Securing Ballasts to air intake tube?

Speed King

Banned
I just installed HIDS on my 08 and was wondering if there is any other good way to secure the ballasts to the air intake tube other than zip ties?

I was thinking JB weld or some electrical tape to secure the ballasts to air intake tube?

Zip ties don't seem to secure ballasts all that well and i don't want it to come loose when I am riding.

I have mine attached with double sided tape and zip ties, has stayed put for several thousand miles so far.

The best method I've seen (and use...even track days) is to buy 4 vacuum cleaner belts (2 each side). They really hold it tight. Available at all grocery stores. Raydog

The best method I've seen (and use...even track days) is to buy 4 vacuum cleaner belts (2 each side). They really hold it tight. Available at all grocery stores. Raydog

+100 on the vacuum belts--- that's what was recommended to me when I did my install and they work perfectly--- only used one per side on mine but it has held just fine--- I can't remember what the part number was though that I used (for sizing only)-- you can't get one too long of course---maybe someone will chime in on which size they used again...try to search in the HID installs also for the one that everyone was using... good luck:thumbsup: you'll love the difference they make

I put a doublesided sticky pad on between the tube and ballast... Put a ziptie around the back side of the ballast and tube and one around where the harness plugs in and tube on the frontside... then I put one around both zipties to keep the zipties from spreading apart and off the ballast. Make sense?

Last edited:
Dont make it too permanent whatever the method.
Never know when you make have to replace them.
JB weld would suck to have to scrape off.
Zip ties and doublesided tape worked fine for me.

I used a postal rubber band,the (skinny red one) + trident with layers( chewed well) and used condom it holds good :whistle:

except for the drip

screwed them on and have 26,000 miles since then with no problems :beerchug:

IMG_0773 (Large).jpg

I also used double side tape. I put zip ties on as well, becasue I am paranoid. After all there is not a lot of room for them to shift once the bike is put back together.

Back