Rookie mistake...or?

BIGSMOOTHH

Donating Member
Registered
Ok....who does the full on wash and who just wipes? I washed my bike last weekend (after I did the Buell peg mods, moved the brake and gearshift levers, and installed the rear seat and grab bar). Now it seems my baby has developed a wicked shimmy at about 4k RPM....and it seems shes lost a bit o power. Did I wet something that I need to dry?

I used to wash my Interceptor with no probs....even hosed out inside the pipes....lol.

Thanks for any tips...

I wash mine once a week. I use a water hose. I don't spray under the seat or down the ram air tubes or around the hump. I don't want to get any more water down on the battery and ecu that necessary. No probs here.

Don

not sure
just washed mine. hosed everything. no problens. good luck

Ahhh... you "hosed out your pipes" ??  whoa!  thats a no no... dont spray water down your exhaust or your intake... bad things happen when you do that...

Washing the bike is fine.. just like these guys said but dont spray water in the ram air ducts next to the head light or the exhaust or under the seat. You only need the water to wet it down and rinse it off...

<!--EDIT|TSgt
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152487581 -->

Full on wash here too... minus the water injection to the intake and exhaust...
rock.gif

I never use water. Too many horror stories about this and that, electrical problems, steam from the engine warping the instrument panel, etc.

I only use S-100 bike wash, and Plexus on the wind screen.

P.

NOOOO....I didnt run water down my babys pipes....that was on my old interceptor. I gave the busa a normal wash. Im taking her to the dealer tomorrow....lol...30 day warranty....day 28 today. Haha on them. Its vibrating badly and has a rattle and loss of power. Dont know what to think right now....

i never spray running water on mine. water gets in all the little crevices and next thing you know you have rust forming. not to mention possible electrical problems. i just wipe mine with a wet rag. its not like the dirt is caked on it.

forgot to mention there's a cleaner called "Dissolve It" its organic and has citris oils and makes grease run and hide. ive used it on my paint also but i make sure to wipe it off with soap and and wet rags. i use it mostly to wipe the grease of the rear rim from slinging off the chain

I think I'll use the wet rags only to wash mine... it needs a wash from all the fingerprints. My car hasn't been washed in over a year... but my bike will get different treatment than that thing!

What do you guys use/suggest as a good polish? I want my beeotch shiny!

you may have spryed enough water up the intake tubes to get some in the airbox....perhaps the air filter got wet?
it's unlikely...but possible I suppose.

if they discover it's water on the electronics....have them be specific and then go get some dielectric grease to spread on. It's usually clear does the job of keeping moisture out.

they can be rode in the rain.
everything gets wet when on the freeway in the rain.

I don't think your wash did anything to your bike. Even if you got some on some electrics, it's long dried by now.

I wash mine gently with a hose when it gets dirty enough. I've never had a problem. Probably should wait a half day if you get water around the engine. Like they said, the steam could warp something if you run it while it's wet inside.

I store mine inside with a tarp over it, so it doesn't attract dust. I find that with the battery tender on, it really collects dust. Something to do with grounding it, I suspect, and so the tarp.

I remove the plastics and wash in my bathtub. Tried a full wash and didnt feel comfortable doing that. With the plastics off you can clean the rest of the bike and check for any abnormalities.

I plan on doing this once in 6 months. The rest of the time will be wet-towel and soap wash...

Only MicroFiber and Honda Pro-Shine and Polish since new. She's been wet twice.
thumbs-up.gif
Looks freaking great.

full wash. I start with the hose in the exhaust pipe for about 5 minutes. Then I run it in the ram air tubes for about 2 mins each.
About the time the tow truck comes Im finished.
tounge.gif

Back