Rough Runner

mucky micky

Registered
Here's one for you keen mechanics and enthusiasts out there.
As the weather has changed recently I thought ide have my first run out since last Sept but to my surprise my pride and joy didn't like the idea. Started sort of ok but didn't like the revs, a few pops n bangs, also didn't want to pull away easily and stalled at the first chance.
Two and half year old with 6k on the clock.... Any help would be appreciated?

Well, I'm no mechanic, but going under the pretense of what could possibly change on the bike since September, I would say
one thing to check would be water in the gas tank. Unless your garage is a constant temperature all winter, it's possible you got
condensation that collected in the tank. The problem also sounds like it could be a timing issue, but I can't think of anything
that could cause that under the circumstances. If you have open ram air scoops, check your airbox to make sure the mice didn't build
a nest in there over the winter.
BB

I concur with BB
Did you treat your fuel before putting it away? If so, how?
Sounds like bad fuel to me.

Sounds like poop gas, if you didn't put stabilizer in gas over winter it's probably no good. Dump it, run fresh stuff through to purge rails and fill it full with some mild injector cleaner additive.

Well ile start with checking the plugs, Not sure about the condensation as my garages is heated and the boiler is in there too. There has been fuel sitting in there all winter so ile drain that too. Do you think the injectors could be clogged ?

just run a fresh tank of fuel through it with sea foam in it...will smoke some but will be right as rain fast.

Well ile start with checking the plugs, Not sure about the condensation as my garages is heated and the boiler is in there too. There has been fuel sitting in there all winter so ile drain that too. Do you think the injectors could be clogged ?

So?
Did you put stabilizer in your fuel?
Forget the plugs.

Nope! nothing in the fuel, parked up and cleaned......

Not sure what that means but you can't necessarily see that anything is wrong with the fuel.
You just need to replace it and put some seafoam or fuel stabilizer in it to get that running through the rest of the system.
This is just step one.
What steps have you taken up to this point exactly?

I agree with what the guys said about flushing and putting new gas in it, that's the best place to start.
I think checking the plugs is a waste of your time.
Let us know what clears the problem, I am curious to know.
Thanks and good luck.
BB

Up to now I have drained the tank, ordered some sea foam and will pick some fresh fuel up tomorrow.
I will let you know the results.
Out of interest how long does this foam take? do I just let it tick over as it wasn't very keen to rev very high or even pull away smooth?

mucky
Not sure if you know but the seafoam is a clear liquid.
k2-_d38c39b3-5533-449d-8039-19a5ad64aaf5.v1.jpg

If you are purchasing the white bottle with the red print on it I would probably pour 1/4 to 1/3 of the bottle to the fuel tank right before filling the tank with supreme fuel.
Start the bike let it run for a minute or two and see how it responds to constant 2500 rpm. If that seems ok try a little higher.
If it doesn't sound right it might take some more time for the seafoam to do it's thing.
If it sounds fine try taking it for a calm run.
If the issue is indeed more serious than bad fuel you can proceed to troubleshoot further.
Even if the issue is something else, this process of removing the fuel, adding seafood and new fuel is still necessary so you haven't wasted your time and money.
One step at a time though.

Seafoam or Techron fuel system cleaner and a nice long ride should clear your problems up.

I don't know where you are located but WalMart carries both of those products.

Well I think the Sea foam did the trick..... had a short run last night and will have a long run tomorrow and use all the tank!!
Thanks for all your help.

Just so you all know this engine is in a kit car and turbo'd stage two race spec 350 bhp and 550kg GOES LIKE HELL!!!

Back