Rocks on the road

Dutchie

Registered
I'm cruising along Saturday morning just after 9, on my way to meet some buddies for a ride. On the highway keeping a carefull eye on the tach (still in 1st phase break in). Car in front of me suddenly brakes and start swerving all over. Bloody rocks all over the place. So I start doing the slalom. Missed a few but hit one a glancing blow with the front wheel.  
cussing.gif
Peer over the front as well as I could, everything seems OK. Now being totally pissed off I run it right at 5 500 rpm for the next ~3 km to the offramp where I'm meeting the guys. As I slow down for the offramp she gets very heavy to steer. Stop, get off and have a look. 1 cracked front rim, 1 flat tyre with nice big gash in sidewall and 1 scratched bottom, right hand side of the fairing.

All with 244 miles on the clock, my 5th ride on my new bike  
sad.gif

The bad: She is in the shop getting a new front rim & tyre and having the fairing painted.

The good: Everyone kept telling me afterwards how lucky I am that I did not go down - well, the Busa never felt like she was going to. She stayed solid and true, even that last 3 km when I was doing 100 mph on a flat front tyre.

Anyway, this is my excuse why I have not posted a pic in my thread in the New Owners forum.

Dutchie

A pic would have been part of your story, Dutchie. Such is life, everyone has a story.

Your's will have more pages.
wink.gif

Good to have you here to tell.

i know the feelin.....after 160 miles on mine i didnt put the kick stand down as good as i thought - which seems to be a common problem and it tipped over....new left faring and mirror and windscreen....dammitt......

Speaking of the breaking in period, I took my new Busa out tonight and put her first 27 miles on her. I opened her up full throttle several times in several gears and would let her decelerate on her own all the time. Thinking my rings should be sealed pretty good right about now.

Sorry to hear that, Dutchie! Welcome to the board, however, and we look forward to seeing a pic soon!

Thanks guys. Just had a call from the shop and she needs wheel bearings as well. I am impressed that they have tested the rest of the front end (forks, headstock bearings, etc.) and everything else is fine. I doubt the Buell would have fared as well.

Dutchie

damn that sucks... how big of rocks we talking?
rock.gif

Fstbusa - around rugby ball size. Hmm, football in American?

The theory is: The next offramp leads to a dump site so they probably came off the back of a truck - what said truck was doing in the fast lane I don't know.

This just keep getting better: Had another call from the shop. Suzuki South Africa does not have black rims in stock (3 week lead time) but they are willing to pay to get a white one painted?! If I did not know the owner I would think I am being had.

Dutchie

Fstbusa - around rugby ball size. Hmm, football in American?

The theory is: The next offramp leads to a dump site so they probably came off the back of a truck - what said truck was doing in the fast lane I don't know.

This just keep getting better: Had another call from the shop. Suzuki South Africa does not have black rims in stock (3 week lead time) but they are willing to pay to get a white one painted?! If I did not know the owner I would think I am being had.

Dutchie
Don't kid yourself.. I played rugby here in Florida for awhile and those balls are MUCH bigger than American footballs. Us Americans.. imagine hitting cat-size rocks..
A rugby ball is about twice the size of an American football.
smile.gif

si.

sorry to hear about your bike but atleast it was only the tire and rim.

Back