locking up when pulling away

pete_burnett

Registered
I bought my first Busa a couple of months ago - an original 1999 full power model. the only modifications are a pair of yoshimura end cans, otherwise standard

When i pull away and rev the engine over around 5000 revs the bike locks up (a 'mechanical' clunk) and stalls. it immediately frees off and i can start the engine and pull away normally (as long as i keep it under around 5000 revs)

other than that it starts and runs perfectly.

any ideas?

much appreciated

Does it run fine (5000 & Above) once you get moving? If this only happens when you pull off I would bet on a clutch issue, burned discs or worn springs maybe.

Hi - yes it runs perfectly other than just when pulling away. Thanks for this - how long should a clutch last on one of these - mine has done 30k miles

cheers

Unrestricted :thumbsup:

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

Not exactly sure from your description. Your best bet is to take that baby to a qualified mechanic. Cam Chain Tensioner was a known issue with early models :dunno:

Make sure that rear wheel is totally secure and tight.
Almost sounds like a bearing or sprocket issue.
Beyond that get the clutch assembly checked out.

i have had a new tyre fitted by a garage which has not changed anything so maybe the spindle was tight.

Oddly enough it went in at the same time for some new swinging arm bearings as there was some play in the arm. They found that the swinging arm itself had 2 x 3 inch hairline cracks along the centre, one either side running parallel to the spindle so i had to have a new arm fitted. They had never heard of this happening before........

relevant??

You said when you take off and reach 5K R.P.M.s your bike dies and you have to start the engine. Is that right ?

no - if i am stopped and about to pull away, and if i rev over 4-5000 and slip the clutch to pull away the bike locks up immediately - a physical 'clunk' and stalls. it immediately frees up and can be started and pull away (below 4 - 5000 revs)

make sense?

cheers

Yes it does. The experts can correct me, but the Busa does not have a slipper clutch. The clutch by design does exactly what you're talking about. Why the bikes not burning out under those conditions and stalling is beyond my understanding.

Try using a higher gear....a Busa can easily pull away from stationary in 4th if needs be.
Hows the clutch action, smooth or jerky.
Slipper clutches work to match low engine speed to higher wheel speeds so shouldn't be at fault.
Its almost as if something inside the gearbox can't handle the torque as you feed the clutch in.
If you have a rear paddock stand try seeing what happens and take the front sprocket cover off to make sure its not moving about.

Clutch Modification, Billet, Suzuki Hayabusa - Brock * Schnitz Motorsports Inc

The Brock's Performance Clutch Mod assembly disables the factory Suzuki back-torque cam assembly (sometimes mistakenly known as a "slipper clutch"). This allows the rider to perform a smooth launch as opposed to the grab-n-jerk associated with trying to launch a stock machine from a dead stop.

This kit includes shim spacers to slightly increase clutch pressure without causing chatter or a lack of top end speed.

Brock's idea of a Clutch Mod...If every hundredth of a second (and smallest detail!) counts in your world also, this is the Clutch Mod for you! Thoroughly tested in some of the highest power bikes in the country, this mod attacks the rotating mass equation in the Hayabusa clutch area. The additional energy no longer required to rotate the weight of a standard Clutch Mod can now be used to push the bike forward...quicker!

Back