Dump my R6 for an R1???

07R6R

Registered
Knock some "real" sense into me. He essentially wants to trade my bike and my iPad 3 for his R1.

I have an 06 R6r with 16K. No performance mods. All stock. I was about to drop money on a full exhaust and PCV. No accidents.

This gentleman has an 06 R1 with 10K. No performance mods, but has a PCV. Says the previous owner slid on sand at 5-10mph (hence the little rash on the right side) No accidents.

I don't race, although I like to ride at speed a lot. I ride with a lot of R1's and other 1000cc bikes and I'm usually the one falling behind. This will be my daily driver around town. In all honesty I don't need the extra 400cc's, but with you guys that ride at 1300cc is it something worth jumping up to? (I'm trying to work up to a busa!!)

The thing that sucks is I just literally changed my oil yesterday, which would have been nice to keep for the R1 if I decide to trade.

My bike:

AvKRh.png

His bike:

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

Thoughts?

NADA shows about the same value between the bikes, but with his being rashed, it's obviously not worth as much.

You may trade him straight up since the plastics are scratched but definately dont give him your bike and ipad

It doesn't say anything about the mileage though. There's a 6K difference. Does that matter at all in this situation?

hell no I wouldnt giv him an ipad in trade. the R6 is a much better selling and more popular bike anyway. its probably the most ridden bike on the planet. and if his has been laid down they he's smokn crack. tell him ull trade straight up after he fixes the panels. other then that tell him to go pound sand. 6k miles isnt gonna make a rats ass bit of difference in the value of either.

I'm digging the plastic bag mod. Don't see that often. I'd trade based strictly on that.

I wouldn't trade a perfect bike for a dropped one :whistle:

I couldn't agree more -- in my opinion your bike is far more valuable than his. He should be offering you cash in addition to his bike for yours.

I've see some nasty things happen to bikes that fall at 5-10mph. Not all of them are clearly apparent from the plastics. YMMV, but I would imagine that as the story of the drop is now 3rd hand, it's also possible that 5-10 mph was really 10-15mph. Without a complete list of things that were broke/fixed, I'd be very cautious. On the other hand, after seeing the limited amt of damage to raydog's bike after his recent get off at the track, it is also possible to drop a bike at high speed and have the sliders take the bulk of the damage.

Buyer beware -- If you don't know those bikes inside and out, get someone who does to look it over for you.

--Sky

Thank you for your input guys.

Part of me is like, "Why is he wanting my bike??" "What's wrong with his?"

I'd probably have a heart attack if I brought home a lemon, when I have a perfectly running bike.

I think I'm just hell bent on how my buddies R1 sounds, with of course the extra torque his has. I guess a new exhaust and gearing change would do the trick!

If that's the only damage to the R1 I'd jump on a straight trade in a heart beat. If you are into "Bling" you may want to keep the R6 but that R1 is a great ride and a few scratches don't bother me at all.

A straight trade is the only thing I would consider, keep your Ipad. The extra 400cc is worth a few light scratches to me but i guess it depends on how many other items got dinged in the drop like bar ends, mirors, pegs and the like.

I agree with Tuf, Wait till you are loaded with overnight gear and going up a 3 mile hill, you won't even have to downshift an R-1. They are fine motorcycles. Your "recent oil change", a small superficial trauma mark and mileage differences are irrelevant. The 1000 Yamaha is one of the top of the heap motorcycles of the world. Raydog

(ps the plastic bag suspension trick really helps with compression damping)

You could price the Raven's plastics through Justin and see what it would cost you to fix it. But I think you're ready for a Bus

Back