overheating???

cbibb

Registered
I was out riding my 05 Busa today and was sitting at a long light. About halfway up the temp gauge my fan turned on but the temp kept slowly rising. I sat there for another minute or so and the temp gauge got to about 3/4 way up and the light turned green. Once I was going the temp came down pretty quickly. Where should the temp gauge be for normal cruising? On my R1 as soon as the fan comes on the temp will start coming back down. Is this normal for a Busa? Where on the temp gauge should I start getting concerned? I think I might put engine ice in it like I did the R1 because the climate is so hot and humid down here. Thanks for any input. Chris

Check your coolant level...Fan should kick on just before the half way mark and go over just a little before the bike starts to cool...

yer o5 is new, how new? How many miles? Perhaps it was not properly prepared by the dealer and it has air in the system.Sounds like the cooling system is working,but not totally efficiently. Sounds like an air bubble,or low level.If its new,take it back right away,get them to burb it.

I would say its not cooling down fast enuff.

It is brand new, I just hit 250 miles today. How do you burp the system? And where do you check the coolant level? I dont have my manual yet and I know you guys know where the oveflow bottle is. Thanks. Chris

I would let the dealer do it... if you cant see yer coolant overflow tank, you may a pro to fix you up...
wink.gif

you can tip the bike side to side while running to remove air, you can remove the rad cap,and squeeze the return hose to remove the air...

or, you can take it back to the dealer and have him properly prepare yer bike...

I'm down here with ya in the heat and humidity. My busa gets hot also, when sitting in traffic. I just did a coolant flush yesterday, changed to the Muzzy fan, changed my coolant ratio to 80% water/20% coolant then added Redline's Water Wetter. Took it out for a short ride, the cooling fan comes on as normal, but it does seem to cool down faster than before. I'll be keeping a close eye on it for sure for the next few weeks.

Flush it and put new in, also get a Muzzy Fan, mine did the same thing until I changed the fluids and installed the Aluminum fan, never past 1/2 way on the temp gauge now
wink.gif

Took the fairings off yesterday and burped the system. The overflow was a little low so I topped that off too. It is running a little cooler than before. When I install my full exhaust next week I am going to switch to engine ice. It made a noticable difference in my R1. Thanks for the replies. Chris

changed my coolant ratio to 80% water/20%
becarefull there Fly'n....

most coolants dont perform better altering the mix from the standard 50/50,they perform LESS, if they did work better, they(coolant manufactures) would have you mix it that way to make more money....

hope it works for ya....

From my experience in building cars, water has ALWAYS cooled better than coolant. But it DOES not protect from corosion or rust build up. It will actually cause more corosion and rust if you run too much water.

I live in Florida as well. Last summer I went light to light for almost an hour in tampa and it never got over the center line. I assume yours shouldnt either. Thats on stock fan and nothing added to coolant.

your lucky then goofy, i live in melbourne area (FL) and stop and go is hell. never overheats, but them FANS ARE ALWAYS KICKIN'! anybody else running "WATER WETTER?" by redline. engine ice is too expensive to run in your entire cooling system..... is redline equal to it?
rock.gif

i work in a suzuki dealer--we are currently receiving hayabusa with air in the system -simply take it to your service department and have them "burp" the cooling system --they would be a really lame shop to charge for this:;):

I have a mid year 99 busa and living in Thailand. I have just took the bike in to do some paint job. While the bike was there, I took them to do some servicing. They have just informed that the bike is stalling when the temp gauge reach only half way. It has not happened before even when I am at a traffic light.

Some of the speculation was:

- maybe the fuel pump has not been replace. Does the fuel pump has anything to do with it?
- maybe the cam chain tension has not been replace. Does this has anything to do with the heat?
- My assumption is that it is sitting in the shop and not running outside.

Help.

Change the fan, it worth the cost and time, special when you think what it would cost if you don't and things go bad. I have the muzzy fan and it does move a lot more air. I would about 20% more, as far as spending a few extra bucks to put in the engine ice come on, a few bucks is nothing compard to sitting on the side of the road waiting for your bike to cool down. Just do it.
Bike should operate near or just below the half way mark.

Mine will go about half way then stay there - wont drop untill im going again. Big motor-big rad - little fan is just enough and theres no room for anything bigger.

pat
2cents

<!--EDIT|Black&amp;Bluebusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120311240 -->

Back