04 R1

super851

Registered
When on a ride yesterday with a number of friends and I have a question. First of all my friend owns an 04 R1 with PCIII and I don't now of anything else but the bike appears stock, he ways 200lbs with gear. I have an 01 Busa with HMF High Mount, PCII, BMC Race Air Filter and an ATRE. I weigh 250 in gear, bottom line is we did a role on from 2nd gear, 4th gear is when he went around me and gained 5 bike lengths. I started to walk him down when we hit 173 (GPS) but ran out of road. The only thing that I noticed on my bike was that my choke was on. Is this normal for an R1 to pull like that and will the choke being on make a diff on how my bike will get to speed and top end. Thanks for any and alll feed back.

"Choke" is not really a choke on a busa, just a high idle. won't effect performance. Haven't had an R1 of any year spank me, but then there's always a first. I do know first hand that they are handy for cooking cel phones stored in the tail section. Oh yeah- a few unexplained catastrophic engine failures too.

I have a friend with a 01 and 2 friends with 03 R1's and I have never had a problem with them. I have never got to play with the 04's.

super... I presume that the weight might have played a crucial role in the lower gears! Your about 50lbs heavier than you friend... plus the busa is significantly heavier than the R1... So that might be one reason!

I par say dont know exactly how the choke works on the busa... but generally having the choke on while riding, will kill your accelration. Just my .02 but i'm no authority on this subject
blush.gif

If he went around you in 4th, does that mean you pulled ahead when you rolled on in 2nd?

Haven't had an R1 of any year spank me,
laugh.gif
not to make him feel bad or anything. Man check his sprockets. also in cars i dont know bout bikes but every 100 lbs is 10 hp so he has 5 hp on you. What rpm were you at? I think the busa would be at a lower rpm going the same speed in the same gear as a R1, if he were in the meat of his power range and your werent......lunch time

Don't know his sprocket numbers and I pulled about 4 to 6 bikes on him until I hit fourth. I beginning to wonder if the ATRE had something to do with it. I'm a little confussed on how it works. I understand that it makes the bike thinks that it is in 5th gear and by doing that you will be able to tach out 6th gear but if the bike computer adjust fuel and air for each gear that you are in wouldn't your 5th gear map be to rich for 1st thru 4th thus not letting the bike rev as quick as it should?

You can find posts on 04 engine failures on some of the Ya ma's ha forums. Not an epidemic, but seems specific to 04s.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107191623 -->

The choke is just a mechanical idle advance and will not effect performance in any way. Your TRE will not hurt you in what was described either. 50lbs can make a big differerence though. I don't know why people do roll-ons, they prove nothing and are impossible to be accurate. 1/4 mile slaughter him, top speed slaughter him, if he is a better rider and/or has mods you don't know about, he may slaughter you!
smile.gif

I rode with a guy who has a 04 r1...he had a tooth down in the front and 2 up in the back full micron and power commander....he weighed prob 180 to 200 ...me i have an 03 which already makes more power than 02 on down....full bd hindle powercommander and tooth down front....he pulled off in first and i pulled off in second which was a mistake..first gear my busa will just do karate on me and i would have to get out of it...but i still pulled him a little bit but it was dead even through the gears...which surprised me...but im 330 and 6'5.....bike made 182.9 with just pipes and pwcomander...now i have the cam mod done..that made 191.5.....waiting for my heads to come back...should smoke 200 hp with the head job......and don't run the tre's....the shop i bring my bike to has a box full of them...they screw up something cause they use the same line i think with the powercommander....we never could get bikes to run right with them on....

Don't be surprised if a liter bike gets the best of your busa? All the hot liter bikes are now so close in performance to your busa, if your busa farts, you find yourself looking at the liter's tail light!

if you do the 'roll on' stuff especially top gear, the litre will have the advantage due to it being closer to it's power band. i road an 04 r1 home for my nephew and it's got good power and it's a very balanced bike. it didn't feel as forceful or torqy as the bus in first gear and after 150mph but it does have plenty of power. when i was doing 80 mph on his r1 it read,5.5k rpm as appose to 4k rpm for the busa. so even if you weigh the same as the other guy, if you do roll on, his bike will still have the advantage. if the litres were as comfortable as the busa, the r1 would be the one for me. it looks as good as a ducati 999 and has more power for 1/3 of the price. of course, this is only based on my experience on both bikes.

Ridden my brother's '04 R1. They aren't no joke. Lacks balls down low, but they pull real hard up top. With a pipe, stacks and PC3 it made 163rw. Figure the bike weighs 100lbs less, and the rider weighs 50lbs less, well it's hard to argue with power-weight ratios... so long as the liter bike can get to full throttle and not loft the front tire.

Saw a guy take a completely stock '04 R1 with a strap... and go 9.87 @ 147mph.

Back