running 100 Octane

5280Busa

Registered
I recently found a gas station that sells 100 Octane race gas (un-leaded). After 2 tankfuls I feel like I never want to go back to 91. The bike runs awesome and seems to run/idle smoother with the higher octane. I am not running a turbo and only occasionally run a small dry shot....

I was wondering if there is any long term negative effects of running the higher octane other than the thinning of the wallet $3.75/gallon

Depending on the state of tune of your engine, it may be beneficial or not. Octane SLOWS combustion. 100 Octane in a stock Busa engine is overkill and can slow combustion to a point of slight-but-measurable power loss. Each engine requires "X" amount of Octane for proper operation. ANY MORE Octane than that amount further slows combustion and lightens the wallet unnecessarily but I am not aware of any other negative long-term effects from using higher-than-needed Octane. Suzuki tells us that 87 Octane is the "X" amount required for the Busa and dyno tests have supported their claim. In your case with nitrous, the higher Octane gives an added measure of protection against preignition and/or detonation. Preignition (pinging) is relatively harmless but detonation will quickly kill an engine. So, if your engine is stock and in good condition, 87 will work fine but 100 is extra insurance during those impromptu nitrous blasts. There are some other variables involved in Octane requirements (even for stock engines) such as carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, ignition timing, ambient temperature, etc., that could require higher than 87 to prevent preignition and/or detonation. I would say that you are okay as long as you can afford 100 but it is does NOTHING for a stock engine in good condition.    
thumbs-up.gif

I am thinking you are prolly experiancing Phantom power gains.  I used to be part of the Octane=Power crowd but I am learning slowly that this may not be the case.  

So Pro's You get to say your running Aviation Fuel.

Con's your just lightening your wallet.

BUT!!! You are in my home state, and the air is a lot thinner up there. So I am wondering if maybe blending a gallon of AV-Gas with a tank of Super Unleaded might actually help. I also know that Colorado fuel is oxygenated so you maybe you are going to see some performance improvement...

I know when I lived in Ft. Collins I used to put a couple gallons of Aviation in with a couple gallons of Premium Unleaded. It did seem to make the 750 feel a bit more punchy, but my gas milage would drop to just above nothing... Never could figure that one out...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1079706093 -->

Oh and remember Suzukis language when describing fuel requirements says "At Least" 87 octane I believe. So TIFWIW.

Depending on the state of tune of your engine, it may be beneficial or not. Octane SLOWS combustion. 100 Octane in a stock Busa engine is overkill and can slow combustion to a point of slight-but-measurable power loss. Each engine requires "X" amount of Octane for proper operation. ANY MORE Octane than that amount further slows combustion and lightens the wallet unnecessarily but I am not aware of any other negative long-term effects from using higher-than-needed Octane. Suzuki tells us that 87 Octane is the "X" amount required for the Busa and dyno tests have supported their claim. In your case with nitrous, the higher Octane gives an added measure of protection against preignition and/or detonation. Preignition (pinging) is relatively harmless but detonation will quickly kill an engine. So, if your engine is stock and in good condition, 87 will work fine but 100 is extra insurance during those impromptu nitrous blasts. There are some other variables involved in Octane requirements (even for stock engines) such as carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, ignition timing, ambient temperature, etc., that could require higher than 87 to prevent preignition and/or detonation. I would say that you are okay as long as you can afford 100 but it is does NOTHING for a stock engine in good condition.    
thumbs-up.gif
That says it all.

TAZEONE - Remember each engine has it's own Octane requirements ("X" amount). I don't know if you're referring to a 600, 750, or 1000 GSXR, and I'm not familiar with their engine specs but it could be because of many design differences that require higher Octane--combustion chamber design, compression, valve timing, ignition advance, thermal transfer properties, any combination of these, and/or other influencing factors. My point is that Suzuki tested and considered all factors when they specified "X" amount for that engine just as they did for the Busa. Did that make sense?  
smile.gif

dang that was a excellent read
smile.gif
Thanks Warbaby!

So I've always run 93 in my tank but you are saying that I should try 87 in my busa? I have a yosh full exhaust on mine and do notice some backfiring at times when I back off the throttle, could a lower octane gas help with this?

Aw shucks...thanks Mr. Zuk.
tounge.gif
I can't imagine a reason for 93 to cause backfiring. I would be exploring other causes of backfiring such as air/fuel mapping, timing, and on to possible mechanical causes. If you want to try a conservative approach to Octane reduction, slid down to 90 or 89 before trying 87 and see how it runs. I run 87 all the time and mine is a snappy, happy motor!
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|WarBaby
Reason for Edit: "A dyslexic moment while typing."|1079725572 -->

stock motor busa:
100 octane fuel:

pro - you feel better
con - go slower, foul plugs quicker, carbon buildup on cylinder heads and valves, shall I continue?
rock.gif

I just saw the dry-shot mention... good for running alot of nitrus or alot of boost.

<!--EDIT|cache
Reason for Edit: None given...|1079727334 -->

Thanks everyone for the responses and information...good to know. My strategy was to run the 100 on track days with the nitrous but other than that , the $3.75/gal the advice from the veterans says run pump gas.

I am intrigued by War Baby's comment on running 87. In Denver we have 91, 87, and 85. I might run the 87 for tank full and see if I notice a difference on that end...

Thanks again everyone!!!

Run VP Racing MR9. It's 87 octane and there is nothing better. A friend runs nitrous and on the Dyno with the VP gas it made 11 MORE HP!! Just by filling the tank. Here it's around 16 to 20 bucks a gallon. Worth it though.
cool.gif

I run 87 always even at altitude (6000 ft.) with no detonation probs. Power is just as good as Premium and maybe better. Used to run 92 but tested the theory about running as low octane as possible without pinging. It works and I save money. My engine is stock inside with race pipe, Race filter, small box mod and remap. It is a fire breather on 87.

Hmmm... anyone know what I should be running on a 1999 Suzuki SV650? I usually run premium, but would it be better if I run 89 or 87?

Try a tank full 1 octane down at a time if you wnat to drop the octane rating. if it is running well don't worry about it.

Would not running 87 and adding 104+ boost or any other octane booster be better than paying 3.75
rock.gif
Only Vehicle I seen using 100 octane was a Ferrari Enzo and it was @5 a gallon... Second they say min 87 you can use 87, 89,91,92,93,94... but unless you get a noticable feel out of more than 87 why use it... Also who is best as far as gas goes Amaco, BP,  Shell, Citgo, Exxon, Sunoco(Only place seen 94 at) etc...

Also should try 3 to 5 tank fulls or 87 vs 89 vs 90 vs 91 etc... to actually notice anything, check mpg, feel of bike, sound of it. If you cannot see here feel anything then why waste money on higher octane, when it runs, feels, and sounds same???

<!--EDIT|Heavy Metal
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091708210 -->

Back