Saw a couple '05 busas in person today...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
Well, I made the dealership rounds today tryin' to find helmets of different makes and models to try on so I could decide on which one to buy and ran across a couple of '05 busas in stock at one of the dealers. A black/grey and a blue/silver. Most of you already know that I haven't been a fan of the '05 tri-tone graphics. When I realized that they were '05 models my first thought was that the graphics weren't as bad as I first though after seein' the pics on the net. I'm still no fan of 80's styling on new sportbikes, it just looked a bit better in person.

Anyway, after lookin' closer I found that a lot of the two and three tone graphics were decals and not paint like the older models. I'm not talkin' about just the logos. I'm talkin' about them usin' decals on the upper to "finish" the color from the side fairings and vice versa. I wish I'd had my camera so I could take photos to use here to explain what I mean. I had decided that if I'd went with an '05 busa I'd remove ALL decals and either put on pre-'05 decals or just leave 'em all off. Ya can't do that with the '05 though. You'll have places where the actual two tone "paint" theme of the bike is broken and mismatched because THEY USED DECALS ON SOME PARTS TO FINISH OUT PARTS OF THE SCHEME THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN PAINTED!!!
mad.gif

I've gotta say that due to their use of colored decals where they should have painted I'd have no use for a '05 busa unless I planned to paint the damned thing right off the bat. This is the cheesiest, cheapest done paint scheme I've seen on ANY new bike in the past year.

Now, keep in mind that I'm no knockin' those who actually like the '05 tri-tone scheme and graphics. I understand the whole different strokes for different folks thing. If you like the new scheme that's great. I'm not callin' your taste into question. I'm simply sayin' that I personally don't like it.

The purpose of this thread is NOT to slam or bag on busas. The purpose of this thread is to express a gripe I have for Suzuki after seein' what a piss poor job they did, not with the design since that's subjective and just my opinion, but with the EXECUTION of the theme. Come on Zuk... Decals to finish out graphics from one panel to another? How fuggin' tacky can ya get?
rock.gif

Anyone who agrees with me on not likin' the '05 graphics should also take note that you cannot simply peel the decals and make yer own. You will either have to leave some decals on (possibly havin' to trim off parts of them) or do some paint work to finish and fix what Zuk should have. Just don't want anyone to think they can simply peel off the tri-tone stuff and slap on older year logos like I had planned to do if I went with a new busa instead of the 10...

I just can't get over zuk doin' somethin' that fuggin' cheesy and stupid!
drooling3.gif

I did the same thing today. I also noticed that part of the nose of the bike is one color with the other color as a decal, and the body will have the other color paint and the first color a decal.

I'm glad I got the best looking color scheme. IMHO

GSX1300RK4_Black_000000.jpg

Here's a small, poor image that shows the decals as I remember them. When I get ready to add a busa back to my stable I'll definitely be lookin' for an older model. Not payin' zuk my money for a new one done this cheaply... I'd be lookin' for a pre-05 LE of some sort or a brand new left over '04 red LE or black/purple '04... I still can't believe they cheaped out like this!!!
mad.gif

hayabusa05.jpg

I am sure they had some thought behind the decals...like they are less weight than painting all of the bike...
wink.gif
LOL!!!

All I know is it is my first BUSA and I could care less about that much detail...I just know it will beat any other bike on the road and they are just cool to look at or have people look at while you fly by!!
cool.gif
MHO

I am sure they had some thought behind the decals...like they are less weight than painting all of the bike...
wink.gif
LOL!!!

All I know is it is my first BUSA and I could care less about that much detail...I just know it will beat any other bike on the road and they are just cool to look at or have people look at while you fly by!!
cool.gif
MHO
The only reason I can see for doin' it like that is COST. Much cheaper to have decals made than to paint, especially two toning parts like that.

And again, I'm not baggin' on yer bike, man. If you're happy, I'm happy for ya. What I'm lookin' at is the fact that paint and decals age and fade at different rates. The decals will prolly look like shid and mismatch after some time in the sun compared to the clearcoated base coat paint. That's the biggest problem I have with it. Also, Fwiw, the match isn't exact to begin with since you can't match paint exactly with decals. You can get close, but not exact. It just pisses me off that they gimped out on us like this for a few $$$ after all the money they've made off of busa buyers over the years.
sad.gif

I got the idea that the decals were due to the grey third color. If you notice, it does the fade thing from dark to light. I think is probably an issue like that. They do look nice though. I'm not knocking them, the black and purple has really grown on me.
biggrin.gif

you are exactly right...sad to see they have done this to the BUSAs...but I will ride it with or without the decals...when they fade or start looking so horrible, I will go and get the paint done right or just get a custom job.  
biggrin.gif
  just gotta do what I can with what I got  
smile.gif

Chad

<!--EDIT|05bulldog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100228468 -->

YEah I mentioned this a couple weeks ago.... Kinda frustrating, but what are ya going to?

