Serious Safety Thread ...

I put the video up on my youtube, so if the web site goes down it will always be on me youtube

RIP Todd Hilligoss 2008-Friends, witnesses respond to deadly motorcycle drag racing crashwho died at the drag strip after hitting the I-Beam of a guard rail
RIP Nick Bernardi 2008- Motorcyclist dies in fatal Grape Road accidentwho died when a car pulled out in front of him and he was foolishly traveling at around 100 mph killing him and throwing his girlfriend Dawn Price hundreds of feet down the road

RIP Brent Blue 1985- who died after a slow speed fall around a corner and was impaled by his very own handlebars

RIP Mike 2008- who died last year on rout 66 in Arizona while pulling a small cargo trailer with his Harley Davidson (wich he has put over 100k miles on) and the rear wheel went over the edge of the road and pulled him over a cliff...

RIP Paul Sterma 2009-South Bend man mourned after deadly motorcycle accident who died after hitting a deer on the Indiana 80/90 toll road just days ago

Then there is this one today Fatal Motorcycle Accident / Your Severe Weather Station, South Bend, Indiana News, Weather, Sports, Notre Dame News, StormTeam 16 no word on who yet

couldn't find all the stories, but these where all people I knew and rode with at one time or another
:bowdown:

osceola+dragway+2001.jpg

Paul+Sturma.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What I’m about to share is to save you some heart burn after a crash. If you do not have med pay and at least $100.000.00 in uninsured motorist. Do so. It will save your wallet.

CHP - Motorcycle Safety - Informational Video

Try an anticipate the mistake that the other vehicle is going to make. i.e that car waiting to make that left turn, don't assume he sees you slow your roll every mph slower helps your reaction time, helps with evasive action or reduce your stopping distance. Coming to a stop start stopping early and keep an eye in the rear view to make sure the one behind you is going to stop, have your escape route ready an bike ready.

Just some things I keep in my mind while I ride. I saw how many views this thread an I am guessing the video has had and it's kinda of sad :( If it can get someone to think about cooling their heels, use some caution or take into consideration their families and friends feelings before they ride. Even if it's only for a month a week or a day, the few minutes watching that video was not a waste of your time.

Just my way of bumping this thread putting this video back into the eyes of our members, I have been reading a lot of threads lately about speeding running from the police, and realize I have seen just as many threads about fallen riders, some with out injuries some with, and some fatal :(

What we love an what we do is already dangerous. To all my fellow riders out there Ride safe an enjoy your ride Godspeed to you all.

Sorry for the rant have my fallen friends on my mind in my heart atm :(

Holy old thread come back to life.

Lamb would love to put his 2 cents in.

DON"T follow too closely and stay off the YELLOW LINE!

Thank you!

I just watched the video and tomorrow on Christmas day I will give my son a crf50 along with all the gear he needs. Videos like these keep your mind focused on the consequences on our actions. Every time I throw a leg over my bike I know there is a chance I might not make it home. I take responsibility for my choice to ride and can only blame myself if I ride foolishly.

Good thread. Ride safe everyone...

sorry for the rant.....but this statement really pisses me off.

"He died doing what he loved"

I hear that way too much. I know people say things like this to make themselves feel better about losing a friend, a loved one. The statement sounds noble, it makes us feel like our friend was really living life or that this death is less tragic....

We are not saying these things about a soldier, serving his country, a police officer or fireman that is killed protecting us.....that is noble, that is an honorable death.

There is nothing honorable about dieing because you were stupid. I have lost way too many friends in my life. Some really did die for a cause, some died doing a job they loved. Some really loved riding and happened to be at the wrong intersection at the wrong time as drunk ran a red light...

Still some were jackasses, racing on the streets like it was a racetrack...without safety gear...and died because they were stupid.

Sorry for the rant, but I once had to wake my buddy's mother up at 3am....telling her she needed to get to the hospital now.

