running hot

simons38

Registered
Hi all, just had my bike serviced rode it home and the dial on the temp guage went into the red when sat in traffic. Never done this before, riding on the motorway is ok as the air cools it and the needle on temp stays just below half way, but as soon as i get into traffic the temp rises quick, the fan kicks in but doesnt cool the engine and the temp keeps rising. Any ideas ?? cheers
wink.gif

What service did you have done to the bike? Did they change the coolant? Since you say the fan kicks on, it is probably air in the line that needs to be removed. If you have not I would do like shenoyp suggested and replace the stock fan with a Muzzy fan. And welcome.

What service did you have done to the bike?  Did they change the coolant?  Since you say the fan kicks on, it is probably air in the line that needs to be removed.  If you have not I would do like shenoyp suggested and replace the stock fan with a Muzzy fan.  And welcome.
I doubt you need a MUZZY fan, I would figure out what the issue is and fix it, not bandaid it with something else... It is obviously not working right..

Check the coolant level... If you have too much anti-freeze per water mix, it will run hot... Make sure you have a 70% water and 30% anti-freeze mix...
smile.gif

If this isn't it, maybe its the thermostat...

What mods do you have? What service was done to it...? Always ask yourself "what has changed..." Obviously it was just worked on and I am betting something there caused this...

You should take it back to the shop you had it worked on and tell them it is now over heating since they worked on it. They will at lest tell you what the issue is, I am sure...

What service did you have done to the bike?  Did they change the coolant?  Since you say the fan kicks on, it is probably air in the line that needs to be removed.  If you have not I would do like shenoyp suggested and replace the stock fan with a Muzzy fan.  And welcome.
I doubt you need a MUZZY fan, I would figure out what the issue is and fix it, not bandaid it with something else... It is obviously not working right..

Check the coolant level... If you have too much anti-freeze per water mix, it will run hot... Make sure you have a 70% water and 30% anti-freeze mix...
smile.gif

If this isn't it, maybe its the thermostat...

What mods do you have? What service was done to it...? Always ask yourself "what has changed..." Obviously it was just worked on and I am betting something there caused this...

You should take it back to the shop you had it worked on and tell them it is now over heating since they worked on it. They will at lest tell you what the issue is, I am sure...
If you notice, the discussion of the Muzzy fan occurred after I had given him the suggested problem. It was after for a reason.

1)too much antifreeeze not enough water,have them check the balance with a coolant meter
2)Air in Line
3)Radiator cap maybe off a little cause air to be sucked in to system
4)fan motor could be defective.I had one were the motor would spin but fan blade had melted on the back side and wasn't moving.

Cheers for your replys, i did take it back to the dealer , he got his mechanic to check it over but couldnt find anything wrong, all they did was the oil , plugs and air filter they said that the cooling system wasnt touched.
I still got the problem now, it is ok when moving (air cooled) the fan definately is spinning cos me boots get well hot now, I have noticed that the bike temp gets to mid point really quick when I start it up which it didnt used to , about three mins, any ideas ? do Busa's have stats ?
rock.gif

air in line. Let it run without the cap on it. Cut it off and refill it. Keep doing that until it stops overheating

I have had the overheating problem for over 3 years !!, living in london it originally happened when stuck in traffic - boiled over the lot.

took it to major dealer in enfield who said nowt wrong !! - got it home , sat it stationary on drive - 5 mins needle went up , fan came on but temp did not drop, just kept going into red, and boiled over !! - called dealer who said it was 'normal' behaviour for a high performance bike if not moving - pardon me but what crap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

must admit rad full of grit due to lots of london and foreign trips etc. (couldn't afford replacement at this time), tried muzy fan, silkolene pro cool (prolpylene alcohol high spec coolant - recommended on usa web forum), checked conectors , burped rad, refilled 3 times over 3 years.

now on Isle of wight for 2 years - still happened , recently got complete 'new' rad with fan and sensor fitted - from EBAY usa for £180 , just fitted it , and ..................yippee , temp goes up to mid mark, moves past it, fan comes on temp drops, fan stops etc etc !!!!!!!!!! - sorted

not sure what was wrong, but i suspect clogged rad either internal or external grit (making it inefficient) or possibly slow fan motor - who cares now resolved

hope this helps

i have cleaned the outside of the rad with a jet wash and a brush, moved quite a bit of crap. the bike runs cooler when moving now but still goes towards the red when stuck in traffic with the fan running. Have tried keeping the bike at bout 2000 revs at the lights incase the battery was a bit shot, but didnt work. So sounds like could be the rad clogged inside.
Have noticed the bike warms up to mid point on the temp quickly then drops off to bout quarter way while moving then gradually goes up again.
Cheers for the ideas sounds like a new rad !!

i have cleaned the outside of the rad with a jet wash and a brush, moved quite a bit of crap. the bike runs cooler when moving now but still goes towards the red when stuck in traffic with the fan running. Have tried keeping  the bike at bout 2000 revs at the lights incase the battery was a bit shot, but didnt work. So sounds like could be the rad clogged inside.
       Have noticed the bike warms up to mid point on the temp quickly then drops off to bout quarter way while moving then gradually goes up again.
       Cheers for the ideas sounds like a new rad !!
When I had thermostat issues, I would get heat creap occassionally, but not consistently... My thermostat was opening sometimes and not others... I replaced it and all was well on the turbo supra...
biggrin.gif

Good Luck...

I have a 2002 Busa with 18500 miles. I had heat issues as well and ordered the aluminum fan from http://www.schnitzracing.com and I also changed the coolant, using Engine Ice. I noticed a significant temperature change. I was really impressed with the Engine Ice. I bought it from my local dealership. The temp has not gone in the red yet. Usually stays below the middle line.

Back to the shop!

In 3 years I have NEVER seen the temp in the red, half of that time I was living places it got to 110F in the shade.

No engine ice, no muzzy fan and a turbo.

<!--EDIT|Rosco
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129339713 -->

It's just too much engine wrapped up with all that plastic. It will over heat if it just sits and idles. Check your coolant reservior for a white sediment in the bottom. I haven't heard it mentioned for a while but it used to be that all new busas would end up with this in the reservoir. I dumped it out and it has helped some.

brand new busa, pulled it out of the dealer lot, in traffic it overheats to red + warning light. Called dealer, sevice shop is closed. I'm going to take it back to dealer tomorrow. sigh.

TAKE THE STANT OUT. OH YEAH WELCOME.

<!--EDIT|JROCK
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133879857 -->

Check the coolant level first. Start the bike and see if the fan comes on. Sounds like air in the line.

Back