Riser intallation question

efiguero

Registered
With Soupy, or Genmar style risers, is there anything specific to know prior to installing them. I mean is it as simple as removing the stock bolts and putting the risers in place and putting the bolts back in? Once the bolts are removed are the forks gonna come shooting up? Does the front end need to be secured in any special way, can a rear stand still be used for the installation? Any info on what to look out for or what to expect when installing something like this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I think most people use the rear stand and then jack the front end by the exhaust system to to get everything off and back on.

With Soupy, or Genmar style risers, is there anything specific to know prior to installing them. I mean is it as simple as removing the stock bolts and putting the risers in place and putting the bolts back in? Once the bolts are removed are the forks gonna come shooting up? Does the front end need to be secured in any special way, can a rear stand still be used for the installation? Any info on what to look out for or what to expect when installing something like this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Rear stand will make things easier for installation, not needed though. The front end does not have to be secured. Straight foward installation.

Thanks for the info, I was not sure if while on the rear stand if the bike would become unstable as soon as the bolts were removed fron the tree and if the forks would come sliding up as well.

Thanks for the info, I was not sure if while on the rear stand if the bike would become unstable as soon as the bolts were removed fron the tree and if the forks would come sliding up as well.

There is another clamp underneath your top clamp.

I just unbolted the 4 bolts, slipped the 1.25 in risers underneath and reinstalled the bolts thats it. Be careful removing the little chrome covers. they will tear up easily. don't ask me why I know:whistle:

I just unbolted the 4 bolts, slipped the 1.25 in risers underneath and reinstalled the bolts thats it. Be careful removing the little chrome covers. they will tear up easily. don't ask me why I know:whistle:

yes they do tear up easily.

Any recommendations on removing them?

Use some kind of thin covering along the edges around the cap.(so u don't scratch the opening) then with a very thin screwdriver or something carefully pry them off. Even with this u will still damage one or two. some come off easy others dont. I was two for four. Just went to the dealer and bought two new ones. Not cheap if I remember. about 12 bucks ???

I tried using a razor blade to slide under them, but they were still damaged. They're just too soft. If I had to remove another set, I'd just plan on replacing them.

Make sure you have a rear stand, and a jack. You will need to place the jack under the bike, and lift it so it lifts the front end of the bike up. Take the four bolts out, and loosen the four clamps on the forks. You then lower the jack slowly until you are able to put the risers under the triple tree, and the hardware. You must reuse all the washers and rubber garmets as well. Once that is on, tighten the four clamps on the forks and your good. As far as the caps on the four bolts, if you dont plan on reusing them, you can take a flat tip, tap it in the center until you puncture it, then take them out. If you do want to use them again, use a razor blade and slowly make your way around the cap until you can lift them off. Hope this helps.

I used the rear stand and loosened the clamp bolts, my forks just eased their way up against the raised top clamp equally. Tightened everything back down. Over a period of months I lost my caps. I'll never do this mod again, but if I did I would use a very small amount of silicone to make sure those boogers stayed in place. Good luck. I'd have a buddy there to stablilize the bike just in case.

Make sure you have a rear stand, and a jack. You will need to place the jack under the bike, and lift it so it lifts the front end of the bike up. Take the four bolts out, and loosen the four clamps on the forks. You then lower the jack slowly until you are able to put the risers under the triple tree, and the hardware. You must reuse all the washers and rubber garmets as well. Once that is on, tighten the four clamps on the forks and your good. As far as the caps on the four bolts, if you dont plan on reusing them, you can take a flat tip, tap it in the center until you puncture it, then take them out. If you do want to use them again, use a razor blade and slowly make your way around the cap until you can lift them off. Hope this helps.

Ok, so then I will need a jack or is it possible without a jack? Also if using the jack I will need to remove the fairings to avoid damage, correct?

Ok, so then I will need a jack or is it possible without a jack? Also if using the jack I will need to remove the fairings to avoid damage, correct?

I did not use any of this. Bike on the side stand. removed the four bolts, raised the plates slipped the risers underneath and used new longer bolts .that's it. Maybe im crazy but that is all i did. I have a 2011 maybe that's why. :poke:

I did not use any of this. Bike on the side stand. removed the four bolts, raised the plates slipped the risers underneath and used new longer bolts .that's it. Maybe im crazy but that is all i did. I have a 2011 maybe that's why. :poke:

That's all I did and I have a 05, anybody that is doing it and the their forks are moving is doing something wrong, all I used was a allen wrench, a box end wrench and a beer lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

That's all I did and I have a 05, anybody that is doing it and the their forks are moving is doing something wrong, all I used was a allen wrench, a box end wrench and a beer lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

:lol: Actually I had a couple of beers:beerchug: They are probably lowering the bike while they are at it. That's the only reason to mess with the forks!

Use a jack. Also another helping hand is recommended. I didnt have to remove my fenders to use the jack. And I loosened the fork clamps because I was lowering the bike.

Back