Whats wrong with that phrase, I use it all the time and when my time comes I hope I'm on two wheels, coz if I have to leave this planet, I hope to be doing what I love when it happens.
It doesn't neccesarily mean you were being stupid @ the time that car ran the red light ?? No one is saying we are riding our bikes being heroic, and if the risk of dying out weights the joy of riding for you .... GIVE IT uP and head off to the safety of the libary !
I am an advocate of safe riding in all forms I just read alot of holes in your personal philosophy :whistle:

I don't know how I missed this thread when it was fresh but I did.

The most under-rated skill among motorcyclist is BRAKING!

Great flick, directed toward making the viewer more aware of the consequneces of a motorcycle crash. Crashes can and often times are deadly. Most if not all the crashes in this video were preventable by the rider.

The one that caught my attention most directly was the guy who had been riding for 38 years without an accident. Only to find after 38 years he had very poor braking skills. I see this all the time with guys that attend our school. They arrive pretty cocky with years of riding under their belt. When you run them through a braking routine they are totally lost.

I know it sounds like I'm preaching to you fellas but one more time "Braking is a learned skill"! Although it's boring to spend an hour a week practicing your braking skills, it just may save your life one day!

Remember, you are 39 times more likely to die on a motorcycle than in a car! Time spent developing your skills can pay big dividends in the end! :beerchug:

Last edited:
i'm permanently disabled because i had to see how fast it would go. i can still ride and lucky to be alive after smacking a car that was broke down and in the fast lane of I-77 north bound in statesville nc. they called in the family and pulled the plug, but i kept breathing.hole in left lung, 2 fractured vertebrae in my neck, shattered left knee,broke left femur in 2 places, broke left foot, broke right wrist,shattered right elbow,severed nerves in right shoulder, shattered rotator cuff right shoulder, broke both scapula(shoulder bones on the back) lost movement of right arm and walk with a serious limp. i was in a wheel chair and out of the hospital 7 days later. i was walking 3 months later. this happened 4/15/10. i was wearing leather hightop racing boots, full gauntlet gloves full face helmet. kevlar reinforced jeans. canvas harley jacket. i'll wear leather jacket from now on.

save the high speed runs for some place that is a controlled environment. i was lucky speed kills!

Last edited:
wow, awesome thread! A great line in the video: you are also riding for everyone around you. You have to watch out for yourself out there, know one else will. I was ran off the road on 66 going into DC the other day by some jack___ who was using the "change lanes and then look" method...almost made me go down!
And to the lady who's co-workers said you are better off NOT wearing a helmet: :moon:

I know this is an old thread, but it is pinned. It sounds a really good safety video to see, but all the links are bad now. So, if anyone has a current link to this video, please share. I for one would like to see it, and it might be good for other newbies as well.
Thanks!

I agree ^^^^ Don't know how I missed this thread - maybe because it was pinned? ??? Don't always look in that section.

Lets face it, motorcycles are serious fun and can be seriously dangerous. What we do on our bike is dangerous and frequently illegal. Hell, we ride Hayabusa's not mopeds! There have been many close calls for most of us experienced riders and yet we definately have a passion for riding... and wont give it up, nor should we RCChave to.

The purpose of this thread is to start a safety briefing for all of us. So feel free to post up suggestions and or comments but this is not a comical thread. What we share here may save a life, maybe yours.

The following video is from the California Hwy Patrol.

CHP - Motorcycle Safety - Informational Video

Just my two cents for safety if you're riding an eight pack staggered positions. The last Rider and Siri should be riding in the right lane. But in actuality he should be in the left lane behind the last second last Rider. That way he will have the same abilities as the left hand riders to escape injury or harm dot-dot-dotJust my two cents here but when riding a staggered formation with a few of your buddies you know one of the drivers side laying in the Highway 1 in the passenger side lane and then back and forth back and forth. If there's an eight men formation that means that the 8th guy will be riding the right hand shoulder of the road. He should actually behind the second to last Rider. It makes complete sense for all of the obvious reasons. Read on Ride on and be safe!

Back