I'm not talkin somethin like the clutch prob the 12s have either)if a company actually makes a fix for it, its gotta be bad. given the shnitz fix and all the busas that have encountered the prob, I would say your a shoe in to get the full amount you paid for the bike if it were to go to court, plus the shop would pay some serious fees just to lose. the only reason suzuki dont fix it is because it isnt a safety issue, if it were it would be fixed, and they figure no one is goint to hassle them for having their bike down for a month. I would raise some cane! tell them you will rent the nearest billboard or park a van outside thier shop! and ask suzuki why shnitz has to make a fix for their inferior engineering?

I was told by my dealer that they would repair the damage if it happened under warranty.  I understand a low battery will cause the engine to kick back and blow the starter.  Keep the battery charged.  Schnitz racing makes a cover for the starter to protect the case.  It's about 20 bucks.  Good invetsment!

www.schnitzracing.com

Postal.
And praytell just what the hell are you doing here?
rock.gif
 I thought you quit on us dude.  So you come back now after all the traded insults and good times.  Is this a permanent stay, or are you just browsing?
rock.gif
 You need to make up you mind because it's just not fair.  You go off and leave the family with all your worldly wisdom and knowledge and pass it off to God knows whom, and then you return for a surprise visit?  What up wit dat?  Even though you are characterized as being somewhat "PRETTY", you gets no special privileges 'round chere.  Anyway, I wrote all that nonsense just to say one thing..."GOOD TO HEAR FROM YA MAN!"  Just thought that you should know that things are better and we have a great new group of newbies.

Brian
laugh.gif
Thanks Brian. I've been in and out on this site over the last few months. I have a new job with USPS Engineering and it takes some real effort.
biggrin.gif
I've been working long hours and no play.

My vacation starts tomorrow and I'll be dropping by IL to see Bob and Tree. I will take some pictures and post so that everyone can see just how ugly I am, not saying anything about Bob or Tree. Hauling the Busa out there too. I'm also going to KS to visit some friends. Hope to hook up with KS Water Bug, but he will be kind of far from Topeka (where I will be staying). Might leave the Busa in IL too while I am in KS and pick it up on the way back. Wow.... That's way too much dribble.
laugh.gif
Anyway, thanks! Have a great 4th!

Postal.

cool.gif

rock.gif

laugh.gif

Back