RPM's

ddornfes

Registered
I bought an 03 Pumpkin 2 weeks ago and already put 800 miles on the bike. I was wondering what is the best RPM range for driving in the lower gears. I seem to upshift too soon and lug the engine when I need a little acceleration. Example. If I'm going 30mph, should I be in 5th gear pulling 2500 rpm or should I go to lower gears.  In other words, what is the best RPM range for street driving.  2K, 3K, 4K or higher.  I want to balance MPG and wear on the engine verses performance.

In residential I'm usually in 3rd gear, 30-40 MPH. Less RPMs than 2nd and quieter so as not to alarm parents.
smile.gif

40-50 in 4th, 50-60 5th. Just use the 10 MPH/gear guideline for puttering around.

I always use a rule of thirds:

Bottom 3rd of the rev range has no power and lugs the motor (1k-4k RPM), so stay away
Middle 3rd is for good clean fun, fuel economy, and long engine life (4k-7k RPM)
top 3rd is for kicking a$$ (7-10+k RPM).

Eric

and dont forget that sometimes its a good thing to stay up on the R's some around traffic in case ya need to use the power of the bike to find a safe place to be on the road

i like to be above 4000 usually

I keep the throttle pinned and shift when the rev limiter cuts the power momentarily.

In residential I'm usually in 3rd gear, 30-40 MPH. Less RPMs than 2nd and quieter so as not to alarm parents.  
smile.gif

40-50 in 4th, 50-60 5th. Just use the 10 MPH/gear guideline for puttering around.
I do this also. On the freeway or a more open road I'm closer to the 3ds rule.

First 3 gears in residential or in traffic, 3,000 to 4,000. Makes everybody HAPPY  
thumb_up.gif

beerchug.gif

I would guess at >3k when you're loafing around... remember the busa isn't a cruiser, car, harley, tractor, or diesel truck. These engines like revs. As far as wear... I don't think it matters much. I ride mine at much higher revs and run it for land speed racing which is alot of strain and haven't seen any wear issues.

I try to never let it drop under 3000 except for first gear. 3000-4500 for most general riding. From there up for everything else.

Back