Besides make 05 owners kinda feel bad...

Well, I'm with bulldog. This is my first busa, and I'm LOVING it.
Yeah, I thought that the whole decal thing was pretty cheap, but it looks really sweet IMO. Besides, when things do start fading, it'll be the perfect excuse for a custom job
wink.gif

As for the "S" logo instead of suzuki, at first I really hated it, but after seeing how it looks in person (with my red/black), I think it looks a lot better than the "suzuki" would (for this particular model). Just my .02 cents though.

Yeah Rev, BT, I'm with you.

I took some time on this Veteran's Day to haunt some bike shops and saw an '05 Silver/Blue. I came away a whole bunch less than impressed. Even without the decals it's waaaaaay too much silver in my opinion. The only standard color combination that would draw my eye this year is the Black/Gray - it's a very 'formal' looking bike - though I wish Suzuki had used paint rather than decals. I hadn't thought about the difference in the aging of the two surfaces, but that's a good point.

I guess time will tell...

Steve

Yeah I kinda dig the big S.... it's the use of decals I am not all that pleased with. I am sure they will age just fine... Folks keep bringing up paint fade, I imagine in 20 years that might really be a concern, otherwise just don't store your Busa in direct sunlight...

Man what's up with Suzuki? They really dropped the ball with the Busa this year...and even went a little ugly on the 1k Gixxer. They need to fire their design team and make '06 models all solid colors until they get it figured out.

IMHO of course..

Dan

No. No trade, Carpenter Race motors, 200 hp, drive in, drive out....$2300. Up three on the back...stock wheel base = hand full of fun. Carpenter Racing

<!--EDIT|moondog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100269394 -->

If you ask me, it seems as though Suzuki is at a standstill or going slightly backwards with its' flagship bike. We all agree, for the most part, that it's time for some changes to the Busa.

i hate decals that look like paint. anyone ever see the corvette with the carbon fiber hood? basically the whole hood is one big sticker!!!!!!

YEah I mentioned this a couple weeks ago.... Kinda frustrating, but what are ya going to?

Besides make 05 owners kinda feel bad...

What do ya do? Ya vote with your money and not pay Suzuki for a half done job, just like yoou would with any other painter that tried to pawn this crap off on ya.
wink.gif

And I'm not tryin' to make anyone feel bad about their ride. I fully understand wantin' a busa so bad that you are willin' to live with stuff like this. I would have sucked it up and bought one anyway if the '03 had been that way when I was buyin' my first busa. There are far more awesome things about the busa than there are niggles like this.

The point of this thread was to vent more than anything. I just think that zuk has rested on it's haunches long enough on the busa as it is. A *LOT* of people are ready to see the flagship get a revamp. I just think it was a stupid fuggin' move to actually offer the same stagnant busa design to us yet again, and on top of that have the nerve to actually *REDUCE* quality like this.

The *ONLY* way I'd go with an '05 is in the event that I couldn't find a good used busa or a left over '04 and the only way I could get another busa was to get an '05. Yeah, I'd suck it up just like everyone else would/is and live with it until I could paint it properly, but it would burn my ass to no end that I had to pay this year's price for a bike with a lower quality finish than last year's version. I'd also resent the fug out of zuk for cuttin' corners and gimpin' on what is prolly they ONLY model they have that has paid for it's own R&D plus some in the last 6 years due to the fact that they haven't changed it in that long. If they're not gonna update the busa, fine. But do NOT start cuttin' corners, cheesin' it up, TAKIN' AWAY from it's friggin' aura. I mean DAMN!!!
mad.gif

I know I just keep rantin' about this... It just pissed me off to see that yesterday. Fwiw, I think the last two sentences (in bold) in the paragraph above really sum up why it burns my ass so bad... ya know?
rock.gif
Sorry to just keep beatin' the poor ol' horse, but as a busa addict it's just plain fuggin' insultin' to me.
mad.gif

mad.gif

Back