running 100 Octane

It was my understanding that the measure of octane was it's ability to resist ignition.

Normally the only reason you go to a higher octane is if you hear knocking. Or, in high-performance engines where you absolutely MUST prevent detonation.

I tried Supreme, and didn't notice a difference after 3 tanks. To each his own.

I forgot about this post..hehehe.

I run 91 octane now in my built turbo motor and have not had any problems...Irronically (sp?) I was running Sunoco 100 when I blew my engine on the Dyno..I guess 14#'s of boost and a A/F of 15.4:1 was too much for the 100 to manage
smile.gif

In Denver 100 Octane runs about $4.50/gal

So Pro's You get to say your running Aviation Fuel.
Just remember never to use real AV Gas (either 100 or 100LL) in any car or bike with a catalytic converter, platinum plugs or an O2 sensor. The high lead levels will sponge up the cats, foul the plugs and crap out the O2 sensor.

Saw a lot of that happen out in the bush while I used to fly airborne mineral survey with the tourists in petrol 4x4s.

Most of the roadhouses in the deep bush only sold diesel and AV Gas because the locals couldn’t sniff it. Something about the way AV is produced means you cant get off on it.

Just an ugly little fact I learnt in outback life.

Cheers
Ross

<!--EDIT|Rosco
Reason for Edit: None given...|1093646230 -->

I recently found a gas station that sells 100 Octane race gas (un-leaded). After 2 tankfuls I feel like I never want to go back to 91. The bike runs awesome and seems to run/idle smoother with the higher octane. I am not running a turbo and only occasionally run a small dry shot....

I was wondering if there is any long term negative effects of running the higher octane other than the thinning of the wallet $3.75/gallon
Have to laugh at the fact our garbage pump gas is now $3.75/gal....2022.

We use to have 93 octane at pumps here in Canada good luck finding 93 now I have to run 91 octane and Av gas 50/50 mixed.... we have no e85 either it’s pathetic really. Av gas is only 2.12L though thank god.

Back