Safety on the road...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
How much did safety weigh in deciding the color of your bike?

For example, I love the 04' LE not just because it is red w/ black but because it is much easier to spot on the road by cage drivers and others vs. let's say the 05' LE which is the same color of the pavement and blends right in.

I think its a big factor. I had the o4 LE, great color for safety. Why do you think red sports cars get more tickets? More visible.

I was thinking the same thing..... but the red is a COP MAGNET! Ask me how i know.
laugh.gif

How much did safety weigh in deciding the color of your bike?

For example, I love the 04' LE not just because it is red w/ black but because it is much easier to spot on the road by cage drivers and others vs. let's say the 05' LE which is the same color of the pavement and blends right in.
This is a long story but I'll try and keep it short...

Been riding all my life..then 18 years ago built my first home..married my wife a year or so later...then traded my '86 Honda Nighthawk "S" Model for a new goldwing...wife got pregnant...I got laid off..sold the wing...and for the next 7 years?..for the first time in my life?..I was "Bikeless"...but sompt'in was miss'in...and 7 years and 3 daughters later was more than long enough..informed wife I was gett'in a bike again...she forbid me to...so I chose to ask forgivness rather than beg permission and bought one '00 Model ZRX1100 despite her forbidding...she was not concerned about my riding skillz..she was worried about all the blueheads down here in south florida killing her husband of 3 children...so to console?...I happily informed her that I did make a concession by saying..."Look Honey...I wanted the black one but...FooOOrrRR Safety Reasons?...I got this ugly azz green one with purple and white stripes...fug...Stevie Wonder couldn't miss this thing coming."
biggrin.gif

2 years and 22,000 miles later an out-of-town elderly couple from winterhaven looked right through me and while I was rolling at about 45-50mph?..with about 10-20 yards to spare they pulled out right in front of me to make a left from a sidestreet...I stood the bike on it's nose and looked for a soft spot on their minivan...bike was totaled and I sat home eating percodans for a month...it was dusk..the driver claimed that he looked but...thought my headlight was part of the set of headlights on the cage a good ways behind me.

While I still believe that ultra bright colors may help in some instances?..."Vehicle Type/Shape"...is what dictates peoples minds...in other words?..you and your bike could be dressed up like a roll'in box of crayola crayons...but the vast majority of peoples minds?...

still ain't looking for a bike when they look. (that would be a period)

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

When I got my 04 LE it was because of the brite red color, and Your right its a cop magnet, but I still loved the red of my old 04LE. I loved it until the day last year when a lady ran a stop sign because she didn't see me!!!!!!!!!!
sad.gif
sad.gif

sad.gif

btw...while we're speaking of colors?...red is great for 2 things...

1. attracting cops and..

2. gett'in azz ended...as a red brakelight isn't quite as noticable on a red bike for some reason.....hence?...to a certain degree it fails to catch folks attention and alert them to the fact that you are either stopped or stopping.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I got BLACK so no one would notice me
tounge.gif

But, officer, didn't I just blend in with the asphalt, so how could you see me
laugh.gif

Back