Cooling fan problem.

motomc1

Registered
Just picked up my 06 busa Monday (4000 miles). PC3, Yoshimura 4 into 1 and stock air filter. Hot here in San Antonio. Bike sat ideling as I was adjusting the idle. The temp guage went into the red...the red light came on...and you could hear the water boiling. Fan never came on. any ideas? thks

Cooling fan relay located by fuse box under left lower dash panel($27), temp sensor, screws into left side of radiator. Also check to make sure its not a hose it the way of the fan blades since you just had it worked on.

Thanks S-R Racing. M43, lol. I would have liked an 08 (didn't want to spend that much cash on a second bike), but have owned an 03,04and 05 with no problems. I really didn't need another bike, but I actually got a pretty good deal on it considering the pipe and so forth were on it. I knew I would buy one eventually! So Monday I did!

Well, first, you are riding around in Texas. If someone looked at your jacket, it is probably smoking from the heat.

Seriously, I've had an 05 since 05 and have ridden on horribly hot days. The temp never moves past the middle. You definitely need to address this issue.

some simple checks are needed.. (and you can do it with the bike cold..)

Fuse check first..
find the temp sensor and short the two leads together.. see if fan fires off (key on/engine off)

if fan does not fire, you need to get a finger on the relay to see if it is "clicking"

if no click, check sensor wires for voltage ,

if typical fan sensor, one leg will be hot, the other ground.. (the sensor grounds the relay)

if relay clicks, you need to check fan leads for ground and voltage.. (again one lead is 12V the other ground) could be the relay is live but fan power to relay is failed.. (2 power sources)

shade tree method (chainsaw and fire axe method)
check fuses..
short fan relay temp sensor with jumper wire (leave in place)
replace relay
replace fan
then find voltmeter and see where power quit :laugh:

Well...I ran a wire directly from the battery to the fan and the fan didn't come on at all....Guess I need another fan...

Back