Raced an 06' r1 tonight

JDookie

Registered
Well, tonight was fun. I had the pleasure of beating an 06' R1, which had exhaust and a pc (like me).

We ran from a second gear roll around 70mph, and ran all the way out to the speed limiters. (Please keep in mind that was done under supervision of the local authorities on a closed roadway).

The owner of the R1 happens to be one of my good friends, and he's been talking a little smack lately about how he *thought* he could take me. Well, after tonight, that will never happen again.

He actually took me by about a half a bike from the start, and hung there until around 5th gear which is when I started coming around him, and by the time I switched into 6th, I was steadily walking away.

All in all, I got scared for a moment, but once I was in 5th it was all Suzuki torque baby!!

I'm thinking about getting a TRE of some kind to gain some of that midrange that I'm lacking, and could maybe take the R1 immediately from the punch. I'm looking at a JSD-3 right now, but want to do more research before I just run out and order one.

<!--EDIT|JDookie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151564628 -->

Nice ... I have a question though. What's the difference in weight between you 2?

Not sure about the bikes, but I'm 30lbs heavier than he is, and about 3 or 4 inches taller too. If we would have swapped bikes it would have been a massacre.

that '06 R-1 is garbage dude! I walked my boy on his with my girl on the back from 3rd to 5th-we both agreed to let off at 150, n i got there waaaaay before he did! I ran him again by myself-bro, I couldnt even hear his motor after 3rd! I walked him by 10 lengths before I even shifted....but I have a lotta goodies too, his was stock. If you wana wup on him sumptin fierce, take a look at my mods-they're pretty cheap exc. the pipes, n easy to put on!

good luck bro:)

what is JSD-3
rock.gif

You should have pulled him harder from the start than top end. He must have just hit the throttle hard earlier. Congrats on your win
thumbs-up.gif

The R1 had race baffles and a gutted cat. with a custom tune for the pc3usb. His bike walks stock R1's like they're sitting still. Keep in mind that my bike only has 450 miles on it, which is still breaking in, and his has well over 1,000 and running a full synthetic oil too.

I'm currently building a 1397 complete with ported head, cams, etc. This is going to be put in some time within the next month or so, so I'm not worried. I basically wanted to get a baseline run, and prove that I could beat him stock.

LABusa,
We were way out on 90 by venetian isles. I'm a firefighter and he's a cop. We had our fellow cop buddies close the street for us at both ends.
cool.gif
Nobody could come in or out while we made our quick little pass.
I was going to pass by Hanes to see what was up, but heard that the National Guard ran everybody out of there pretty quick last night.
sad.gif

...I'm a firefighter and he's a cop. We had our fellow cop buddies close the street for us at both ends.
cool.gif
Nobody could come in or out while we made our quick little pass.
I was going to pass by Hanes to see what was up, but heard that the National Guard ran everybody out of there pretty quick last night.
sad.gif
Nice to have friends in the LE business.

that '06 R-1 is garbage dude! I walked my boy on his with my girl on the back from 3rd to 5th-we both agreed to let off at 150, n i got there waaaaay before he did! I ran him again by myself-bro, I couldnt even hear his motor after 3rd! I walked him by 10 lengths before I even shifted....but I have a lotta goodies too, his was stock. If you wana wup on him sumptin fierce, take a look at my mods-they're pretty cheap exc. the pipes, n easy to put on!

good luck bro:)
All else aside, that 16/42 set-up you have helps tremendoulsy.

I agree, taller gearing would have helped a lot.

Something else I am realizing now is that I had the wrong map in the bike. I ordered my pc with the correct map for a TiForce SUMO pipe, and when I took a look at the map yesterday, it's nothing more than dj's map for a bone stock bike, so needless to say I probably lost power instead of gained power with the new system.
mad.gif

I figure with the correct map, and one tooth down in the front, I should walk alway from him with little to no effort.
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|JDookie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151776116 -->

what is JSD-3
rock.gif
JSD-3 is a Timing Retard Eliminator (TRE), and speed limit remover. Well, there's actually no such thing as a speed limiter but more of a 6th gear lower rev limit. The JSD-3 is exactly like Ivan's Smart TRE except it's half the price.

Basically, all it does is make the ECU think your bike is always in 5th gear, which is the only gear that has full timing *and* a normal rev limiter.

There's mixed reviews on products like this, but for only $45 I'll give it a shot and see if I get a little more low end punch. Regardless, it doesn't do anything for all out drag racing because it's only effective from idle to 4,000rpm.

Back