Safely gettin paid from a Craigslist ad.

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
I might have a buyer for my 240 kit, I offered to meet him a few hours south of me, but I don't wanna show up and have him not be there. So, how can I get some money safely before I leave? I don't wanna use paypal due to the scammers, but I'm not wasting a day of driving and gas, ideas?

That's a risk you take, just as he takes same risk you won't show up either. Just meet in daylight in a public place, like a bank parking lot, and don't go alone.

few hours which means to me 3 or more? Really I wouldnt drive3+ hours let alone over an hour to sell something unless I was making atleast a grand.

Just take protection with you. Dont rely on others to help you in a robbery.

I'll say this, both of you be in agreement on how you see the event going down. I once drove 2.5 hrs to sell a car that we had done video, pics, the whole shooting match. It was basically a new car. I showed up and the guy had his wife and two kids and they wanted to look it over and think on it. It's all about your understanding of the deal. Make sure they agree with the buyers.

If it were me, I wouldn't be going too far from home to deliver - unless you stated in your ad that you would. Last time I sold stuff on CL, while I didn't specify, I expected buyers to come to me; I would deliver...for a fee.

:2cents:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

no way I would drive more than 30 minutes from home if I was the seller. I say as a buyer it's expected to have to go to item.

Guess I'm just gonna have to trust em, its a pain. I posted in 10 cities around my area and said I'd meet a buyer, I just want this thing gone and cash in hand.

Thanks for the tips, and Lanky, I'm gonna send in my sniper early for overwatch :thumbsup:

Yeah I didnt want to be Mr. Negative but ive never met more bull:moon:ers in my life than on Craigslist. And thats buying and selling, I really dont even like dealing with CL for that very reason. I prefer Ebay

Yeah I didnt want to be Mr. Negative but ive never met more bull:moon:ers in my life than on Craigslist. And thats buying and selling, I really dont even like dealing with CL for that very reason. I prefer Ebay

19 Emails and the dang kit still sits in my garage. :banghead: 11 seemed to be people with others being scammers. Not gonna renew the ads again till tax time or warmer weather, I was hoping someone would want it now so they wouldnt lose riding time during the install, guess not.

I don't do email on CL. I know people don't like giving their number, but I use my cell phone and take calls and texts. I don't use it a lot, but have really not run into any scams that way. Scammers like to cast a wide net with automation through emails, harder to do when you have to call someone. (still have to be carefull, but not as much to sift through) I don't even list my email. Oh and it also helps to spell out a number or something, to keep any automated filters from easily catching your number.

i just read an article the other day where a guy got jammed for his car on craigslist, they got out to look at car guy shoved the owner jumped in took off, lots of shady people out there wanting your stuff for free, try Ebay its alot safer a 240 kit i wouldnt think that many people on craigslist even know what one of those are if you know what i mean? good luck tho:thumbsup:

Yeah I know people dont like to sell stuff on Ebay cause they tax but at least you dont have to drive hours to meet people that never intend on showing or tire kickers with nothing better to do than waste yours and thier time. I dont know if he has an ebay account but you can only sell up to a $1000 worth of merchandise initially so it might not be an option for him

Just make sure to take your assault caulk gun. Seeing as how you're in New York I'd take two tubes!
:laugh:

19 Emails and the dang kit still sits in my garage. :banghead: 11 seemed to be people with others being scammers. Not gonna renew the ads again till tax time or warmer weather, I was hoping someone would want it now so they wouldnt lose riding time during the install, guess not.

I sell LOTS of stuff on craigslist, i avoid the headaches of scammers by not paying any attention to any emails or texts. i note in the ad listing "calls only" i have found that if someone is truly interested in buying something, they can pick up the phone and call. hell, sometimes i'll even ignore the phone and let them call a couple of times just to make sure they really want it.

I was tryin to avoid eBay just off the pain of shipping it, its a big ol thing. Likely just let it sit another month or 2 and then try again.

And yes Saiid, I always carry the Double gun :thumbsup:

You can list on ebay for local pick up only. I've done it. It works.

Guess I'm just gonna have to trust em, its a pain. I posted in 10 cities around my area and said I'd meet a buyer, I just want this thing gone and cash in hand.

Thanks for the tips, and Lanky, I'm gonna send in my sniper early for overwatch :thumbsup:

Hmm not sure I think snipers are ilegal for personal use, Just take one of them man killing pitbulls with you doesnt matter just a pitbull any will do they are killer:rofl:

Back