"S h a r k !"

re: "S h a r k !"

Quiet times on the deck of the New Jersey...

USS-NJ-Underweigh.jpg

Here are a couple of McKee pics.

The sub alongside is doing primary relief valve testing. Actually testing the reactor relief valves to make sure they work properly. It is a scary job!

PRVT.jpg

mckee1.jpg

mckee2.jpg

Hey, I spent 33 days crossing the Pacific on the USS Beyar AKA 247 with 2800 sick, pucking Marines! I slept fore of the brig on a rack 13 racks high. I still remember, "Revile revile revile, all restricted men muster at the Master at Arms office".
Then we (5th Mar Div) actually made an amphibious landing over nets with 75 pound combat packs on and if I didn't respect the Navy by then....10 Zodiacs circled in the water below with Navy Seal divers plucking Marines out of the water when they fell off the nets!
I won't even try to describe USN Corpmen side by side with me in combat....they ALL deserve Medals of Honor. Doyle

33 days? OMG...Doyle YOU deserve a Medal of Honor.

Sailors onboard NIMITZ getting ready to arrive San Diego...

Sailors Speak.jpg

Doyle-- I would have been the helpful sailor making :puke: sounds behind you, or walking around the ship with an open can of sardines! I LOVED making others :puke:.

Question--- Did you get your beer day? (30 days out you should have)
I got 2 beer days in one cruise! One for 45 days out and the other for 33 days out!

Here's the USS SHARK at Mare Island Naval Ship Yard (where she was when I reported aboard back in '83) performing a test of the emergency blow (all of the water forcibly blown from the ballast tanks, affording the boat emergency positive buoyancy).

Muy importante.

SHARK-PiersideEmergencyBlow.jpg

Here's another pic of the Pintado, North Pole

Pintado North Pole (2).jpg

Doyle-- I would have been the helpful sailor making :puke: sounds behind you, or walking around the ship with an open can of sardines! I LOVED making others :puke:.

Question--- Did you get your beer day? (30 days out you should have)
I got 2 beer days in one cruise! One for 45 days out and the other for 33 days out!

I truly don't remember getting a beer day! Now I feel ripped off! I do remember thinking there was an earthquake in the dam jungle after we took the beach, the whole world kept moving for days!
(ps I'm not trying to make this sound like WWII on Omaha Beach....there wasn't a VC or NVA around for 40 miles!)

First pic- Acadia (AD-42) in Hong Kong
Second pic- Acadia (AD-42) steel beach picnic (with beer day)
Third pic-Leaving Pearl Harbor

acadiaHK.jpg

acadiaSB.jpg

pearl.jpg

Here's the main passageway fore-aft in SHARK... On the left is the ship's office; on the right is the 'radio shack', and immediately behind us, at Frame 44, is the reactor compartment.

The day I got my Dolphins...

The two guys behind me are Ed Davidson and Hank Renard (also known as SeaDaddies; I know, I know), both of whom helped me study ship's systems before the review board to determine my qualifications.

Passing that board was the last requirement before the award of the Dolphins.

It was a great day!

Scar and Sea Daddies.jpg

Here's the letter to my folks...regarding my (SS) designation...

Letter Home.jpg

One of these days I need to put my Navy pictures on my computer. Wow Scar, that is VERY cool!

One of these days I need to put my Navy pictures on my computer. Wow Scar, that is VERY cool!

Yeah...more pix, please. This has been an absolute blast, Derrick.

Talk about Memory Lane! :beerchug:

One last pic before I get some dinner...

USS NEW JERSEY in a 21-Gun Broadside.

USS NJ-21GunBroadside.jpg

Last edited:

This is all me baby!!!!

Not only will we chase your CHIT, but will can and will fix your reactor!

NPPO.jpg

This is all me baby!!!!

Not only will we chase your CHIT, but will can and will fix your reactor!

Sweet. :beerchug:

Again, sir, I thank you sincerely for your dedication to your country, your family, your service, and to World peace.

Dude...I just have to share this...

Fresh out of Boot Camp...my first school...Meridian, Mississippi.

I was a Fireman Apprentice. :rofl:

YN-ASchool-MeridianMS1983.jpg

Both you guys are twice the men you used to be. WTH?

Step away from the dinner table.:poke:

Back