ring gap?

DStroyer

Registered
Im finally installing my APE studs and nuts, along with the JE turbo pistons on stock bore. I have the base plate also. Ive done a search for the ring gap for these rings, but no luck. I would rather use the info on this site than anywhere else, since you folks have the expierience.

2 questions,
What ring gap would you recommend on stock bore 8:1 pistons?
and
Any particular gasket silicone you would recommend with the .080 spacer plate?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

.014 for the top ring, .018 for the second ring... The top one will come out of the box at about .012, the 2nd ring will come out at .018 and won't require filing. Remember to file from the outside of the ring(face) inward only.

Use Permatex Coppercoat Spray on gasket for the base spacer. (I also used it on the Cometic head gasket, a little trick John Noonan told me).
peace.gif

91 premium for normal use, c12 for dragging at higher boost. Will this affect what the ring gap should be? I will be re-assembling the motor tororrow. (sunday)
Gary

I would agree with ZXALAN on his comments for ring end gap clearance. We like to see .004" per 1.00" of bore diameter on a N/S set up. But being that this is a turbo application (high heat) the .014" Top ring would be perfect to keep the ring end tabs from butting, and we try to open the second ring end gap up to .018" to help bleed off any pressure that passes the compression ring. By opening the second ring end gap (scrapper) it will keep from building pressure (lifting or breaking the seal on the top ring) and let it pass the scrapper ring into the bottom end. You will be amazed at what a vacuum pump will do for you on a boosted application on the dyno, let alone draw enough vacuum to keep the Top ring seated in the compression groove. Good luck on your build.

Back