Rode an 05 R1 Raven

fstAZfk

Donating Member
Registered
You may remember a while back i was looking for opinions on the Buells for a buddy who was looking to make a purchase. Well he read what was posted here and decided to go with the R1 instead. Well he gutted and repacked his stock pipes ( which sound freakin awesome ) and he wanted to hear what they sounded like. So he let me take it down the road and back. Just a quick jaunt to about 7 or 8KRPMS turned around and same back. Let me tell you, that bike is freakin light as hell. It was scarey light. I was literally uncomfortable turning it around cuz i thought i was gonna fall over. Gives me an understanding as to why they say the 6/7's/and 1k's are "flickable". The busa feels heavy and well balanced. The R1 felt light and not so well balanced. ( which i think is a result of getting directly off the Busa and hopping on the R1 ) Its a beautiful bike and i'd love to have one, but i think i'd probably kill myself!!!

How did it accelerate compared to the busa? It has been said that the '05 r-1 is pretty close if you can keep the front tire on the ground...

I was literally uncomfortable turning it around cuz i thought i was gonna fall over. The R1 felt light and not so well balanced.
No, it's the stock steering dampner that just sucks on them. They feel very wobbly at low speeds. 2 of my buddies just got '04's and I've ridden them both. They both feel wobbly at low speeds and in turns they don't feel solid. Once you replace the stock dampner it should alleviate the concerns with balance. Overall that's the ONLY think I didn't like about them.

Also, the acceleration of the R-1?? Well, one buddy who is an excellent rider got smoked by a new '05 Gixxer 750 , not once but 4 times they tried.......just to be sure. Another friend just got the '05 Gixxer 1K, but he's kinda a newbie still. So that race will have to wait a season or so. He had him by 30+ Feet he said in a matter of seconds each time. They also both said the R1 won't power wheelie up til 6K rpm+.

<!--EDIT|Aceshigh
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122331771 -->

R1's and Ducati's are just to light. I sat on my friends and I felt unsafe. Asked me if I wanted to ride and try and I told them i'll pass. The Big fat beast makes me fel alot more comfy...., but the Ducati is pretty....If that matters....

I let my friend ride my 2004 R1 all the time when he comes out riding with me on the Busa. (His Harley can't keep up). We have lined them up quite a few times form 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and sixth gear rolls. The R1 will stay about 1-2 bike lengths behind the Busa the entire time. Only around 5th gear does the busa start to gain any real ground. Basically it all comes down to who had the jump from the start.

Back