Road Trippin'

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
My hubby, a Harley friend on a Road King and I are planning a trip to Mexico (plans may change at any time) in Spring 2006...

It's a long way off, but I want to know from the veteran long-distance riders what would be essential to do to my bike in preparation for a long trip like this?  Not "change/check the fluids" or "get new tires" stuff...any big things on the Busa that I should plan on upgrading for a long haul?  Or, can I just hop on and go after a good 'once-over' check on the bike?

We're planning on going for long stretches in a single day...

BTW...I've already heard from my fellow travelers, demanding that I swap bikes with them from time to time, but I keep insisting I'll be just fine on my Busa for the entire trip...
tounge.gif
 Damn Harley riders can't keep their grubs off my bike...it's sad...

Michelle,

Here's one link to a very informative site that includes tips for long distant riding. The extensive menu is on the left. I have more that I'll post here later for you.

If that link doesn't work ... use this: http://www.msgroup.org/TIPS.asp

<!--EDIT|sageronin
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090935516 -->

WOW! Now thats a road trip. I haven't made any long tripslike that but, I think I'd put on atleast a gel seat or better, sport touring windscreen and the reaper risers. Also, may wanna add some tire plugs and a GPS unit and an Sri500.

PJ

VaBusa, better check with Doc on that trip....depending on the route you take, the Mexican roads can be HARD on equipment. After much research, Doc took the KTM instead of the busa and was very glad he did. I traveled down baja a few years ago in an old Ford truck, about beat us to death. Beware of the changing roads, that's the real problem. Can go from good pavement to gravel at anytime. Also, beware of the road damage, they just don't have any sense of urgency to fix holes, etc...also, watch for the animals, most of Mexico is free range. You will encounter a cow on the hyway. Busa will make it fine, but the hardley riders better be good mechanics...tell them to take plenty of duct tape and bailing wire....do hit Doc up, he can tell you what you will need to know.
wink.gif

Thanks everyone! I'll wait to hear from Doc too...good info!

The route may change, but I think it's going to be a quick trip in to Mexico...kind of like dipping your foot in the country, then heading back! But, good to know that I should be finding out about the roads ahead of time...

My seat is comfy for me...after riding on a Harley, it's the most comfy seat ever! I don't think I'll need to swap that out...I'm more concerned with the mechanical things on a long trip...I'd never hear the end of it if my poor Busa ends up needing the duct tape!
laugh.gif

Glad I saw this, I am just lurking now-a-days since I am either traveling or riding and rarely on-line...

Anyway, yeah, we rode the Baja from the border in Yuma to Cabo San Lucas and back. We used the back roads mostly which were horrible, but a blast on a dual-sport. First question, where at in Mexico? If the Baja, I can give you a ton of tips. I have not had a bike in the mainland and I have basically just been to the border towns there.

If you rode the Baja, you could do it, just do it SLOW! There are a few places you can open it up, but be very cautious. Our amigos south of the border have some pretty "odd" driving habits in cars that should have been buried decades ago... the road can have trash, animals, and other debris. The "worst" problem we ran into was lack of gasolina. The gov't runs all the gas stations, at least in the Baja, and sometimes they run out of gas, or just plain shut down for no reason. However, clever locals usually sell gas out of their cars and trucks when this happens, but we saw some RVs who were screwed. I was also a bit worried about buying gas out of two liter soda bottles, but hey, it got us home.

The bottom line is to have the trip planned out carefully with someone who has done the route in question. Be PREPARED! I recommend carrying extra gas on board. We each carried an extra 4 L. You should also buy a funnel with a filter in it... if you can not find the item, I will dig up the info. I think they sell it at tractor supply shops, so you can prefilter the fuel.

Personally, I would be a bit worried about taking a Busa, but it could be done, and I have no idea where you are going. If you are going down the Yucatan, it should be pretty easy until you get below Cancun... There are some fairly "unstable" regions in south mexico where you would want to be EXTREMELY cautious....

Let me know where you are going.

Cheers,

Doc

From my experince on just riding i have the gen Mar Risers and a corbin but looking at a gel seat but like normal do a all around check of the bike oil and such take an extra quart with ya mabey but how many miles a day do you plan to ride and what are you used to i put my self through alotta long days of riding around my area before i took out on the open road so i could handle a long day on the bike but mabey this will not be a problem for ya but if you ride easy for half a day and are very wore out then i would consider doing alittle endurance riding training for longer seat time and miles in the day

I think folks have covered the basics (tire sealer, bike inspection, seat, shield, etc), but one thing you don't want to forget is to stow plenty of fluids for drinking.

