Screen's in holes

defuzer565

Registered
I put the gutter screen in all the open vents over last weekend. I painted them black instead of leaving the natural color. I used high heat engine paint. It turned out well to me.

Busa_027.JPG

It's a great mod! I may have to redo and paint black myself.

I've been thinking about doing this. Any tips and/or tricks?

I'm curious as to how you mounted them on the backside of the plastic.

HMan,

I cut a piece of the gutter screen off bigger than the hole and formed it to the hole by pushing it through and just pushing around the edges until it fit snug on its own. Then I trimmed of the excess. After I had the pieced sized and formed correctly, I painted them and baked in the oven for about an hour at 200 degrees to set the paint, (my wife’s not here, or else that wouldn’t have been possible). I put the pieces in place and used a soldering iron to sort of spot weld the grate into the plastic, it’s on the inside where no one sees it. Then I ran a bead of black RTV, hi temp stuff around the edges to secure it more and provide some vibration dampening. I read a post on here before about the soldering iron and RTV so it’s not my original idea, but it works.

Heres the grates before install.

grates.JPG

HMan,

It did pretty much take me all day, but I wanted it to look good and stay put. It does take some patience though.

I did the same thing, but used silcone in a red tube from the auto parts store. Works really well, but needs to set up over night before putting the fairings back on the bike.

Wanted to see the black...I have seen 100's of silver, and of course my own red....but my red color is fadding.

Here's a couple of mine....I opted to even paint my intake screens during my upper fairing replacement.

Dan

New_look_021.jpg

Some tips:

You can buy already black gutter screen.

Take some 1/2" automotive pin stripe and SPELL YOUR NICK NAME or HANDLE or MAKE A KANJI on the screen then paint the entire screen. Outline decal with razor. Remove decal to have a two-tone custom painted screen. Transfer the lines from the tank on down!

Your working on the inside. Bow the screen out ward so it doesnt have a FLAT appearnce. It helps it clear the radiator side better. Soldering IRON/RTV is the quickest method.

If your doing a custom NON STOCK paint scheme, screen the holes in first then paint, it comes out much nicer and more fuller in designs.

Monitor the "PATTERN" of the screen so one doesnt go side to side and the other up and down. It is apparent!.

dont reinstall panels till next day. If not cured engine heat will melt it all down the motor.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT USE HOT GLUE. ENGINE HEAT MELTS THE GLUE!

ICE

Nice job, I would do it on my bike except I need to get as much heat away from the engine as possible.

Back