Rookie in trouble

Busa Rocket

Registered
I just recieved my new undertail and can't quite figure out the trick to removing the old rear fender.  Can some one give me the the magic formula??  Thanks
1zhelp.gif

remove the front seat
remove the rear seat
remove the rear grab bar
notice the plastic rivets....you will need to be gentle here, push in the center of each one with the end of an allen wrench. they go in about 1/8 inch then with your fingernail lift up on the outer flange.
there are 6 in the underside of the tail and two just under the back seat holding a bridge across the plastic.
use your fingernail to remove the small black plastic caps on the bungee posts to reveal an allen head.
remove the front two bungee posts.
there are two phillips head screws inside of two rubber boots under the back seat , one on either side. remove the screws.
of course remove the fairing screws on either side
remove the two phillips head screws that hold the rear seat locking mechanism.
use both hands to spread the tail apart at the bridge.
voila

remove the two phillips head screws that hold the rear seat locking mechanism.[/QUOTE]

JUST MAKE SURE THAT IF YOU DISCONNECT THE CABLE FROM THE LOCK ASSEMBLY YOU PUT IT BACK ON BEFORE YOU PUT THE BACK SEAT BACK ON. IT HAS HAPPENED IN THE PAST JUST ASK ONE OF THE OTHER MEMBERS.

I am a-feared of these undertails!..but I ssuspect I will take it on before next season.

Thinker
face7.gif

Kerberos,

I think he was inquiring about the mug flap portion...And my suggestion would be to cut it or just rip it off depending on how much you need to remove...I did it on a zx9r and did not have to remove the complete section just had to cut about half of it off...Have not done it on the "Busa"...

When i put my undertail on I cut the fender right behind the battery, drilled two holes in the section that was left and used nylon zip ties and tied it to the aluminum cross bar right there. Was a little nervous when I started cutting on stuff with the dremel but it turned out nice. Just take your time, no problem.

depending on the underail...you can remove the entire stock undertail and most aftermarkets come with a new "trunk" space.....

Back