<!--EDIT|thesnake
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090946783 -->

Mark...you don't want me carrying you pillion on a Busa! I haven't done that yet and don't intend to for a while...you'd likely get left somewhere along the way!
tounge.gif

Doc...I'm awaiting the "flight" plans as I type to see where the two Harley riders are planning on taking me...I really think it's just a "hey, we made it to Mexico" type of plan, so I don't think we'll be going through Mexico for very long. Very much appreciate that info about he gasoline though! Good to know and prepare for...once I get confirmation of the Mexican destination, I'll let you know - THANKS!

the snake - thanks so much for saying that 'cause that's what I always forget about until it's too late...I get home from a long ride and I'm parched, headache, feel miserable...I never realized how dehydrated riding makes you until I took some longer rides...

I've traveled on my Busa for 400+ miles in a single day and I was very pleased with how comfortable I was the entire time, learned some tricks to keep my wrist from hurting (gonna need to invest in a Throttlemeister to help some too)...my seat was comfy, I lean across the tank and rest, then straighten up to stretch some...I don't need risers or the double-bubble; gals seem to fit on the stock bike better than guys; guess it's because I'm shorter! I was incredibly impressed with how comfortable my Busa was on a long ride, and I truly was ready for another few hours of riding, but the Harley riders were hurting...
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

lol-- I forgot my water while heading across southern NM in the heat and I will never make that mistake again!@

It sounds like a great trip-- have fun and be safe!

Doc...they're thinking Monterrey...head in from Texas...

Ever been there?

Quick Thought: Don't know if you have the center stand or not. If not, then be sure to take along a quick stand and plenty of chain lube. Love long trips but I have lost nothing in Mexico that requires me to go there.
laugh.gif

Doc...they're thinking Monterrey...head in from Texas...

Ever been there?
I have never been there, but that is the mainland. It is the third largest city in Mexico. You will need Mexican insurance and a tourist visa 4-sure! You will need to leave a pretty hefty temporary importation import fee. Basically this is a lofty amount of cash as a deposit which you will get back when you return across the border. You can probably find info on all this on the internet. Again, check with someone who knows the route to see about gas availability and road conditions. The route to Cabo had some sections of washed out roads that could have resulting in a bit of scraping and cautious navigation.

I am very curious, why Monterrey??? That is huge city.

Later...

I have been through Monterrey a few years ago. As Doc said the roads tend to deteriorate fast with repairs not as frequent as they should be. But as far as anything else we had no problems blew out a tire on one of the vehicle sized potholes on the Yucatan,in the dark, never changed a tire faster in my life!
laugh.gif
but all in all I would definetly do the trip again, this time on a bike. just gotta take it carefully. I have a bit of an advantage coming from Saskatchewan we have reported some of the worst roads in the country so I have lots of practise dodging pits and critters! as far as the bike, Well I am leaving for Sturgis VIA Yellowstone this weekend, I will let you know if I find anything that needs changing when I get back. we are looking at about 1000-1200 kms per day. so it should be a good test.
biggrin.gif

Michelle you will be fine going into Mexico through Monterey. The roads are in decent shape, and most of them to the Yucitan are major roads. Lot's of the locals think you are either someone important or extremely wealthy since you will be on nice bikes.
The only problems I have ever seen down there is local police are scammers. Have some US currency available and don't break any laws. The price for speeding is based on the one that pulls you over. Also DO watch for livestock on the roads. There aren't many fences down there.
The last thing is make sure your insurance company covers your bike in Mexico. That's the one biggest mistake most people make. Lot's of insurance co's don't.
I love riding down there and I'm sure you will have a blast.
Wayne

Excellent advice Wayne. Be careful of the law! I wonder what the fuzz is driving down there and if they can keep up with a busa? Ohh ya you'll have a HD in tow-- forget that idea.

<!--EDIT|thesnake
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091021979 -->

Wow...you guys are bringing up things I've never even heard of! Import fees?! Hadn't considered insurance issues...

Hrmmm...maybe we'll just skirt Mexico and head further west...maybe dip our feet in the Pacific over trekking in to Mexico!
smile.gif

Really, thanks for all of the info Doc and Wayne...everyone...we've got some hefty planning to do...

I'll have a Visa by then; I'm going to St. Kitts in April 2005 to visit friends, so it'll be my first trip outside the States...sounds easier than Mexico!
laugh.gif

Yeah maybe you can plan around Laguna Seca that year ... make it a dual purpose trip ... see the ocean and ride with the West Coast folks.

Yeah maybe you can plan around Laguna Seca that year ... make it a dual purpose trip ... see the ocean and ride with the West Coast folks.
I would love nothing more, but the Harley riders are loners...they wouldn't go for it...

Maybe I'll just...ummm...get lost along the way!
smile.gif

Hey, DJ...thanks for that link...I've been reading tons of stuff on there...thinking that the Iron Butt award might not be worth it (yeah, they're planning a 1000 mile day...ummm, I'm definitely going to "get lost")
smile.gif

smile.gif

Back