Serious bug guts on my jacket

mjn

Hillbilly Deluxe
Donating Member
Registered
My Joe Rocket perforated jacket is covered in guts.

It is kinda knarly!
tounge.gif
Hell, my wife won't even get near me when I have it on!

After our ride into Montana, it's even worse...kinda embarassing
blush.gif

I've tried to clean it with a damp cloth, but these buggers (!) are stuck on there dang good!

What do you use to make your leathers look presentable again?

Auto interior leather cleaner, if the damp rag doesn't work. Also did you ScotchGuard the jacket?
no, I didn't....Just don't want to use anything that will damage it...

Auto leather cleaner is a good idea. Probably got some of that at home..

Thanks!

I Wilson's water proofing followed by (after it dried) their leather lotion. Usually a hot, damp wet rag works for me. I have used the leather lotion to clean it though as well, as their leather lotion also can be used to clean.

What's up with those bug guts anyway? Some 'a those bug's insides really stick to the jacket, don't they?
blush.gif

I Wilson's water proofing followed by (after it dried) their leather lotion. Usually a hot, damp wet rag works for me. I have used the leather lotion to clean it though as well, as their leather lotion also can be used to clean.

What's up with those bug guts anyway? Some 'a those bug's insides really stick to the jacket, don't they?
blush.gif
I second that. Wilson's is a gift in an otherwise uncaring and indifferent universe.

Bug guts on the other hand...

For my Fieldsheer perforated leather , I use a powerwasher to keep it clean.
I hang the jacket outside on a heavy duty hanger and go to it.
It works great, with a little leather conditioner, after it has dried. Keeps it looking great and most importantly clean.

Ride in the rain, then wipe your jacket off with a terry cloth and hot water.  

Otherwise, get nekkid except for your jacket (your wife might get close to you then) and get in the shower stall with some MILD soap (unless your jacket manufacturer says otherwise) and a washcloth.  She can wash your back.  Rinse well then go ride.  

Uh, after you get dressed - and whatever...

When dry use a good leather conditioner - I like a thin coat of Huberds Shoe Grease.

I don't recommend saddle soap as it's a bit harsh for use on thin leather.

Edit to add - DON'T just hang up your jacket and let it dry by itself - WEAR it dry.

<!--EDIT|Aughtsix
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122774220 -->

I just use a damp cloth, very damp! Then I come back after it dries with saddle soap.:)

blush.gif
I second that. Wilson's is a gift in an otherwise uncaring and indifferent universe.

Bug guts on the other hand...
Wilson's waterproofing spray, just like the shoe protector they try to sell you every time you buy a pair of tennis shoes, is ScotchGuard in a different can. It all works on all leather, so whatever's cheapest.........

Back